tm30

AJ Reed - 1B HOU

I think people want someone to come up this year and single handedly win them their fantasy league.

AJ Reed is not that guy. I think he's going to be at worst a top 10 1b for fantasy in the future (and pretty optimistic), which is a really damn good player, with possible top 5 upside at the position.

What would you project this season?

I think people want someone to come up this year and single handedly win them their fantasy league.

AJ Reed is not that guy. I think he's going to be at worst a top 10 1b for fantasy in the future (and pretty optimistic), which is a really damn good player, with possible top 5 upside at the position.

What would you project this season?

It's almost impossible to project for a rookie in a small sample size.

He has power, he has patience, and he's going to be on one of the best offensive teams. There's a lot to like. Strictly from a this year production standpoint, I cant think of many position players who have the chance to produce more that haven't been called up.

I'm looking at Reed, Kepler, Gallo, Nick Williams, Bradley Zimmer, and Mazara.

I think Reed has a chance to hit for the most power and average, Mazara could too.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

For the state of the Astros and their need for AJ Reed:

Marwin Gonzalez started today at 1B. 0/4 3Ks

Tyler White PH for DH Preston Tucker in the 7th. Singled and HBP.

Uninspiring from both 1B and DH pos. today. Both of where Reed fits.

i dunno...im just not as high on freeman as some are. he could change that this year though

25 HR with a good average (when healthy) in the middle of my lineup. If Reed does that, I'm cool. Seems like he has a bit more power. Hopefully as good of a contact.

Freeman's never hit 25 HR in his career and the lineup he hits in is the worst in the league.

I mean he's a great player but let's be realistic. Though I think Freeman + more power is a great comparison for Reed.

For the state of the Astros and their need for AJ Reed:

Marwin Gonzalez started today at 1B. 0/4 3Ks

Tyler White PH for DH Preston Tucker in the 7th. Singled and HBP.

Uninspiring from both 1B and DH pos. today. Both of where Reed fits.

Maybe you should be counting Preston Tucker AB's. 1-2 with a double. So the DH position was 2/3 with a HBP. Marwin Gonzalez did look pretty bad at the plate today, though. Hinch already said Tyler White would be getting the start tomorrow.

Edited by jctexan

I honestly wouldn't be that concerned with everyone else. I project Reed is better than all of them. His time will come this year.

Forget comps. Reed is gonna be good. That's all that matters. Everyone can use a 30 HR 1B in the middle of one of the best lineups in baseball.

• Like 2

Any chance he gets called up within the next month.

Edited by The Harsh
Removed BC content.

Any chance he gets called up within the next month.

I would say unlikely, possible. An injury could make that happen, especially if he's tearing it up. Astros are contenders this year and were very aggressive on Correa.

Edited by brockpapersizer

IMO, if Tyler White keeps playing well, the Astros will completely comfortable leaving Reed in the minors through Super 2.

Basically, plan on Super 2, but keep an eye on their current 1B production with White and Gonzalez as an indicator of they will call him up sooner.

IMO, if Tyler White keeps playing well, the Astros will completely comfortable leaving Reed in the minors through Super 2.

Basically, plan on Super 2, but keep an eye on their current 1B production with White and Gonzalez as an indicator of they will call him up sooner.

When is Super 2 deadline expected to be? Mid-May?

usually the beginning of june

This. Correa got the call on June 8 last year for context. It's important to note its a sliding scale, so teams build in a slight buffer from the normal June 1-ish time frame.

Has your guys' estimation of his call up been pushed back at all with White's performance?

Was actually listening to Rotowire podcast and they discussed and came to the conclusion I did. Reed will be up in a bit if he's hitting, regardless of White. DH will be a battle between White/Gattis, and talks about Gattis playing some catcher are an attempt to get all 3 in the lineup.

I personally strongly feel Reed is the superior hitter of the three, and I think White could be better than Gattis.

• Like 1