tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

I think Reed is severely under rated.. A lot of chatter suggested that his good stats were a product of the California league; however, he has all but squashed that with his performance in AA.

In a dynasty league I think he's at least top 50 maybe higher depending which format it is. Guys with his power & approach don't come along too often. I'm a little pissed I didn't get him in my dynasty league, but I still enjoy following him.

I agree with your buddy in theory; talk of him coming up wouldn't be an option had they been a sub 500 team; however, the fact that they have a chance to win now changes everything. Might see a cup of coffee on September 1st. As some have mentioned McCullers was a bit of a surprise, Velázquez more so.

Any rumors of him getting called up? My buddy says he's a 110% sure he will. I just don't see him making the jump. They still got Carter, Gattis, and Singleton. Not that they are anything great but why start the clock?

September playing time will not net a super 2.

I agree with your buddy in theory; talk of him coming up wouldn't be an option had they been a sub 500 team; however, the fact that they have a chance to win now changes everything. Might see a cup of coffee on September 1st. As some have mentioned McCullers was a bit of a surprise, Velázquez more so.

Any rumors of him getting called up? My buddy says he's a 110% sure he will. I just don't see him making the jump. They still got Carter, Gattis, and Singleton. Not that they are anything great but why start the clock?

September playing time will not net a super 2.

No, but it makes gaining an extra year of FA very difficult with every day he plays in 2015. If the Astros let him sit all of 2015, they can basically sit him just under 3 weeks next year and get the extra year before FA hits. While HOU is in win-now mode, they have always been smart at the business angle of service time too. A potentially bigger issue is that Reed isn't even on the 40-man roster, so they'd have to cut someone to make room. Now, in fantasy terms, we always look at guys on the 40-man roster and say someone can be cut, but in real-life terms, those 40 guys usually have more value to organizations than we see.

Given the above, seems way more likely the late April 2016 ETA is in play. Guess we find out tomorrow (when there really is no reason to hold him back if they are thinking this year - if we don't see it, doubt we see anything until the 'Stros get 1 more year of service time under their belt next season).

• Like 2

If you are in a dynasty league and don't have this guy, you are doing it wrong.

If Yahoo had him in the database I'd have had him two months ago. I'm in a keeper league and I'm tempted to trade a 1st and three 2nds to get the #1 overall pick next season just to ensure I get to draft him...assuming Yahoo pulls their heads out of the sand and adds him.

projects as what type of bat?

30+ homers and lots of walks. He could be gold in an OBP league with his power and the amount of plate discipline he has.

By the way, Corpus Christi is in the Texas League division series, so it looks like we're not done with Reed quite yet.

Yeah, Reed's last three games in the playoffs were rough. Probably best to let the kid rest and get ready for AAA for a month or two at the beginning of next season. I think he'll be up just after the Super-2 date next season.

AJ Reed is participating in the AFL. That all but counts him out for getting a call up. I can't imagine them having him play continously through late November without a break.

Edited by JenksDodger

I wonder if Carter's release means he might start the season in the bigs. His ADP would skyrocket :(.

Still not in the ESPN player pool

• Like 1

I wonder if Carter's release means he might start the season in the bigs. His ADP would skyrocket :(.

June is more likely. He was yanked from the AFL for being tired after a long season. Was only hitting .231 so they may use early spring as a way to keep his games played down as well as controlling his clock.

June is more likely. He was yanked from the AFL for being tired after a long season. Was only hitting .231 so they may use early spring as a way to keep his game played down as well as controlling his clock.

I listened to some podcast. It was either Olney or MLBTR where I heard he might start in the majors. I agree with your sentiments, but just relaying what I heard.

That exciting/disappointing. It'd be fun to see him but it also mean he means his price will rise.

I'm sure they'll try to do what they did with Springer by getting him signed to a long-term deal so they can use him immediately. Houston HAS to make a big run this year and Reed is the bat that can make it happen. Hope you guys draft early because if you get this guy below round 10 in redrafts he's the steal of the century.

Chris Davis ISO with the plate presence of Kevin Youkilis.......

hot-dog_2037670i.jpg

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday that the first base job is "Jon Singleton's to lose."

The Astros non-tendered Chris Carter last week, creating an opening for Singleton. The former top prospect has really disappointing so far in his time in the majors, hitting just .171/.290/.331 over 420 plate appearances, but he's still just 24. Singleton will have to play well, though, as top prospect A.J. Reed will be breathing down his neck.

Dec 8 - 7:34 PM