Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras - C CHC

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=contre002wil

This kid has destroyed AA pitching this year, and (now with Schwarber up), the Cubs top catching prospect. Very curious to see how he does in AAA.

Hitting .342, OPS .914

Tie that in with the fact he's a very good defensive catcher - pretty excited about this kid.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=contre002wil

This kid has destroyed AA pitching this year, and (now with Schwarber up), the Cubs top catching prospect. Very curious to see how he does in AAA.

Hitting .342, OPS .914

Tie that in with the fact he's a very good defensive catcher - pretty excited about this kid.

Beat me to making the thread! Seeing a Schwarber could play several positions, I think Contreras will stay full time at catcher which will allow the Cubs to get creative. I'd imagine seeing him in the majors late next season at the rate hes hitting

#1 ranked catcher prospect in the game and only a handful of posts. Anyways, after a breakout 2015 and fantastic fall league, he's killing it again to start off the 2016 season going 11 for his first 21.

ETA on this guy? Would something have to happen to Montero for us to see him before September?

I would think that if anything happens to Montero he is the next one up...I could see a call up this year and before September...

An injury would have to happen to get him on the field this year, but with David Ross retiring once the season is over, he's almost a sure bet to be part of the catching platoon in 2017.

I could see the cubs doing something like they are now. with willson catching everyone but lester and have lester have his own catcher like he does now.

Miguel Montero has a bulging disk.

Tim Federowicz has a career .536 OPS.

David Ross is 39 and has seen his OPS decline every year since 2012.

Wilson Contreras has hit about .340 since the start of 2014

How soon until we see a changing of the guard in CHI? As you can see from my .sig, I have lousy catching, so am waiting to see who gets called up to snag off the waiver wire.

If monteros back is a long term problem, we will see Willson before June probably. I don't know how well he knows the pitching staff though so I don't know if the Cubs would be ready to just give him all of Monteros playing time.

as the above poster said, if it either of Ross or Montero are gone for an extended period of time you can expect Contreras up pretty quick.

If Montero and Ross stay healthy all year, I doubt he will get enough AB's to make any type of impact. Best case scenario is Montero's back keeps acting up and he needs surgery. After losing Schwarber, I hate to say it but I would love to see that happen.

If Montero and Ross stay healthy all year, I doubt he will get enough AB's to make any type of impact. Best case scenario is Montero's back keeps acting up and he needs surgery. After losing Schwarber, I hate to say it but I would love to see that happen.

I agree in principle, but damn look at what he's doing right now.

I mean when I open a fangraphs page for a minor leaguer and see a 14%BB% and a 10%K%, I immediately get geeked for the potential for the player... but Contreras is doing that and is a catcher... I don't even know what to feel about that. It's just bizarre almost. The ISO's low so far and he's only hit 1 HR, so who knows if the power is maturing or not, but that hit tool and plate discipline is just uncanny for the position.

I mean it's uncanny in general, but very uncanny for the position.

2/5 last night with a bomb and 2 RBI

.350/.448/.500

13/9 BB/K

Stud! Top 3 fantasy catcher in the making right here.

Two more hits tonight, now at .339 with a freaking .449 OBP, and sporting a healthy 16:12 BB/K ratio (16%/12% in 98 ABs). OPSing .940 with and slugging .490. ISO leaves something to be desired, especially considering he's in the PCL, but he does have 2 dongs in his last 10 games, and the power usually comes later for young catchers who focus more on the defensive part of their game.

What's not to love about this guy? Doesn't he have a great makeup and rocket behind the dish as well?

I'm predicting a June callup and a platoon situation with the vets handing the Cubs' more high maintenance pitchers in the early going. He's too good to keep down for much longer.

is Willson truly on the cusp of getting called? im asking for a friend. Montero is in triple A stinking up the joint on rehab assignment......but it is not like the Cubs need him lol

is Willson truly on the cusp of getting called? im asking for a friend. Montero is in triple A stinking up the joint on rehab assignment......but it is not like the Cubs need him lol

I'm not "in the know" or anything, but from the comments I've read/insight from websites, it looks like it will be later in the year (July/September) before he's called up.. They are wanting him to work on his defense more so than anything right now.

As long as both Montero and Ross are healthy, there is no way they will bring up Willson. They're not going to bring up Contreras to catch once or twice a week and ride the bench the rest of the time.

Willson hit his third HR of the year tonight and is slashing .340/.437/.500 with 16BB vs 13K. His bat and arm are MLB ready, but I haven't heard anything about whether or not the receiving skills have improved.

wow. I hadn't seen much of this guy until today. Check out this swing. That is the swing of a legit superstar.

Is he solid defensively, and does he profile as a catcher for a long time?

That swing is a thing of beauty. He's solid defensively and is steadily improving.. The Cubs seem to believe he is the catcher of the future.. Absolute gold in dynasty leagues.

The Cubs very much think he is the catcher of the future. He's a converted third baseman so he has a plus plus arm, and defends the position better than Ross or Montero do on the big league club. They believe he has a chance of being a perennial All Star on the ML level.