Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robrain

2015 Team Defense/ST and Kicker Thread

Anyone out there struggling between Lion @ Home or Steelers on the road?

Lions aren't good at takeaways but do get sacks while Steelers get turnovers and sacks but that pass defense gives me the quivers.

I'm starting Steelers with confidence - backup QB in Bal and they need to win bad.

Lions had favorable matchups the past two weeks and got 4pts @ STL and 1 pt @NO (yahoo standard league)

SF is bad but they still got two TDs in garbage time vs a very dominate CIN defense - one off a turnover.

Very compelling argument for the Lions D per Jeff Brubach on Rotoworld:

Gabbert provided the Bengals D/ST with three interceptions in Week 15. Gabbert completed just 30 of 50 pass attempts along with the three turnovers, and has thrown more than one touchdown pass in only one of his six starts this season. In addition to starting Gabbert at quarterback, the 49ers will also likely be down to Travaris Cadet and Kendall Gaskins at running back. Fire up the Lions D/ST this week and don’t look back.

Damn it, I keep switching back and forth between texans and lions. Reasonable points on both. I'm so torn.

Anyone out there struggling between Lion @ Home or Steelers on the road?

Lions aren't good at takeaways but do get sacks while Steelers get turnovers and sacks but that pass defense gives me the quivers.

I'm starting Steelers with confidence - backup QB in Bal and they need to win bad.

Lions had favorable matchups the past two weeks and got 4pts @ STL and 1 pt @NO (yahoo standard league)

SF is bad but they still got two TDs in garbage time vs a very dominate CIN defense - one off a turnover.

Thanks for this post. I didn't realize that the Lions have barely done anything in their last two games, which should've been favorable matchups at this point in the season.

My other option is the Patriots, and while the Jets have been hot the Patriots have killed it for me the last two weeks. I think I'll take my chances with a team fighting for the number one seed on the road against a hot divisional opponent over an underachieving team with nothing to play for despite the seemingly good matchup.

I've been debating this decision all week but I'm comfortable with setting and forgetting about it and will have no regrets at this point. Good luck to the rest of you. Let's get these championships!

Any opinions on how Ryan Mallett starting for the Ravens will affect the Steelers defense? I try to avoid streaming mediocre defenses on the road in divisional games, but Pittsburgh is just too tempting this week in a game that could get out of hand. I was hoping to see Jimmy Clausen---is there any reason Mallett should make me feel different? I think Mallett has better arm talent, but I have to imagine his feel for the offense is tenuous at best. I think a second-half pick-six or two could be in the offing. However, I'd love to hear someone make a devil's advocate case against the Steelers and the mighty pout hammer of Mallett.

Any opinions on how Ryan Mallett starting for the Ravens will affect the Steelers defense? I try to avoid streaming mediocre defenses on the road in divisional games, but Pittsburgh is just too tempting this week in a game that could get out of hand. I was hoping to see Jimmy Clausen---is there any reason Mallett should make me feel different? I think Mallett has better arm talent, but I have to imagine his feel for the offense is tenuous at best. I think a second-half pick-six or two could be in the offing. However, I'd love to hear someone make a devil's advocate case against the Steelers and the mighty pout hammer of Mallett.

I've been back and forth between PIT and HOU, and now that we know Mallett is starting I decided to do some more research to challenge my gut instinct of rolling with the Steelers in a crucial game.

Mallett has never been sacked more than once in a game in his entire career, and he also has just one two turnover performance. Yes, I know small sample size, but still. When you look at his stats, he actually hasn't been that bad. He's got a good arm and it shows. The Ravens know that they can't run against the Steelers, so they will be letting Mallett throw against that awful secondary--especially since they could easily be in catchup mode. He's obviously done enough in practice to warrant Harbaugh's confidence, so there's something there. I was banking on the inevitable pick six from Schaub or Clausen. Not as likely with Mallett.

For anyone like me also choosing between these defenses, I do feel like Houston is the stronger play. Mettenberger gets sacked a lot, this year and last, and he fumbles basically every game he plays. Rarely throws for multiple tds and the Titans are bad without him--most fantasy points given up to opposing defenses. Watt hasn't been the same with only one hand, which is a concern because he contributed on 2.5 of the 7 sacks last time they met. Even so, they've had 3 sacks in each game since his injury and put up a solid performance against the Colts. I see 2+ turnovers and 4+ sacks in a low scoring game (Vegas has over/under at 40.5), which leaves Houston as a high floor option with a ceiling of 18 pts (their performance last time they met).

Good luck all!

I've been back and forth between PIT and HOU, and now that we know Mallett is starting I decided to do some more research to challenge my gut instinct of rolling with the Steelers in a crucial game.

Mallett has never been sacked more than once in a game in his entire career, and he also has just one two turnover performance. Yes, I know small sample size, but still. When you look at his stats, he actually hasn't been that bad. He's got a good arm and it shows. The Ravens know that they can't run against the Steelers, so they will be letting Mallett throw against that awful secondary--especially since they could easily be in catchup mode. He's obviously done enough in practice to warrant Harbaugh's confidence, so there's something there. I was banking on the inevitable pick six from Schaub or Clausen. Not as likely with Mallett.

For anyone like me also choosing between these defenses, I do feel like Houston is the stronger play. Mettenberger gets sacked a lot, this year and last, and he fumbles basically every game he plays. Rarely throws for multiple tds and the Titans are bad without him--most fantasy points given up to opposing defenses. Watt hasn't been the same with only one hand, which is a concern because he contributed on 2.5 of the 7 sacks last time they met. Even so, they've had 3 sacks in each game since his injury and put up a solid performance against the Colts. I see 2+ turnovers and 4+ sacks in a low scoring game (Vegas has over/under at 40.5), which leaves Houston as a high floor option with a ceiling of 18 pts (their performance last time they met).

Good luck all!

Thanks for the research and opinion; it sounds like Mallett is indeed an upgrade. (I agree that Houston is a much better play against a broken Tennessee squad, but that option is not available to me.) To push back a bit your points, it is indeed a small sample size of just six starts. It seems like he threw 1 INT in each of those starts, and was not often efficient with his attempts. In his four starts earlier this year for Houston, his completion % varied from 44% to 70% and his QBR ranged 41.7 to 75.6. I guess that doesn't really scare me. I'm not smart enough to figure out if Pittsburgh's pass defense is really awful, or just plain bad, since they have played with big leads in many games and therefore forced teams to throw into soft coverage.

Catanzaro, Hauschka, or Santos for championship week?

I benched Santos because the weather forecast is dicey in KC. There will be snow in the morning, and possibly windy and rainy weather during the game. You'll get a better forecast tomorrow morning, but I already pulled the plug on him.

Gostkowski vs. Boswell is ironically the choice I'm having the most difficulty with this week...

NE D @ NYJ or CIN D @ DEN?

My opponent has Denver d going Monday night too.

Novak vs Tenn or Bailey vs Buff..Bailey obviously way better kicker but rook qb no dez...worried he wont get alot of opportunities and if they fall behind early way worse...also weather can factor in..i know Houston got weeden in but he might get more fg chances with turnovers and stalled drives...in our league u get 10 points for fgs over 50 but those chances dont come often...dunno what to do..up against big ben...need every single extra point i can get..

Lions or vikings?

Same boat as you, think I'm leaning a little more towards DET

The Chiefs will be down their best two pass rushers for today and facing a very mobile QB. I really hoped Hali would be healthy for today.

Well I sat the lions. They did decent. My team is doing pretty good. I had cousins, marshall, and Reed so I got a ton of points. Hopefully the vikings and ap don't let me down.

The Chiefs will be down their best two pass rushers for today and facing a very mobile QB. I really hoped Hali would be healthy for today.

Next week against Oak is a concern if Houston is still out and Hali can't make it back.

KC D/ST owners better pray for a Bengals win tonight against Denver. If Denver locks up the division, KC won't be playing for anything next week. And Reid has a history of resting players.