Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras - C CHC

In a keeper, would you guys consider Contreras a better stash than Gioliti? (Sry if too bench coach)

Does the lack of power concern anyone? Sounds like the hit tool is amazing but the power is nearly nonexistent. Is that not concerning for fantasy purposes?

Does the lack of power concern anyone? Sounds like the hit tool is amazing but the power is nearly nonexistent. Is that not concerning for fantasy purposes?

15HR pop is plenty for a catcher, not sure what you were expecting.

I guess that's the ceiling? Most he's hit in a season is 11 from what I saw. I realize that minor league power numbers don't directly translate, but i expected more given the hype in this thread. I would expect 20+ for a guy getting this much pub. 10 catchers hit 15 or more homers last year so 15 seems to be about average for the position.

I'm not knocking the guy, just wondering what his ceiling is.

In a keeper, would you guys consider Contreras a better stash than Gioliti? (Sry if too bench coach)

I don't think either are great stashes for this year. Giolitto is entirely over rated in my eyes. Willson Contreras is going to get called up to be a back up catcher with limited power as a rookie.

The few highlights I saw made such a strong impression, I'd be willing to bet substantial cash that Contreras is a 25+ homer player in his prime. It's been a long time since I've been so enamored by a hit tool. The only recent prospects that gave me a similar impression are Bogaerts, Correa, and Kyle Schwarber-- where the natural hitting ability jumps out at you, like a catastrophe would have to occur for them not to become very good major league hitters.

Hit his 4th HR of the year last night while batting .328 for the season..

Slashing an impressive.328/.423/.496 right now..through 38 games. Him and Alfaro are no doubt the best 2 catching prospects for fantasy in the minors. Contreras is also sporting a 21/20 BB/K ratio.. I really like the tools he's showing.

Interesting take from Rotoballer, which I don't neccesairly agree with.. I think the Cubs will wait and keep him down, but if they feel like they can be in better shape for a World Series title with him at catcher, they very will might promote him soon.

12. Willson Contreras (C, CHC, AAA)
Stats: 155 PA, .328/.419/.481, 3 HR, 2 SB, 11.0% K rate, 12.3% BB rate
ETA: Late June/Early July
I had to do a double take earlier when I was looking at the stats of the two Cubs catchers as I could have sworn I swapped the two. David Ross is currently slashing .246/.347/.443 with three home runs and a 16.9% strikeout rate while Miguel Montero is slashing .210/.342/.339 with only one home run and a 25.0% strikeout rate. Needless to say from an offensive perspective, Willson Contreras would represent a major improvement over either of the two catchers. Contreras has done nothing but hit in the minor leagues and seems liable to continue that trend once he reaches the big leagues. Once the Super Two deadline passes, it really could be any day that the Cubs decide to promote their top catching prospect. They want him to improve defensively, but he has shown to be much more dependable behind the dish than Kyle Schwarber was and should be ready at some point this season. He is not worth stashing because of the unpredictable timeline surrounding his promotion, but he is worth owing in 12+ team leagues once given the call to the big leagues.

Hit his 4th HR of the year last night while batting .328 for the season..

Slashing an impressive.328/.423/.496 right now..through 38 games. Him and Alfaro are no doubt the best 2 catching prospects for fantasy in the minors. Contreras is also sporting a 21/20 BB/K ratio.. I really like the tools he's showing.

Hit another one tonight, his 5th.

The few highlights I saw made such a strong impression, I'd be willing to bet substantial cash that Contreras is a 25+ homer player in his prime. It's been a long time since I've been so enamored by a hit tool. The only recent prospects that gave me a similar impression are Bogaerts, Correa, and Kyle Schwarber-- where the natural hitting ability jumps out at you, like a catastrophe would have to occur for them not to become very good major league hitters.

He has a good hit tool but I've read a few articles about him and those articles said he has 12-15 homer pop. Combine that with his good hit tool and he is a valuable catcher but based on what I've read I doubt he has that much power.

I guess that's the ceiling? Most he's hit in a season is 11 from what I saw. I realize that minor league power numbers don't directly translate, but i expected more given the hype in this thread. I would expect 20+ for a guy getting this much pub. 10 catchers hit 15 or more homers last year so 15 seems to be about average for the position.

I agree.... There has been a lot of hype around him and I'm not sure what to make of it. Most articles I have read have him as a .280 ish hitter with 12-15 homers. That's definitely valuable at a shallow position but nothing to go crazy over.

This fangraphs article earlier this year has him at #9 in the Cubs system (which I think is low) but here are his grades:

Hit: 45/50/60 Power: 35/40/50 Run: 40/40/45 Field: 45/50/50 Throw: 45/50/60 Overall: 40+/50/55.

Prospect 361 has him at #5 - Fantasy Impact: Contreras is a Top 250 prospect and should be on Dynasty League owners radar in two catcher leagues. The ceiling is an everyday catcher with 12 to 15 home run power and a .260 to .270 batting average (average is probably a bit low).

Roto Baller - Willson Contreras (C, AA)

Stats: 521 PA, .333/.413/.478, 8 HR, 4 SB, 10.9% BB rate, 11.9% K rate

ETA: 2017

Contreras may not possess near the same kind of power that Schwarber has (few catching prospects do), but he should be able to hit around .280 with 10 home runs per season which is enough to make him a valuable fantasy asset. Contreras will likely start off the year in Triple-A with a chance to get his feet wet in the majors should something happen to Miguel Montero, but he should be considered a must-own in all dynasty leagues with a chance to be a franchise catcher.

Fake Teams has him at #5 in the system - Contreras may peak as a .270 to .280 hitter with 12 to 15 home runs, but that is quite good for a catcher - particularly one that profiles as a potential stud defensively.

There may be some articles that are higher on him but these are a few that I came across. I'm not knocking the guy, I think he will be valuable at a shallow position hitting in that Cubs lineup. power is the last tool to develop so maybe he will hit more homers than these projections say.

I agree.... There has been a lot of hype around him and I'm not sure what to make of it. Most articles I have read have him as a .280 ish hitter with 12-15 homers. That's definitely valuable at a shallow position but nothing to go crazy over.

This fangraphs article earlier this year has him at #9 in the Cubs system (which I think is low) but here are his grades:

Hit: 45/50/60 Power: 35/40/50 Run: 40/40/45 Field: 45/50/50 Throw: 45/50/60 Overall: 40+/50/55.

Prospect 361 has him at #5 - Fantasy Impact: Contreras is a Top 250 prospect and should be on Dynasty League owners radar in two catcher leagues. The ceiling is an everyday catcher with 12 to 15 home run power and a .260 to .270 batting average (average is probably a bit low).

Roto Baller - Willson Contreras (C, AA)

Stats: 521 PA, .333/.413/.478, 8 HR, 4 SB, 10.9% BB rate, 11.9% K rate

ETA: 2017

Contreras may not possess near the same kind of power that Schwarber has (few catching prospects do), but he should be able to hit around .280 with 10 home runs per season which is enough to make him a valuable fantasy asset. Contreras will likely start off the year in Triple-A with a chance to get his feet wet in the majors should something happen to Miguel Montero, but he should be considered a must-own in all dynasty leagues with a chance to be a franchise catcher.

Fake Teams has him at #5 in the system - Contreras may peak as a .270 to .280 hitter with 12 to 15 home runs, but that is quite good for a catcher - particularly one that profiles as a potential stud defensively.

There may be some articles that are higher on him but these are a few that I came across. I'm not knocking the guy, I think he will be valuable at a shallow position hitting in that Cubs lineup. power is the last tool to develop so maybe he will hit more homers than these projections say.

A lot of the articles that are written about him were written last year at the end of the season where some people questioned if his season was legit..

Right now he's already hit 5HR and if you put his current pace over a 130-140 game season, that's about 17HR.. While I don't think he will be a perennial 20+ HR masher, I think he will hit more than 12-15HR just about every year.. His hit tool makes the power play up, IMO.

He also had 1 season of 11 bombs in 86 games, so the power is in there.. but he may just be focusing on making contact instead of selling out for power..

From the few games I've watched him I think he will be a .290-.300 hitter, 15-20HR, a few SB, and a ton of RBI from being in that cubs lineup.

Dude has been on fire lately, hit his 6th bomb tonight. Power starting to show, this guy could be a fantasy monster at catcher if he can keep developing the power more.

Not counting on him for significant power. Don't see unusual upside anywhere. Really don't care when he gets called up because there's no way he saves anybody's season. But absolutely holding the best hitting catcher in MiLB. 280/65/10/75 at C, year after year, is Pure Gold.

I think the power is significantly under rated.. He just blasted his 7th of the year.. and is 3/4 today.

Best hitting catcher prospect since posey? Just wondering cause none come to mind.

Best hitting catcher prospect since posey? Just wondering cause none come to mind.

Jesus Montero, Devin Mesoraco, Wilin Rosario, Gary Sanchez, Travis d'arnaud, Mike Zunino were all at one point top 50 prospects like him. But he is definitely a league below some of those prospects.

Catching prospects is the one position I always try to sell high on because they bust so often and often take a few years to get going and become fantasy relevant (ie late bloomers).

By the way, he hit a second HR today as well, #8 on the year.

Is this guy a better stash than Jesse Winker at this point? Both expected to reach the majors this year according to MLB prospect ETA's.

Jesus Montero, Devin Mesoraco, Wilin Rosario, Gary Sanchez, Travis d'arnaud, Mike Zunino were all at one point top 50 prospects like him. But he is definitely a league below some of those prospects.

Catching prospects is the one position I always try to sell high on because they bust so often and often take a few years to get going and become fantasy relevant (ie late bloomers).

Jesus Montero is the only one I'd argue was a tier above as a pure hitting catching prospect coming it for what he did as a 19 year old in AA..

However all those other guys you listed wouldn't say he's below those guys, he's in the same tier. IMO A lot those guys where propped up because of pedigree. I think your punishing Contreras because he was literally a late pop up guy himself and no one knew who he was before last year. He had a .413 wOBA in AA as a 23 year old and .411 wOBA this year in AAA as a 24 year old.

While his ISO isn't as high as most of those guys... His K, and BB numbers are better than most those guy ever were.

Hit tool is the most important tool and allows hitters to over-achieve raw power projections by sheer ability to make better more consistent. contact. Sure, he could bust.but most those guys you listed had higher K rates in the minors that Conteras does now and production was made thru above average raw power than truly great contact ability.

Oh I was just mentioning other prospects similar to him. Not a knock on him at all. If anything some catching prospects are due to come through.

I was reminded of this when I was listening to the radio earlier this year, but before the season, Theo was interviewed on Sirius XM Fanatsy. The last question, he was asked about a player who fantasy players didn't know, but who might make some noise this year. He named Contreras. This was obviously before Schwarber got hurt.

I don't know how they make it work, unless they want to continue carrying 3 catchers, because Montero and Ross aren't going anywhere without an injury.

I was reminded of this when I was listening to the radio earlier this year, but before the season, Theo was interviewed on Sirius XM Fanatsy. The last question, he was asked about a player who fantasy players didn't know, but who might make some noise this year. He named Contreras. This was obviously before Schwarber got hurt.

I don't know how they make it work, unless they want to continue carrying 3 catchers, because Montero and Ross aren't going anywhere without an injury.

Because Catcher attrition rate is horrible. Let alone for 2 catchers on the wrong side of 30? Maybe in most cases counting on injury is foolish..but for a soon to be 33 year old and grandpa sage level old catcher. Its probably not that far fetched..

Any chance Contreras gets called up? The catcher market is real thin. Is he worth the stash in redrafts?

Who could ever forget the epic hype for Matt Wieters?