Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYR Fan 116894

Dansby Swanson - SS ATL

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/137651852/dansby-swanson-shows-character-in-arizona

Dansby Swanson has accomplished a lot on a baseball field, but the No. 1 overall pick in last month's Draft still feels he has something to prove.

First-round picks typically take batting practice on the field, but on Monday, Swanson's first full day in Arizona, he declined.

"Whenever I get the chance to earn it, that's when I'll be doing that," Swanson said.

Swanson's formal introduction to the D-backs came on Sunday night when he and his family had dinner with manager Chip Hale, general manager Dave Stewart, chief baseball officer Tony La Russa and other members of the organization.

"Wonderful kid, very confident, but he knows where he is and what he has to do to get here -- to the big leagues," Hale said.

Hale was impressed with Swanson's character and feels the 21-year old will be a valuable asset in the clubhouse as well as on the field.

"He's a leader, and those type of guys are hard to find these days," Hale said. "We have a few of those guys in our clubhouse, and I know wherever he goes, he's going to be a leader of whatever club he goes to, and hopefully that's how he develops."

The shortstop will begin his journey with a brief stint in the Arizona League and will then report to Class A Advanced Visalia.

"My goal obviously since I was little is just to be the best I can," Swanson said. "I have a lot of belief in myself that one day I can be one of the better players in this league. But right now I'm just taking it day by day and taking each moment as it comes."

Just like every other prospect, Swanson hopes to reach the Majors as soon as possible, and his exceptional collegiate career could eventually play a big part in expediting that process.

Swanson hit .335 with 45 extra-base hits during his junior season at Vanderbilt, but it was the coaching he received and the culture he was a part of that really impressed Hale.

Swanson also acknowledged that Vanderbilt was a special place and that he learned a lot during his three seasons there.

"Coach [Tim] Corbin, being able to learn from him and some of the other guys that would come back -- David Price, Sonny Gray, Mikey Myers, Pedro Alvarez," Swanson said. "When they are able to come back and share their knowledge with you, it's pretty cool because you're able to implement some of that and what you're good at and put it together."

Swanson has been able to put together all he's learned so far, and if he continues to do so through various levels of the Minor Leagues, he'll eventually be doing much more at Chase Field than just taking batting practice.

"David Price, Sonny Gray, Mikey Myers, Pedro Alvarez"

Please don't take advice from Pedro Alvarez

You guys don't know how mad I am about the trade... I'm disgusted.

I hope Swanson does really well in Atlanta. I don't mind the Braves.

I still can't believe Arizona gave him up. As a Mets fan though, I do mind that he's now on the Braves. :lol:

I still can't believe Arizona gave him up. As a Mets fan though, I do mind that he's now on the Braves. :lol:

You do, at least a little, wonder if AZ saw something and sold high. (But still maybe you still could have sold a little higher regardless).

You do, at least a little, wonder if AZ saw something and sold high. (But still maybe you still could have sold a little higher regardless).

If Arizona saw something and sold high then they should fire everyone involved in scouting and talent evaluation.

Nick J. Faleris @NickJFaleris 2h2 hours ago

Going to be fun watching folks fall in love with Dansby Swanson this summer. Glove/arm are underreported, as is power potential.

Interesting take by Faleris. Curious to know what he means by "underreported power potential." Wonder how much power potential Faleris sees in Swanson.

David O'Brien Verified account @DOBrienAJC Mar 16

Chipper said he had a 10-15 minute conversation this morning w/ SS Dansby Swanson. Impressed. Said everyone in #Braves org loves the kid.

CJ Wittmann @CJWittJr 4h4 hours ago

#braves Swanson plus bat speed; room for growth in frame; 4.2 from RS; clean swing path; feel for barrel; athlete. 5/6 SS, quality actions.

Nick J. Faleris ‏@NickJFaleris 2h2 hours ago

Going to be fun watching folks fall in love with Dansby Swanson this summer. Glove/arm are underreported, as is power potential.

Interesting take by Faleris. Curious to know what he means by "underreported power potential." Wonder how much power potential Faleris sees in Swanson.

Everything Ive read has him being a 12-15 HR type. If he could go north of that, itd be gravy.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20160404&content_id=170392334&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t249&tcid=tw_article_170392334

Looks like Swanson is headed to A+ and Albies to AA as they attempt to keep both starting at SS daily.

I think most people thought they'd be reversed...

I think Albies is the more polished player right now and warrants the AA placement over Swanson. Both guys are going to be really, really good major leaguers.

Looks like Swanson could be in Salem, VA to play the Redsox team Thursday-Friday-Saturday.

Devers, Moncada, Benintendi and Swanson all on the same field potentially. Sounds like a great road trip to me.

He's killing it in High A ball. Normally I'd say he won't last long in Carolina, but with Albies in Double A and the Braves wanting them at different levels, I'm not sure what the plan is going forward. Swanson is just too good for High A ball.

does he get a call up this year? He's owned at 25% in CBS which is a lot at this point......

does he get a call up this year? He's owned at 25% in CBS which is a lot at this point......

The Braves have 2 really talented shortstops...Swanson and Albies. I think the fact that they sent Swanson to A+ Carolina and Albies to AA Mississippi says a lot about how they see these guys. Both guys are polished, but I really think Albies' hit tool will allow him to transition a little faster. Swanson probably has the greater future upside, but I would imagine that Albies is more likely to get a call up than Swanson in 2016. Hard to go from A+ ball to the majors.

The Braves have 2 really talented shortstops...Swanson and Albies. I think the fact that they sent Swanson to A+ Carolina and Albies to AA Mississippi says a lot about how they see these guys. Both guys are polished, but I really think Albies' hit tool will allow him to transition a little faster. Swanson probably has the greater future upside, but I would imagine that Albies is more likely to get a call up than Swanson in 2016. Hard to go from A+ ball to the majors.

good stuff - as an outsider though I have to ask if theres a long term plan here....you have to figure Swanson should be ready to go sometime in 2017....are they going to block a top 10 prospect in MLB at his position?

good stuff - as an outsider though I have to ask if theres a long term plan here....you have to figure Swanson should be ready to go sometime in 2017....are they going to block a top 10 prospect in MLB at his position?

Honestly, after seeing both guys play, I'm not sure who is the better prospect. Albies is barely tall enough to ride most roller coasters but the guy can hit. He never seems to get out. He showed great poise and confidence this spring and it's carried over to AA ball this year. Albies is hitting .350/.409 despite being 1.3 years younger than any other player in the Southern League...and the youngest player in any AA league.

Swanson makes everything looks easy and is just a super graceful prospect. He's super talented, but the fact that he went to A+ ball and Albies went to AA kind of goes along with what I see. Albies' hit tool and overall "gamerness" makes him seem like a great bet to be a very good major league player. Albies hit .371 this spring in major league games and had a .421 OBP.

My point is that Swanson may very well be a top 10 prospect, but Albies is no slouch in his own right. It should be very interesting to see how this situation unfolds. I own them both in my dynasty league and I'm pretty happy about it.

Honestly, after seeing both guys play, I'm not sure who is the better prospect. Albies is barely tall enough to ride most roller coasters but the guy can hit. He never seems to get out. He showed great poise and confidence this spring and it's carried over to AA ball this year. Albies is hitting .350/.409 despite being 1.3 years younger than any other player in the Southern League...and the youngest player in any AA league.

Swanson makes everything looks easy and is just a super graceful prospect. He's super talented, but the fact that he went to A+ ball and Albies went to AA kind of goes along with what I see. Albies' hit tool and overall "gamerness" makes him seem like a great bet to be a very good major league player. Albies hit .371 this spring in major league games and had a .421 OBP.

My point is that Swanson may very well be a top 10 prospect, but Albies is no slouch in his own right. It should be very interesting to see how this situation unfolds. I own them both in my dynasty league and I'm pretty happy about it.

Albies reminds me a lot of where Mookie Betts was when he was 18-19. If I'm the Braves, I just move one to 2B or CF now and call it a day because I'm pretty certain both guys are MLB talents.

Jace Peterson is not good enough to hold these guys back. By opening day 2018, Albies and Swanson should be the middle infield duo in Atlanta, with Peterson probably a 2B/3B/LF backup. How quickly they make it depends on their performance, and Atlanta's desire to hold back their service time.

Hudson Belinsky@hudsonbelinsky 19h19 hours ago

B1: Dansby Swanson ripped a 95 mph fastball from Staumont for a hard line drive to left field, a double.

B3: Swanson wins his second battle against Staumont. After falling behind 1-2, he lays off a few close ones and works a walk. Impressive.

B7: Dansby Swanson walks on five pitches, does not swing. He has a double and three walks tonight.

Dansby Swanson was impressive tonight. He showed range & instincts on defense. He showed very solid plate discipline, and a mature approach.

Swanson has a couple things to work on, but his tools are really exciting.