Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras - C CHC

.706 OPS is gross? Relative to other catchers right now, it could be a lot worse. Relative to the rest of the Cubs lineup, it doesn't look good.

good point. I've actually been rolling without a catcher the last few weeks, because if you don't have Posey or Lucroy it seems like they hurt more than help. Coincidentally my team has gone on a winning streak since I adopted that strategy.

It would have been more effective to cite Montero's .346 slugging or .210 batting average. His OBP is actually pretty good, and makes the OPS palatable.

Wilson Ramos says hi.

In other news, Wilson is turning into a great first name for catchers these days.

It's Willson with two L's ...

.706 OPS is gross? Relative to other catchers right now, it could be a lot worse. Relative to the rest of the Cubs lineup, it doesn't look good.

good point. I've actually been rolling without a catcher the last few weeks, because if you don't have Posey or Lucroy it seems like they hurt more than help. Coincidentally my team has gone on a winning streak since I adopted that strategy.

It would have been more effective to cite Montero's .346 slugging or .210 batting average. His OBP is actually pretty good, and makes the OPS palatable.

Wilson Ramos says hi.

In other news, Wilson is turning into a great first name for catchers these days.

So does Wellington Castillo. And Salvy Perez. And Matt Wieters. And JT Realmuto. Heck, Evan Gattis now. :)

Why is he getting an unusually high amount of adds today in yahoo?

Because people read the Rotoworld blurbs that are attached to each player. Really hated the day they started doing that :lol:

People probably prefer to stash a prospect C rather than roll out a miserable C, the catchers are way too thin this season

Man, no kidding. You should play in a 2-catcher league. Ugh!

So does Wellington Castillo. And Salvy Perez. And Matt Wieters. And JT Realmuto. Heck, Evan Gattis now. :)

Umm. No thanks. There are exactly 3 Cs ranked in the top 300. None of those guys are worth rostering other than Gattis.

Yeah I have noticed that. The adds rocket once rotoworld mentions Callup. But If rotoworld mentioned a Callup for Contreras, then they are just misleading.

Yeah, on Trea Turner they indicated "Turner is knocking on the door with Danny Espinosa off to a slow start in Washington. There could be some movement here soon" back on April 13th. His ownership skyrocketed, but he wasn't called up until June 3rd.

On Tyler Glasnow they indicated "Glasnow doesn't have much left to prove in the minor leagues and could be promoted to Pittsburgh at any time" back on May 8th. His ownership skyrocketed and he still hasn't been called up, with most pundits agreeing he won't even be the first SP prospect called up (with Taillon likely to be the one coming up first as Glasnow continues to work on his control issues).

On Contreras they indicated "it's going to be hard for the Cubs to keep Contreras in the minor leagues if he continues to hit like this" a few days ago and the ownership levels spiked. But as you indicated, Montero is the primary catcher with Jon Lester preferring his personal catcher David Ross. Barring a trade/injury, there simply isn't an everyday role for Contreras right now, nor is there an immediate need to bring him up with the Cubs continuing to dominate (15 losses going into today's games, no other team in the majors has fewer than 22).

Umm. No thanks. There are exactly 3 Cs ranked in the top 300. None of those guys are worth rostering other than Gattis.

Say what? Castillo is hitting .270-17-7-21-2. Perez is hitting .282-19-7-25. Wieters is hitting .281-12-4-22. JT Realmuto is hitting .300, though lacking counting stats outside of 3 SB. On what planet are those guys not "worth rostering"? How are they hurting anyone's team and why is an empty "C" slot better than what they're doing? Are you in a 3-team league or something?

And what scoring system has 3 Cs ranked in the top 300...out of curiosity? I'm looking at Yahoo 5x5 rankings, and there are six in the top 300 players (including Castillo and Perez) and two just outside the top 300 (including Realmuto at 308).

Say what? Castillo is hitting .270-17-7-21-2. Perez is hitting .282-19-7-25. Wieters is hitting .281-12-4-22. JT Realmuto is hitting .300, though lacking counting stats outside of 3 SB. On what planet are those guys not "worth rostering"? How are they hurting anyone's team and why is an empty "C" slot better than what they're doing? Are you in a 3-team league or something?

And what scoring system has 3 Cs ranked in the top 300...out of curiosity? I'm looking at Yahoo 5x5 rankings, and there are six in the top 300 players (including Castillo and Perez) and two just outside the top 300 (including Realmuto at 308).

Yeah it has to be a league with very very few teams.. makes absolutely 0 sense to play without a catcher.. that can only hurt you in the long run.. Even though they may not produce a ton of counting stats, all it takes is 1 HR or R to swing an entire category..

Could be a fantasy baseball rookie (not a diss), but I've been playing for 12+ years and have never seen/heard of that strategy.

Yeah it has to be a league with very very few teams.. makes absolutely 0 sense to play without a catcher.. that can only hurt you in the long run.. Even though they may not produce a ton of counting stats, all it takes is 1 HR or R to swing an entire category..

Could be a fantasy baseball rookie (not a diss), but I've been playing for 12+ years and have never seen/heard of that strategy.

I play in an OBP league and don't bother rostering a catcher. Its not worth it due to the infrequent playing time and hit to OBP. It's a h2h daily league, not carrying a catcher leaves me freedom to carry a utility bat, streaming starter or a prospect.

I play in an OBP league and don't bother rostering a catcher. Its not worth it due to the infrequent playing time and hit to OBP. It's a h2h daily league, not carrying a catcher leaves me freedom to carry a utility bat, streaming starter or a prospect.

This. Been going without a catcher in numerous leagues all year. Doing just fine in all of em. Setting vary, but most catchers just drag you down.

It would be the opposite. The deeper the league, the more it actually would not hurt..

Unconventional..but i've seen it before. If you work with a shallow bench format. It actually makes a ton of sense, especially for those who like the maximize platoon advantages to get the extra out of OF/1B over that 1 C roster slot.

Also, points formats can have negatives for poor performance. So punting C unless its one the few good ones is common..

It would be the opposite. The deeper the league, the more it actually would not hurt..

Unconventional..but i've seen it before. If you work with a shallow bench format. It actually makes a ton of sense, especially for those who like the maximize platoon advantages to get the extra out of OF/1B over that 1 C roster slot.

Also, points formats can have negatives for poor performance. So punting C unless its one the few good ones is common..

I get that if it's a deep, deep league and you miss on the top 8-10 catchers, then leaving that slot open may be a benefit. However, he's saying guys like Castillo and Perez are not worth rostering. I don't see the logic in that at all. Maybe OBP, because I'm not sure if their .315 and .317 OBPs hurt.

But we're getting off-topic here. Catcher strategies apparently vary, but this is a thread about Willson Contreras. My apologies for my part in derailing it.

Saw Willson play in Reno a few weeks back, Iowa just crushed us that night, 16-2 I think, so many guys had a day.

Willson really stood out imo, has a big league body but moves very fluid, very athletic! He just hammered a few balls, but worked into hitters counts and took great swings. Alacantera had a great day as well, reminded me of prime Jose Reyes... Cat quick, but swings hard for a wirey build.

For dynasty, Willson majorly passed the eye test, was smooth behind the dish, played hard and didn't seem like a hothead. I could see top 5 annual catcher production, this kid can hit! Get him stashed if possible.

Is he getting the call this year?

sounds like the cubs value montero's pitch framing and ability to call a game. the staff all are under a 3.0 ERA so they apparently attribute some of that success to montero. all that being said, it sounds like barring injury contreras is blocked.

Is he getting the call this year?

sounds like the cubs value montero's pitch framing and ability to call a game. the staff all are under a 3.0 ERA so they apparently attribute some of that success to montero. all that being said, it sounds like barring injury contreras is blocked.

Plus Ross isn't going anywhere because of Lester... so there has to be an injury in order for him to get that call.

Pulled from tonight's game. Could be an injury.

Contreras injured. Still waiting for results. The good news is that Willson said he got the exact same injury last year during all star game but was fine a day or two later. Hopefully it's nothing serious, like an achilles, that is a career threatening injury for someone developing to be a catcher.

Think he could be called up after they found out something about soler?

The Cubs are not going to roster 4 catchers

Very hard to bring up a rookie catcher to handle a pitching staff on a playoff team in the middle of the season

True, but the decision is a bit easier when said catcher is OPSing over 1... 1.4 with a .540 average in his last 10 games.  

Contreras is insane. Ross will have a new platoon mate very soon.