Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYR Fan 116894

Dansby Swanson - SS ATL

I firmly believe Albies is the SS of the future and I think the Braves believe it too by assigning him to AA over Dansby to start the year. With that said, would Dansby become the 2B or 3B in this scenario?

Obviously, his bat wouldn't play as well at 3B. I think its been assumed all along that the "other" guy would move to 2B but I guess there is a small chance for Swanson to move to 3B if he doesn't get the starting SS gig, no chance Albies moves there.

Braves have Rio Ruiz (21) and Austin Riley (19) as potential 3B options. Both still with plenty of question marks but nobody is standing in the way of the 2B job

And first real HR of the year - the other one was an inside-the-parker.

Swanson and Albies will definitely both be the middle infield tandem of the future - there's no one standing in their way at either position. Adonis Garcia is doing a decent job at 3B right now, Riley is theoretically the future, and Ruiz will probably get a chance to establish himself this year or next.

I firmly believe Albies is the SS of the future and I think the Braves believe it too by assigning him to AA over Dansby to start the year. With that said, would Dansby become the 2B or 3B in this scenario?

I don't think this is a safe assumption. I doubt even the Braves know yet. Albies might have been placed in AA and Swanson in A so they both could keep getting reps at SS, and since he has been in their system longer, Albies was placed in AA. I haven't read or seen anything re: which guy they have penciled in at 2B and SS.

Jace Peterson is not good enough to hold these guys back. By opening day 2018, Albies and Swanson should be the middle infield duo in Atlanta, with Peterson probably a 2B/3B/LF backup. How quickly they make it depends on their performance, and Atlanta's desire to hold back their service time.

As a Peterson owner, I'm disappointed in his demotion today. As a Swanson owner, I'm pleased. There's no way that Andrus or Peterson holds back Swanson now. Only Swanson (and his arb clock) determine his schedule. My bet goes on June 2017.

Braves up the middle this year has been atrocious, they needed to do something

A lot of Braves writers seem to think they want Albies and Swanson up during the second half. Seems pretty dumb to me, but it has been written lately by them.

Keep it up big guy, Braves sure could use you and Albies sooner rather than later. Articles I've read about him suggest he's a really good student of the game and that other players on the team gravitate to him as a leader. High baseball IQ will only help him continue to adapt. Would love to see him get a cup of coffee in September but either way I fully expect him to compete for a job at the MLB level next Spring.

Justin Rocke @JustinRocke 12m12 minutes ago

Unbelievable. Smokies game ended around 10 PM. Dansby Swanson is still on the field signing autographs 30+ after the final out. Unreal.

Justin Rocke @JustinRocke 10m10 minutes ago

As I tweeted that he ran into the dugout to grab a baseball for a little girl. I have never seen anything like this. Kudos @LieutenantDans7.

Picked him up in my keeper last night? Only keep 4.

What are the chances he gets the call this season?

So far, so good in AA. Thru 97 at bats he has more walks than strike outs 11/10, .299 average with a .382 OBP and OPS of .856...sprinkle in 2 steals and 3 homeruns and it looks like he's handled the jump very well. I think it's clear he'd already be better than anything the Braves have in the majors right now, I am leaning more and more towards the chance of him being up this year at some point. They are incredibly bad up the middle and could use the help desperately.

I'm not so sure Atlanta wants the help this year. And I imagine Albies would get called up first if a MI went down.

So far, so good in AA. Thru 97 at bats he has more walks than strike outs 11/10, .299 average with a .382 OBP and OPS of .856...sprinkle in 2 steals and 3 homeruns and it looks like he's handled the jump very well. I think it's clear he'd already be better than anything the Braves have in the majors right now, I am leaning more and more towards the chance of him being up this year at some point. They are incredibly bad up the middle and could use the help desperately.

Braves couldn't care less about how bad they are this year. They are building for the future and will not do anything in the bigs this year to go against that plan.

FWIW I'm a Braves fan and I'm happy with the path we are taking, just unwatchable right now.

If Swanson and Albies aren't up this year it will be surprising. I think Albies could be up next month if he had been playing better (too many errors and been around .240 so far). Swanson will be up in September at least. Its the worst kept secret that they want him to be opening day SS at the new ballpark next season

4 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

No update for a month? How's he hitting lately?

Not the best month for him. He's hitting around .220 in June with only one homer. 22K to 6BB. Not the best sign, but the adjustment to A to AA is a pretty big one. I think he will be up in September if at all this year. Arizona is still insane for trading him.