Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IlliniGuy76

Willson Contreras - C CHC

Is he a top 15 prospect right now? His current 1.032 OPS at AAA, well above any season Swihart ever put together, is on par with Schwarber did in AAA(Small sample size), and doesn't come with near as many questions about his ability to stick at catcher.

8 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Is he a top 15 prospect right now? His current 1.032 OPS at AAA, well above any season Swihart ever put together, is on par with Schwarber did in AAA(Small sample size), and doesn't come with near as many questions about his ability to stick at catcher.

I have him and Bregman as 1/1a right now as far as batters

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

I have him and Bregman as 1/1a right now as far as batters

I wouldn't quite go that far as there are some extremely good bats in the minors.. (Moncada, Robles, Benintendi, Frazier, etc.) but on the most recent top 100 that I've put together I have him at #14. This is one guy that I'm pretty convinced he's going to succeed in the bigs because of his approach and hitting ability.. Big time prospect. 

1 hour ago, JenksDodger said:

I wouldn't quite go that far as there are some extremely good bats in the minors.. (Moncada, Robles, Benintendi, Frazier, etc.) but on the most recent top 100 that I've put together I have him at #14. This is one guy that I'm pretty convinced he's going to succeed in the bigs because of his approach and hitting ability.. Big time prospect. 

yeah I guess I was thinking more in terms of redraft impact because I don't play in any keeper leagues.

2 hours ago, pbjfb said:

yeah I guess I was thinking more in terms of redraft impact because I don't play in any keeper leagues.

In that case. then out of the guys in the minors he's definitely a top option. 

Here's something fun to look at,

Kris Bryant AAA- .298/.412/.625/1.037
Schwarber AAA- .333/.403/.633/1.036
Contreras AAA- .353/.444/.595/1.039

17 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

Here's something fun to look at,

Kris Bryant AAA- .298/.412/.625/1.037
Schwarber AAA- .333/.403/.633/1.036
Contreras AAA- .353/.444/.595/1.039

Fun yes and ironic how close the OPSes are.  But let's not get carried away.  Bryant is the same age as Contreras and Schwarber is a year younger.  Both have had success at the major league level already.  Contreras is having a nice AAA breakout.  Also Bryant and Schwarber did it out of college so they had far less years of professional coaching than Contreras who has been in the minors since 2009.

fangraphs has him listed at 175 lbs, but milb has him at 210 lbs. usually fangraphs is behind, so did he gain 35 lbs in a year and his iso shot up 100 pts? 

4 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Fun yes and ironic how close the OPSes are.  But let's not get carried away.  Bryant is the same age as Contreras and Schwarber is a year younger.  Both have had success at the major league level already.  Contreras is having a nice AAA breakout.  Also Bryant and Schwarber did it out of college so they had far less years of professional coaching than Contreras who has been in the minors since 2009.

Sure..and no one here for a second thinks the dude has Bryant or Schwarber's power. 

Interestingly his K% is a lot lower than either of them.. Can't help but like that for his long term outlook. Even if he doesn't have 30 HR power.

Buster Posey is probably the best case scenario.  Man, I'll take that all day long.  

If the power doesn't emerge, I could see him more like a Jason Kendall type, which looking at his career would be very very good.

Good comp, but the power certainly appears to be emerging -- he's got 9 home runs in less than 200 AB's, and some of them were crushed.    

It'll be nice to see what this kid can do against major league pitching.  Playing time will likely be scarce with 3 catchers on the team.

This smells like disappointment.  I can see his thread now "Maddon is an idiot why call him up to sit!"  Ross will catch Lester every time.  Montero is a respected veteran with a good rapport with many veteran starters on that staff.  So what is the best case, 2-3 starts a week?

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

This smells like disappointment.  I can see his thread now "Maddon is an idiot why call him up to sit!"  Ross will catch Lester every time.  Montero is a respected veteran with a good rapport with many veteran starters on that staff.  So what is the best case, 2-3 starts a week?

this. 110%.

7 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

The Cubs have the luxury of breaking any new position players into the majors slowly and steadily.  Don't think they won't lean on that luxury.  Let Contreras get acclimated to the ways of the majors, the team, the clubhouse, and Joe Maddon.  No reason he needs to play every day anyway.  Give him favorable matchups while on the days he sits the bench he gets to work with the bullpen and see MLB caliber stuff on a daily basis regardless of hitting against it.

I've been saying it for weeks and I'll say it again outside of an injury to Montero, Willson Contreras will offer extremely limited fantasy output this year.  Even if Ross got hurt Contreras would still be at best in a 50/50 time share.

Montero essentially cost The Cubs the game yesterday... Bonhead passed pall (initially scored a WP though some how) and bone head base running trying to tag on a ball not nearly deep enough.  Maybe the call up will get Montero's head out of his a**.

Rosenthal already posted a follow up that the plan is for Contreras to play behind Montero and Ross initially, so who knows what kind of 2016 impact he'll have. If your catcher is a liability, it would seem worth picking him up either way, but if you're getting at least decent production it's a tough call.

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!! WHOOOHOOOOOO!