Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robrain

2015 Team Defense/ST and Kicker Thread

I like Dolphins D vs Banged up Baltimore this week.

Hey! The lowly Browns who defend absolutely nothing got a top 5 result due to a pick 6 off Schaub. Miserable Miami could do the same. Take a look at the other side. Miami is bad enough to play right into the Ravens 3 game skein.

Anyone picking up Lions in advance of the Rams game next week? Seems real tempting as a first week playoff matchup.

I have them stashed for weeks 14 and 16; they're playing the 9ers.

Yup, me too.

For week 14, would you guys play the Lions over the Rams?

I might. St Louis DST have not been good; their offense leaves them on the field too long.

I like Dolphins D vs Banged up Baltimore this week.

Hey! The lowly Browns who defend absolutely nothing got a top 5 result due to a pick 6 off Schaub. Miserable Miami could do the same. Take a look at the other side. Miami is bad enough to play right into the Ravens 3 game skein.

Baltimore looked fairly competent last game, even Schaub besides his pick 6. So I think starting Miami D could end in disaster if he takes care of the ball, which may or may not happen. They scored -3 against NYJ who don't have a particularly strong QB either.

Rolling w/ Houston this week. Highest scoring D for the past few weeks, they look legit.

KC was in the same exact position until last week against Buffalo. Not saying the Texans can't buck the trend, but Buffalo has been putting up a good amount of yards and points many weeks. Buffalo isn't a favorable match up.

The last 4 weeks no team defense has scored more than 7 fantasy points against Buffalo. The Bills only have two weeks where defenses scored more than 10 points against them. Week 2 NE game where the Bills took 8 sacks and threw 3 INT, but the Bills still put up over 30 points and a lot of yards. And the week the Jags played them, but it was against EJ Manuel at QB and the Jags had two defensive TDs.

The way they've been playing, I'm not worried about a middle of the road Buffalo offense. Are they a lock for 7+? Of course not, but they are playing as well as, if not better than, any other D in the league. Fire them up!

For Defense.

L#1

Vikings vs Seahawks

Or

Steelers vs Colts

L#2

Bengals @ Browns

Texans @ Bills

I'm leaning on steelers home game vs colts.

Managed to pick up Bengals someone had dropped them. Going with them for L#2 vs a struggling browns offense.

Your guys thoughts?

Rolling w/ Houston this week. Highest scoring D for the past few weeks, they look legit.

KC was in the same exact position until last week against Buffalo. Not saying the Texans can't buck the trend, but Buffalo has been putting up a good amount of yards and points many weeks. Buffalo isn't a favorable match up.

The last 4 weeks no team defense has scored more than 7 fantasy points against Buffalo. The Bills only have two weeks where defenses scored more than 10 points against them. Week 2 NE game where the Bills took 8 sacks and threw 3 INT, but the Bills still put up over 30 points and a lot of yards. And the week the Jags played them, but it was against EJ Manuel at QB and the Jags had two defensive TDs.

The way they've been playing, I'm not worried about a middle of the road Buffalo offense. Are they a lock for 7+? Of course not, but they are playing as well as, if not better than, any other D in the league. Fire them up!

And like I said before, KC was also one of the hottest defenses until running into Buffalo last week. The Bills are also at home this week. I really don't think it is as favorable as everyone thinks. I think 7-9 points would be hopeful, but realistic expectations should be in the 3-6 range.

I could be wrong, but the match up sets up very similar to the KC one from last week.

For Defense.

L#1

Vikings vs Seahawks

Or

Steelers vs Colts

L#2

Bengals @ Browns

Texans @ Bills

I'm leaning on steelers home game vs colts.

Managed to pick up Bengals someone had dropped them. Going with them for L#2 vs a struggling browns offense.

Your guys thoughts?

The Bengals are a quality play. The Steelers have yielded 10 passing TDs in the past 3 games, face a veteran QB routinely exploiting the opposition's weaknesses and IMO figure to yield more points than the current line suggests. I would rather play the Texans of your current choices but neither strikes me as a particularly strong play.

Detroit D can probably be dropped now that they're totally out of it, right?

What a bummer. They had an incredible playoff schedule - week 14 @STL (32nd ranked offense) and week 16 v. SF (31st ranked offense and terrible on the road).

Anyone think they're still worth using?

And like I said before, KC was also one of the hottest defenses until running into Buffalo last week. The Bills are also at home this week. I really don't think it is as favorable as everyone thinks. I think 7-9 points would be hopeful, but realistic expectations should be in the 3-6 range.

I could be wrong, but the match up sets up very similar to the KC one from last week.

We will see. I dont think its a favorable matchup necessarily, but i like what ive seen and the Bills arent world beaters. Playing them confidently, i will be back sunday afternoon and we can see whos gut feeling was correct.

I have Tennessee, and with Hurns out, that's a plus, but still wonder about it. I could get CHI (SF), TB, MIA, or WAS....any of those a slam dunk over TEN?

I have Tennessee, and with Hurns out, that's a plus, but still wonder about it. I could get CHI (SF), TB, MIA, or WAS....any of those a slam dunk over TEN?

My wife is doing the same. Her rationale is Bortles mistake prone game. I see that. But he also has a habit of still putting up numbers and last week demonstrated that this defense can be exploited quite effectively. It's a borderline play to me. Of your choices both Washington and Chicago appeal more. Good luck.

What a bummer. They had an incredible playoff schedule - week 14 @STL (32nd ranked offense) and week 16 v. SF (31st ranked offense and terrible on the road).

I own Detroit in 2 of my 3 leagues and that's a recent addition for the playoffs. Teams with less incentive can be mistakes but my plan always was to see what the Chiefs do this week vs the Raiders without Justin Houston before deciding on week 14.

I just heard that 2 offensive linemen will be out for Buffalo for the Buf-Hou game.

The Texans defense might still be a great play after all.

Im still considering picking up the colts man...their playoff sched looks real nice, and im a Denver owner.. week 15/16 against pitt and cinci scare me....so im going to roster another D/ST this week and decider in weeks 15/16 who the play is

just dropped Broncos DST for the Redskins DST after riding them threw out damn near all year.. I just need a shake up, lost two back to back weeks.

Let's hope I didn't make a mistake.

fair enough..denvber is not a must play, but there is still worst options....i like redskins ROS

Not sure how philly plays in playoffs sched but beides that htey look real nice

Colts, Eagles, Washington and the like are heavily dependent on your belief that they believe they are actually playing for something. Great matchups can be a disaster when bad defenses are in their planning the Hawaii trips mode...and all 3 are bad defenses. It's certainly arguable that all 3 may be playing for something, albeit less so for Philadelphia.

What do you think about the Houston Texans defense for tomorrow?

What do you think about the Houston Texans defense for tomorrow?

There are several thoughtful posts on that above.

Colts, Eagles, Washington and the like are heavily dependent on your belief that they believe they are actually playing for something. Great matchups can be a disaster when bad defenses are in their planning the Hawaii trips mode...and all 3 are bad defenses. It's certainly arguable that all 3 may be playing for something, albeit less so for Philadelphia.

Your general point is well taken, but your examples are bad. Colts are in 1st place in the AFC North at 6-5. Redskins are tied for 1st in the NFC East at 5-6; Eagles are one game back at 4-7. Parity keeps bad teams relevant. Things could go south in a few weeks, but for now these teams are still playing for something.

Your general point is well taken, but your examples are bad. Colts are in 1st place in the AFC North at 6-5. Redskins are tied for 1st in the NFC East at 5-6; Eagles are one game back at 4-7. Parity keeps bad teams relevant. Things could go south in a few weeks, but for now these teams are still playing for something.
But you have to make the decision now. Tell me who's playing for what in week16?

But you have to make the decision now. Tell me who's playing for what in week16?

You are talking about a matchup 4 weeks from now. You have enough experience to know that anything can happen in that time. I reject the premise that you have to decide now. All you have to do now is make your best guess, and be open to change your mind based on new information later. All the stud defenses have been taken. If you're a dedicated streamer you are looking at mediocre defenses that may have good matchups in the playoffs. So maybe you like Washington. Are you going to pass on them right now on the chance that they have nothing to play for in 4 weeks? No. You are going to take them now, and drop them later if you change your mind. When a playoff game comes, I will definitely follow your advice and stay clear of teams that are scheduling scuba lessons in Bora Bora. But right now I'm just talking a flyer. Don't overthink it and fake yourself out.

You are talking about a matchup 4 weeks from now. You have enough experience to know that anything can happen in that time. I reject the premise that you have to decide now. All you have to do now is make your best guess, and be open to change your mind based on new information later. All the stud defenses have been taken. If you're a dedicated streamer you are looking at mediocre defenses that may have good matchups in the playoffs. So maybe you like Washington. Are you going to pass on them right now on the chance that they have nothing to play for in 4 weeks? No. You are going to take them now, and drop them later if you change your mind. When a playoff game comes, I will definitely follow your advice and stay clear of teams that are scheduling scuba lessons in Bora Bora. But right now I'm just talking a flyer. Don't overthink it and fake yourself out.
Sorry, I guess I didn't frame my point clearly enough for you.

The reason we got into this discussion was the plethora of posts opting for some combination of Washington, Indy and Philadelphia as playoff defenses because of the quality of their matchups. My precatory post that yielded your initial response was to be careful because bad defenses are a dangerous play when no incentive remains for the team come game time and that, while all are now in the hunt, that can change by playoffs time and Philadelphia in particular seems risky.

The obvious reason you have to decide by now on these defenses (actually before now in all of my leagues) is that, absent playing with league mates who are scrubs, and most of us on these threads don't, those defenses are picked over or gone by now. So, sorry you disagree but, yes, you do have to decide now whether to pick up those defenses and you can be left holding air if that's your choice come championship week.