Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYR Fan 116894

Wilkerman Garcia - SS NYY

Garcia is only 17 as he's a '98 birthday and signed in the 2014 J2 international signing period. But he's starting to get some buzz.

From a Ben Badler chat from July 15th:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-chat-5/

Mike (Ny ny): What do you think of what wilkerman Garcia is doing in the GCL as a 17 year old. What is the scouting report on him?

Ben Badler: A lot of the Yankees’ 2014 IFA signings are off to great starts, but Garcia might be the best prospect of them all. He missed time early with a hamstring injury, but I’ve heard the tools are significantly improved from a year ago, and he’s always been a smart player with a sweet swing and a good approach. I want to see more of a track record on the field, but his stock could go up very, very quickly.

From a Ben Badler chat from July 24th:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-july-24/

Steve (Queens): We know about young guys like Lara, Robles, and Espinoza bursting onto the scene recently. Are there any other teenage guys off to good starts that could be potential stars?

Ben Badler: If you want to keep in beneath the full-season leagues, Yankees SS Wilkerman Garcia is making a huge impression in the GCL. One of several big-bonus international signings last year from the organization and he’s probably going to be the highest-ranked one at the end of the season. Sweet swing and advanced approach from both sides of the plate and the reports I have on the tools are better than they were when he signed.

From a Ben Badler chat from July 28th:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/baseball-america-prospect-chat-6/

Scott Solomon (Henderson, NV): Which player has more upside? Wilkerman Garcia or Jorge Mateo? If you had to guess which player would be more likely to be the future shortstop of the New York Yankees?

Ben Badler: That’s going to be a close call come Prospect Handbook time. The only problem is Wilkerman hasn’t stayed healthy during the regular season, but the scouts I’ve talked to who followed him during extended spring training and the GCL season say his tools are better than they were when he signed. Mateo is a true 80 runner, but Wilkerman’s running plus now with a plus arm and he’s always had a smooth bat and an advanced approach from both sides. Mateo’s further along and the better athlete, but Garcia has the higher pure offensive upside. I’m big on both.

Also:

Ben Badler @BenBadler 8h8 hours ago

If I'm trading with the Yankees, player I want thrown in the deal is Wilkerman Garcia. Young SS on the rise, some prefer him to Jorge Mateo.

He's in the GCL right now, so he's a ways off, but the reports seem glowing. Keep an eye on this one.

Hey man I just wanted to thank you for posting these threads. At least for me I always discover these really exciting guys way before they are added in my league. You helped me land baby Pedro.

This kid sounds interesting. Do you know how he would compare to Dermis Garcia? Part of me thought this was another name of his or something. Crazy to see a scout say him over Mateo.

2-4 w/ 2RBI today brings his average to .312 on the year.. VERY impressive for a kid that was 16 years old in March. Has 14BB compared to 11K's in 20 games in the GCL. Small sample size, yes.. but I'm impressed nonetheless..

From BP Bronx:

Wilkerman Garcia, SS

The Yankees 2014 July 2nd signing class was one of the biggest ever, with the Yankees signing many of the top-rated Latin prospects. There are plenty of names signed by the Yankees with huge potential, and many players have already gotten off to a fast start with the team. One of these players, who might just be the best of the crop, has flown under the radar. Wilkerman Garcia signed for $1.35 million last season out of Venezuela, the 12th largest bonus in the class. At just 17-years old, he’s already made a significant impression on many scouts.

When Garcia first signed, the switch hitter had what many considered an advanced bat, along with possibly plus speed and a plus arm at shortstop, (he should be able to stick at the position). Already, Garcia had the makings of an impressive prospect. But now reports are coming in that Garcia’s tools have ticked up a notch since signing. Garcia’s just starting to get broken into professional ball in the Gulf Coast League this season, but he has a very impressive all around package. As with any July 2nd signing, Garcia is light years away from the big leagues, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see his name mentioned among elite prospects in a couple of years. In fact, some scouts are already saying that Garcia has more offensive upside than top shortstop prospect Jorge Mateo.

Also a bit on Garcia's season here: http://pinstripedprospects.com/prospects-on-the-rise-wilkerman-garcia-9410

Ranked as the #9th prospect in the Yankees org by Baseball America.. He could sky rocket up prospect in 2016 and doesn't even turn 18 until April. One of my favorite dynasty prospects right here.

Jon Sickles (Minorleagueball.com) ranked him as the Yankees #7 prospect..

7) Wilkerman Garcia, SS, Grade B-: Age 17, hit .281/.396/.347 with 25 walks, 19 strikeouts in 121 at-bats in Gulf Coast League, signed for $1,350,000 in 2014 as part of huge Yankees international class, definitely the most advanced of the lot at this point as several of the others (notably Dermis Garcia, Juan De Leon) have been disappointing or mediocre so far. Wilkerman shows excellent strike zone judgment, runs well, may develop some power, has tools for shortstop but needs experience. Could plausibly be at the top of this list within 12 months.

Jon Sickles (Minorleagueball.com) ranked him as the Yankees #7 prospect..

7) Wilkerman Garcia, SS, Grade B-: Age 17, hit .281/.396/.347 with 25 walks, 19 strikeouts in 121 at-bats in Gulf Coast League, signed for $1,350,000 in 2014 as part of huge Yankees international class, definitely the most advanced of the lot at this point as several of the others (notably Dermis Garcia, Juan De Leon) have been disappointing or mediocre so far. Wilkerman shows excellent strike zone judgment, runs well, may develop some power, has tools for shortstop but needs experience. Could plausibly be at the top of this list within 12 months.

That last line from Sickels is worth noting.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/03/yankees_hyped_shortstop_prospect_hurts_shoulder.html

A highly regarded Yankees prospect has been hurt for a while this spring and there isn't a timetable for his return.

Yankees vice president of player development Gary Denbo told NJ Advance Media 17-year-old shortstop Wilkerman Garcia is dealing with right shoulder soreness.

Denbo said he wasn't sure when Garcia would be back and declined comment when asked what happened to him. The Yankees gave Garcia a $1.35-million signing bonus in 2014. General manager Brian Cashman said he didn't have any information on the injury.

I do not know a ton about this kid, and for that I apologize.

I have this nugget from a BP chat:

Eric (DC): This summer's Victor Robles?

Jeffrey Paternostro: Oh how about Wilkerman Garcia? ...

He cited that a lot of the industry scouts Staten Island. Makes sense, we see a lot of Yankees prospects (and Cubs, Sox, sometimes Dodgers) end up getting hype.

Good article here:

http://yanksgoyard.com/2016/05/25/yankees-prospect-profile-number-5-wilkerman-garcia/

Scouting grades (Courtesy of MLB Pipeline): Hit: 55 | Power: 40 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 50

Seen by many scouts as the crown jewel of New York’s 2014-2015 international spending spree, Wilkerman Garcia has earned rave reviews in his brief stint in the Yankees system. Garcia was ranked as the seventh best available international prospect by Baseball America when he signed with the Yankees for $1.35 million as a 16-year-old out of Venezuela.

I searched the forum and didn't see a topic created for him. Ahh. Thanks for the link.