Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras - C CHC

Any chance Contreras gets called up? The catcher market is real thin. Is he worth the stash in redrafts?

Maddon has hinted that he will be called up sometime in the second half. There is a chance he doesn't but I would say he he has a 60%-70% chance of being up sometime this year. As for stashing him, it depends on who your catcher is and how many bench spots you have. If you have the space it may be worth a look but you may hold him for a couple of months.

I honestly don't expect him up until roster expansion. They're going to need him very near opening day 2017, so I doubt they start his clock early this year.

Best hitting catcher prospect since posey? Just wondering cause none come to mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could go as recent as Schwarber.

Best hitting catcher prospect since posey? Just wondering cause none come to mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could go as recent as Schwarber.

I guess but I think most assumed that Schwarber wasn't a catcher long term.

I honestly don't expect him up until roster expansion. They're going to need him very near opening day 2017, so I doubt they start his clock early this year.

The Cubs are all in this year. So this year they need all hands on deck; not waiting for next year. Also if Contreras is up earlier than later he can benefit by being taken under David Ross' wings as well.

But the main thing is that Joe Madden hinted he could be up mid-season sometime.

Any chance Contreras gets called up? The catcher market is real thin. Is he worth the stash in redrafts?

Maddon has hinted that he will be called up sometime in the second half. There is a chance he doesn't but I would say he he has a 60%-70% chance of being up sometime this year. As for stashing him, it depends on who your catcher is and how many bench spots you have. If you have the space it may be worth a look but you may hold him for a couple of months.

It is highly likely that Willson will NOT be fantasy relevant at all this year for redraft. When the guy finally does get called up he still won't catch half the games outside of an injury.

I like the guy for the future and he could be a solid sleeper in 2017 depending on what type of time share he can get. But don't get too carried away for 2016.

I think the power is significantly under rated.. He just blasted his 7th of the year.. and is 3/4 today.

I feel like you have to temper expectations for anyone playing in the PCL a little bit. It is a bit of a hitters league so stats are inflated some. I do know Contreras has talent and he will be a Valuable fantasy catcher in a great lineup. I'm just not sure his power projections have changed much since he has 8 homers 1/3 of the way through a PCL season. I'm not trying to bust balls here or nit pick here but its something to take into consideration. Contreras was picked up and then dropped in my dynasty league. I'm thinking about scooping him up but I'm pumping the brakes a little. I hope I'm wrong.

As long as Miguel Montero is there he's going to be hard pressed to have fantasy value if he can't play another position which we can already say he won't. Maddon loves a veteran backstop, Lester loves a personal catcher, can't really envision a scenario with Montero in picture where he has any sort of fantasy value.

Why is he getting an unusually high amount of adds today in yahoo?

Because people read the Rotoworld blurbs that are attached to each player. Really hated the day they started doing that :lol:

I think the power is significantly under rated.. He just blasted his 7th of the year.. and is 3/4 today.

I feel like you have to temper expectations for anyone playing in the PCL a little bit. It is a bit of a hitters league so stats are inflated some. I do know Contreras has talent and he will be a Valuable fantasy catcher in a great lineup. I'm just not sure his power projections have changed much since he has 8 homers 1/3 of the way through a PCL season. I'm not trying to bust balls here or nit pick here but its something to take into consideration. Contreras was picked up and then dropped in my dynasty league. I'm thinking about scooping him up but I'm pumping the brakes a little. I hope I'm wrong.

I've always said his power was under-rated and it's not just a benefactor of the PCL league.. BTW, 6 out of 8 of his bombs this year have been hit in Iowa. Iowa isn't really known for being a hitters park, that I know of.

He hit 11HR in 86 games in the Midwest league.. Just my opinion, of course, but to say he's a 10-12HR per year type of guy is significantly under rating his power.. Is he gonna be a 30HR a year type of guy? No probably not, but I could see him approaching 20 more years than not.

Where does he rank ROS if he's called up...is he a better option than Ramos or Gattis? Top 5?

Because people read the Rotoworld blurbs that are attached to each player. Really hated the day they started doing that :lol:

Wrong board my bad

Where does he rank ROS if he's called up...is he a better option than Ramos or Gattis? Top 5?

Montero and Ross have been solid for the Cubs this year, so I doubt he'd see enough playing time to be a great option in redrafts unless injuries pop up. Next year is when you'll start getting some value from him imo.

Probably not unless Montero is hurt.

Ross = guaranteed starting everytime Lester hurls. Then the next 4 would likely be split between Mig and Contrereas. This is a really good team right now. And really good teams don't usually just make moves to make moves. Montero is a respected veteran doing a solid job. Contreras only path to mixed league value this year is trade or injury to Miggy.

Ross = guaranteed starting everytime Lester hurls. Then the next 4 would likely be split between Mig and Contrereas. This is a really good team right now. And really good teams don't usually just make moves to make moves. Montero is a respected veteran doing a solid job. Contreras only path to mixed league value this year is trade or injury to Miggy.

a solid job on defense, but that .706 OPS is pretty gross. Cubs should just go for it, and have a dangerous hitter 1-8. Would make their lineup terrifying. And all reports I've heard is that Contreras is very strong defensively.

Indeed. Rotoworld keeps "letting the cat out of the bag" early talking about potential call ups and all the prospect hounds race to make the add to beat their rivals to that player. It happened like 5 weeks ago with Trea Turner, it happened recently with Tyler Glasnow and now with Contreras. In each of these cases Rotoworld made it seem like call ups were imminent. It's why Glasnow's and Turner's ownership levels in Yahoo were both > 30% even before the news on Turner broke this evening.

a solid job on defense, but that .706 OPS is pretty gross. Cubs should just go for it, and have a dangerous hitter 1-8. Would make their lineup terrifying. And all reports I've heard is that Contreras is very strong defensively.

In the conventional sense yeah, he has a strong arm and his pop times aren't bad. The problem is his receiving skills. Montero and Ross are both among the league's best in pitch farming, while Contreras' skill in that department is still lacking.

.706 OPS is gross? Relative to other catchers right now, it could be a lot worse. Relative to the rest of the Cubs lineup, it doesn't look good.

.706 OPS is gross? Relative to other catchers right now, it could be a lot worse. Relative to the rest of the Cubs lineup, it doesn't look good.

good point. I've actually been rolling without a catcher the last few weeks, because if you don't have Posey or Lucroy it seems like they hurt more than help. Coincidentally my team has gone on a winning streak since I adopted that strategy.

It would have been more effective to cite Montero's .346 slugging or .210 batting average. His OBP is actually pretty good, and makes the OPS palatable.

good point. I've actually been rolling without a catcher the last few weeks, because if you don't have Posey or Lucroy it seems like they hurt more than help. Coincidentally my team has gone on a winning streak since I adopted that strategy.

It would have been more effective to cite Montero's .346 slugging or .210 batting average. His OBP is actually pretty good, and makes the OPS palatable.

Wilson Ramos says hi.

In other news, Wilson is turning into a great first name for catchers these days.

People probably prefer to stash a prospect C rather than roll out a miserable C, the catchers are way too thin this season

Indeed. Rotoworld keeps "letting the cat out of the bag" early talking about potential call ups and all the prospect hounds race to make the add to beat their rivals to that player. It happened like 5 weeks ago with Trea Turner, it happened recently with Tyler Glasnow and now with Contreras. In each of these cases Rotoworld made it seem like call ups were imminent. It's why Glasnow's and Turner's ownership levels in Yahoo were both > 30% even before the news on Turner broke this evening.

Yeah I have noticed that. The adds rocket once rotoworld mentions Callup. But If rotoworld mentioned a Callup for Contreras, then they are just misleading. Montero and Ross have the Cubs pitchers dominating. I would never change a catcher situation when all 5 starters are doing great. I absolutely love Contreras' hit tool. I see it currently at about 60-65 grade. But I have no doubt that you could give him a 70 Future grade. He's One of those hitters that will easily keep up a high avg. His plate discipline is off the charts. I catch every Iowa game I can on milb.tv and he sees everything. He's gonna end up with more walks then strikeouts most years. Right now the only other prospect I believe with better plate discipline is Andrew Benintendi, and Trent Clark. Those 2 are freaks when it comes to PD. But Contreras is right behind them. I'm so proud of Willson. I just remember when he played 3rd Base and you could just see his hit tool developing with every pitch thrown.