tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow said Tuesday that the first base job is "Jon Singleton's to lose."

The Astros non-tendered Chris Carter last week, creating an opening for Singleton. The former top prospect has really disappointing so far in his time in the majors, hitting just .171/.290/.331 over 420 plate appearances, but he's still just 24. Singleton will have to play well, though, as top prospect A.J. Reed will be breathing down his neck.

Dec 8 - 7:34 PM

They'll give Singleton two months to prove himself and if he's struggling and Reed is crushing they'll make the switch.

Good, I think AJ reed should get some more time in the minors and develop a bit more. No need to rush him

Yeah, I hope AJ still has a window to buy him relatively low. Let Singleton have his day a bit longer. At least until ESPN finally adds him to player pool (any idea when they tend to add new prospects?).

I don't like fat guys on my team so I probably wouldn't touch this guy

Since that article link above cites in it Fangraph's comparison to the Bambino I guess you wouldn't touch Babe Ruth either.

I'm not saying Reed is the next Ruth but I am saying don't just throw out a whole category "type" without looking over each person as an individual in and of their own right.

Swing comp? Any thoughts? Looks so familiar to a pro. I have some ideas, but wondering what you guys think

I don't think that his bat is as quick, but looks a bit like Schwarber with that two hand finish and the way he stays on it to drive it oppo.

I don't like fat guys on my team so I probably wouldn't touch this guy

Yeah, fat guys usually suck, like Prince and Cecil Fielder, MO Vaughn, Dimitri Young, John Kruk, Terry Pendleton, Kirby Puckett, Tony Gwynn, etc... bums. Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 4

So should he open the season in Houston?

I doubt it. After holding Springer back so long you know the team philosophy financially. Plus they already said they are give Singleton first shot.

Edited by tucker26

I doubt it. After holding Springer back so long you know the team philosophy financially. Plus they already said they are give Singleton first shot.

That is what I'm afraid of but got to assume he will be up after the super two deadline

That is what I'm afraid of but got to assume he will be up after the super two deadline

In fairness, when they held Springer back they were an awful team. They rushed up Correa when they were in contention.

• Like 2

In fairness, when they held Springer back they were an awful team. They rushed up Correa when they were in contention.

Singleton's performance will have a huge impact.

From the Astros Top 10 Prospects Chat over at Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/houston-astros-top-10-prospects-chat/[/url]):

Ben (Leland Grove): How confident are you that A.J. Reed doesn't become a fulltime DH for the Astros in the next few years?

J.J. Cooper: Not necessarily confident as I think he could very easily end up as a DH who plays some 1B. His bat is good enough to provide a lot of value as a DH.

Brian S. (Houston, TX): Pretty bold to go with Reed at #1, love it. I take it you're pretty sold on him as a hitter, rather than just a guy with big power. Just how big of an offensive threat do you see him as at the ML level?

J.J. Cooper: Its hard to find a minor league hitter with a better track record than Reed right now. He was our College Player of the Year 2 years ago. He was runner-up for Minor League Player of the Year this year. He hits wherever he goes. Reed doesnt have exceptional bat speed, but he does have an outstanding ability to put bat to ball with exceptional power. The combination of power, understanding of the strike zone and ability to make contact is pretty special.

Mitchell Baker (Indiana University): What is AJ Reed's ceiling? Also, I know comps are hard, but do you have one for him?

J.J. Cooper: How about a Ryan Howard upside? I know he tailed off but from 2005-2010 Howard was very impressive.

Mitch (Moreland): Obviously not a fair comp for anyone, but how does Reed's profile compare to Goldscmidt's at the same stage?

J.J. Cooper: Hes not the athlete Goldschmidt is. That would be the difference to me.

Reuben (Durham, NC): So scouts are not still concerned about AJ Reed's "lack" of bat speed? I'm just surprised to see him leapfrog the likes of Bregman, Daz, and Tucker when he seemed like this type of player in college.

J.J. Cooper: There are still concerns. We have a lot of fun debates about Reed in the BA offices. You can find skeptics who think his outstanding NCAA and MILB production wont translate. But you can also find evaluators who think he is a future star. I dont trust my own eyes too much as I like to talk to a lot of scouts but I was very impressed with his ability to spoil pitch after pitch with two strikes.

Sticking at 1b would be nice, but dont mind him much at DH if he's putting up the impressive numbers Im expecting. Could be like having Ortiz the last 3-4 years without having to worry each year if this is the year he realizes he's old. I'd be 100% fine with that.

From Dan Farnsworth at Fangraphs:

Reed continues to exceed even the Astros’ highest expectations, particularly in the batting-average department. His best numbers came in the hitter-friendly California League, though he has hit at every stop so far in his minor league career. He’s limited to first base because of his well below-average speed, though he has good hands, decent reactions and a great arm. The Astros’ minor league coaches believe he is one of the best hitters they have had in a long time, and I have to agree with them.

Reed has 65 raw power, though there may be more upside because of a great swing and approach. Some scouts have questions about his swing limiting his hit tool, with many opinions saying it’s too long of a path, slowing down his bat speed. While his lead arm does get extended right before he starts his swing, his upper body never looks rigid or incapable of adjusting to the pitch. And most of what looks like length is him getting into the line of the pitch as well as — if not better than — nearly every minor league hitter.

That he complements all that with a solid game plan of attacking good pitches to hit, laying off pitchers’ pitches and the ability to hit line drives and deep fly balls to all fields, I would argue his hit tool is already above average, with a very real chance of being as good as his power tool. To me, he looks like a near-elite overall hitter, and definitely has the tools and mentality to keep his strikeout rate right where it is as he advances. His approach and power will allow his walk rate to translate well against major league pitching, which could effectively propel him into plus-plus territory with the bat, even if his strikeouts increased, as well.

Reed still has to demonstrate success against high-minors pitching to prove he’s ready for the big leagues, but it may be a matter of months before he’s manning first base in Houston. Don’t buy into the bat-speed argument. This guy’s going to hit.

Rest of the article here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/evaluating-the-2016-prospects-houston-astros/

• Like 1

On a standard 260 budget with keepers, how much money are people willing to spend? $10, $15, $20?