Gregory Polanco

Austin Meadows - OF PIT

1 hour ago, hypeiz4real said:

his 2016 AA line is pretty worn at this point which was one of the main reasons I was so high on him heading into 2017. 

Even in an injury riddled 2017 he still doubled at a decent clip, walk and K rates ok.  I think a Yelich comp is still reasonable given their lines at the same level when Meadows was a year younger (21 vs 22).  I think he'll be one of those guys where spring training will tell a lot.  I haven't seen a lot of articles about him. 

Also worth noting, I haven't been able to move him for half of what I paid for him pre-2017.  Shows how much his stock has taken a hit.  Value too low to trade with his potential; I imagine a lot of Meadows owners are in the same boat. 

Have always went the Yelich comp. It's kind of a generic comp for me for a guy that probably won't hit for a ton of power, decent batting average, moderate speed, etc. A guy who is almost 20/20 with a .280 BA to boot. Similar to how I viewed Markakis. 

I wouldn't mind buying Meadows on the cheap in certain settings, but he's not a guy I'd own in a dynasty just because of the cost it would take to get him. Anyone owning him now is best suited to hold and wait and see if they can't get a buy on name value/prospect ranking.

Question though do you buy him at this point if given the chance if you are buying at that low value?

If someone is willing to sell at a low price, I'd take a flier.  There's been other guys that fall out of favor and back in relatively quickly, Dahl comes to mind off the top of my head and he's a full year older than Meadows. 

As a Meadows owner, I wouldn't sell for 40 cents on the dollar, and that's the market right now unfortunately.  I still like Meadows a lot more than a ton of other "top prospects".

I have so much prospect fatigue with Meadows - I've been trying to trade him for over a year and was finally able to get the 2nd overall pick in our upcoming prospect draft for him, which was finally something that didn't feel like selling low.

I have so much prospect fatigue with Meadows - I've been trying to trade him for over a year and was finally able to get the 2nd overall pick in our upcoming prospect draft for him, which was finally something that didn't feel like selling low.

Yep, same here.  Can't get a bite for a reasonable return.  Drives home my point that Meadows owners more often than not won't sell at much of a discount.

I think if you're in a deep league he's a old or buy low.  In medium leagues. I dunno, do you really want to hold onto someone who's upside is Yelich?  Chances are someone better might be on the wire.

23 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

Have always went the Yelich comp. It's kind of a generic comp for me for a guy that probably won't hit for a ton of power, decent batting average, moderate speed, etc. A guy who is almost 20/20 with a .280 BA to boot. Similar to how I viewed Markakis. 

I wouldn't mind buying Meadows on the cheap in certain settings, but he's not a guy I'd own in a dynasty just because of the cost it would take to get him. Anyone owning him now is best suited to hold and wait and see if they can't get a buy on name value/prospect ranking.

Meadows is a muscular mo-fo, along with the 18+ stolen base potential.  His swing/approach is definitely geared more for batting average than homerun power... but I can envision a near-prime season of something like: .288-92-16-85-20   

That seem reasonable?  it's not elite, but it's pretty dang solid in every category... a little light on power.  

there's also the possibility that something clicks, and he becomes a 23ish homerun kind of guy, but to me that's a low percentile scenario. 

He's not someone I'm reaching for in dynasty drafts, but not someone I'm selling either. If he gets back on track, this will have been a great time to buy low. If he completely flames out, the skeptics can say I told ya so. I really hope he has more power/speed production than Markakis, who was mentioned above. He's notably more physical and explosive than Markakis. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Meadows is a muscular mo-fo, along with the 18+ stolen base potential.  His swing/approach is definitely geared more for batting average than homerun power... but I can envision a near-prime season of something like: .288-92-16-85-20   

That seem reasonable?  it's not elite, but it's pretty dang solid in every category... a little light on power.  

there's also the possibility that something clicks, and he becomes a 23ish homerun kind of guy, but to me that's a low percentile scenario. 

He's not someone I'm reaching for in dynasty drafts, but not someone I'm selling either. If he gets back on track, this will have been a great time to buy low. If he completely flames out, the skeptics can say I told ya so. I really hope he has more power/speed production than Markakis, who was mentioned above. He's notably more physical and explosive than Markakis. 

I wasn't saying he's going to be Markakis. I was saying Markakis was my standard for "really solid outfielder but nothing that screams fantasy stud but who you still want on your team" kind of comp, like Yelich is now for me. I would expect Meadows to have a much higher ceiling, but I think we'd be pleased if meadows became 20/20 with a really solid BA. Yeah, Markakis never really was a "stud" many thought he would be after being a 20 homer/.300 BA his first few years. He just stayed relatively average. 

A guy like Markakis/Yelich is kind of my mendoza line for outfielders. Any worse, and you're cuttable at any time. But Markakis was (over his first 4 years) a .300 hitter with 20 home runs, stolen bases varied. Pretty much the best he ever was. 

Just saying, I see Meadows being more solid than stud, so he's not a guy I break the bank for. 

• Like 2

Markakis is pretty underrated. He had a 7.4 win season in 2008 and he's going to be an every day starter in 2018. At least half the outfielders ranked in the top 100 prospects probably won't have as good a career as Markakis. When you don't have a standout power or speed tool, it's hard to turn into a fantasy superstar. Not impossible but hard. Add in injury concern and it's hard for me to super optimistic about Meadows, that being said I wouldn't give up on him.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

On 1/12/2018 at 1:41 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Markakis is pretty underrated. He had a 7.4 win season in 2008 and he's going to be an every day starter in 2018. At least half the outfielders ranked in the top 100 prospects probably won't have as good a career as Markakis. When you don't have a standout power or speed tool, it's hard to turn into a fantasy superstar. Not impossible but hard. Add in injury concern and it's hard for me to super optimistic about Meadows, that being said I wouldn't give up on him.

Markakis may end up joining Pete Rose as a guy with over 3,000 hits and not in The Hall.  Palmero is one of the other 3,000 hit guys that probably doesn't get in.  ARod too.

Seriously though project Markakis numbers modestly.  Through his age 33 season he has 2052 hits.  So he needs 948 more hits to 3,000.  If Markakis (who has demonstrated excellent durability) can play until he's 39 that would mean over those 6 seasons he would have to average 158 hits a season.  Over his last 3 seasons he's averaged 168.33 hits.  Per season on his career he's at 171 hits a season.   If Markakis plays until he's 40 he'll need 135 hits a season.  So it's certainly within reason but on a long road ahead.  I'll be rooting for him to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Markakis may end up joining Pete Rose as a guy with over 3,000 hits and not in The Hall.  Palmero is one of the other 3,000 hit guys that probably doesn't get in.  ARod too.

Seriously though project Markakis numbers modestly.  Through his age 33 season he has 2052 hits.  So he needs 948 more hits to 3,000.  If Markakis (who has demonstrated excellent durability) can play until he's 39 that would mean over those 6 seasons he would have to average 158 hits a season.  Over his last 3 seasons he's averaged 168.33 hits.  Per season on his career he's at 171 hits a season.   If Markakis plays until he's 40 he'll need 135 hits a season.  So it's certainly within reason but on a long road ahead.  I'll be rooting for him to do it. 

Pretty crazy how underrated a career he's had. 

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Pretty crazy how underrated a career he's had. 

He's just been so damn durable and so damn consistent.  6 of his 12 seasons he's broken 700 PAs.  10 of his 12 seasons have been 678+ PAs.  Averaged 678 PAs per season over his career.  

Compare that to other hall of famers PA/season.

Pete Rose 661

Cal Ripken 613

Robinsono Cano 653

The only player I could find with a higher PA per season than Markakis was Ron Santo at 723.

Edited by FouLLine

I like his talent but this guy is so injury prone.

He makes Gregory Polanco look like a model for good health.