tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

White is absolutely a place holder for AJ Reed at first base. That being said, white could play some DH or maybe 3rd in a pinch of spill AJ Reed once in a while.

White is a good hitter but I don't think he is the caliber of Reed. White only made the team over Reed because they rather delay Reeds service time than Whites. They both hit well in ST but even if Reed hit 10 bombs in spring training I fully expected him to start in the minors. If he hit 10 bombs, he would be up faster.

If white hits well and Reed struggles at AAA, then it might delay the switch...but I still think it's inevitable.

Tyler White is a DH. So Gattis is the one in trouble if he sucks coming back from injury.

Edited by dod959

If this guy has so much potential what's up with the relatively low prospect ranking he looks like he should be a top 10 guy because of his bat

If this guy has so much potential what's up with the relatively low prospect ranking he looks like he should be a top 10 guy because of his bat

There are for the most looking at real baseball value versus fantasy baseball.

Scouts like to grade prospects on the 5 tools, hitting, hitting for power, running, throwing and fielding.

Reed is a major plus for hitting and hitting for power. However he probably grades low on the other 3 tools.

Because he plays 1B only and isn't the most athletic dude you'll see.

1st basemen get no love because they are limited on defense. A good defensive SS who can hit just a little bit is uber valuable because you can basically play him anywhere. If the bat develops more, his value becomes insane.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-baseball-america-top-100-prospects-free/#ZltfyxDgKVJbiu5C.97

Jose Abreu who was a polished hitter in his prime. 29.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Non premium defensive position plus average skills at that position.

His only ticket to playing time is his bat. Other prospects have more options so they get higher rankings.

Then again all we care about for fantasy purposes is the bat. Hes an elite fantasy propect IMO.

If you look at lists that are geared more towards fantasy you will see he is ranked higher.

Baseball Prospectus has him at #12

Roto baller has him at #7

Baseball America has him at #11

Fake teams has him at #19

I know all of these aren't the best fantasy sites but it was just a quick Google search

dumb question, but when is the super 2 deadline this year?

if Reed mashes it in AAA, is it safe to assume his situation will be similar to Kris Bryant's last year?

dumb question, but when is the super 2 deadline this year?

if Reed mashes it in AAA, is it safe to assume his situation will be similar to Kris Bryant's last year?

I forget the difference, but Bryant was before Super 2, it was only 2 weeks in.

Id expect Reed up 6/1 or earlier.

• Like 1

Super 2 is a moving date because it deals with percentages that play out as the season goes along, usually in July. Super 2 has to do with gaining an extra year before palyer is eligable for arbitration and the short wait time you saw with Bryant last year had to do with service time, gaining another year of control over the players contract (not arbitration). I could be wrong, but this is my understanding. So, hopefully for those of you waiting for Reed, it very well could be the short wait like Bryant,

Can I get a mlb comparison?

Rizzo.

Reed won't steal bases though.

I meant as a hitter, but while we're on the topic. Rizzo had 17 steals last year and 16 the 4 previous seasons.

I wouldn't be drafting Rizzo to get 15 steals.

• Like 1

thats not a very ringing endorsement

Freeman with a bit more power is an all star every year. Would probably be in the MVP conversation most years...

• Like 2

Freeman with a bit more power is an all star every year. Would probably be in the MVP conversation most years...

i guess it depends on how much weight you wannt put on the "all-star" tag....but thats neither here nor there.

I feel like Anthony Rizzo is a better comparison

huh? Freemand AND Rizzo are both great fantasy assets. Freeman isn't as valuable because os his team. Stick Freeman on the Astros, and woah.

• Like 1

i dunno...im just not as high on freeman as some are. he could change that this year though

25 HR with a good average (when healthy) in the middle of my lineup. If Reed does that, I'm cool. Seems like he has a bit more power. Hopefully as good of a contact.

I'm so awfully confused on how Freeman with more power isn't a favorable comp.

What do you want? A Harper comp for every prospect? Freeman has been a top-50 to top-100 pick each of the past three years? And we're adding to that?

Even if you aren't a fan of Freeman, you can't deny that .285/20 is valuable. And that's a fairly conservative Freeman, whose career best season was .319/23... and we're talking about slightly more pop?

Freeman's a few points away from being a .300/.400/.500 hitter at 26.

Again what do you want?

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

I think people want someone to come up this year and single handedly win them their fantasy league.

AJ Reed is not that guy. I think he's going to be at worst a top 10 1b for fantasy in the future (and pretty optimistic), which is a really damn good player, with possible top 5 upside at the position.

Edited by brockpapersizer