Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneNastyNupe

Dynasty Team (re)building question and advice needed WHIR

Lets just cut to the chase....I had a HORRIBLE season last year in the 1st season of a dynasty start-up I played in. Due to a family emergency that came up last minute, I wasn't able to attend the inaugural auction draft, and as you can imagine, it was a death sentence for my team. With some maneuvering of the waiver wire, this is what my team ended up looking like by the end of the year. Still bad, but it was so much worse . 14 team, $200 budget. Anyone picked up off waivers counts as $1 towards the $200 cap.

QB Ben Roethlisberger $5
Cam Newton $16
RB Zac Stacy $33
Isaiah Crowell $1
DeMarco Murray $41
Reggie Bush $15
Doug Martin $33
WR Odell Beckham $1
Roddy White $19
Donte Moncrief $1
Vincent Jackson $27
Martavis Bryant $1
Jarvis Landry $1
TE Jace Amaro $1
Tyler Eifert $1
Every one valued at $1 were people I managed to pluck off the waiver wire during the year. I got Beckham early in the year while he was still hurt and an impatient owner released him, Eifert as well, for example. As you can see, I have an uphill battle on my hands. I will be releasing Newton, Stacy, VJax, Bush, Martin, Amaro, and (most likely) D. Murray back into the auction pool this year and clearing their money off. Unfortunately this league doesn't have a rookie draft, just an auction year to year. So help me out guys! I would love as many suggestions as possible as to what direction I should go in..am I making the right decision in letting these guys go and building with my core of Big Ben, Crowell, Beckham, Bryant, Landry, Moncrief and Eifert. I am obviously going to need to seriously upgrade my backs, and outside of Beckham and to a lesser extent Landry, there are no guarantees there either. I am hoping Eifert can stay healthy and make a leap. I probably won't be competing for a title this year, so what are some suggestions on what to do and players to target? I don't know who will be in draft pool yet as the keeper deadline is on the 26th. I will update that information in this thread when that happens. Have at it guys. All suggestions are welcome. Post your links and I will be sure to help on your threads as well.

I would definitely cut Stacy, Newton, Bush, White, Amaro. Guys like VJax and Martin "could" be cut-worthy, but VJax could definitely rebound this season and if Martin is starting, he's worth owning. I wouldn't cut Murray - your RB depth would be a wasteland without him. Crowell is a nice hold at $1. Your WR depth is obviously great for the low cost - Beckham/Bryant/Landry/Moncrief for $4 is pretty damn ridiculous.

I'd definitely focus on RB's - maybe in the Yeldon/Melvin Gordon tier? They should be the starters on their respective teams. If you keep Murray/Martin/Crowell you'll have a high-upside core, though problems with Martin/Crowell could easily creep up. I think you're close to set at WR already, though aiming for one more WR2/WR3 type should solidify that unit.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=532710

Is 41$ for a RB a lot of money in this league? If is not that much I'd probably keep him and add him to the core of guys. Then go for another top RB and go from there.

I wouldn't cut murray. IF anything, use him as a trade later on. Martin at 33...yeah I would cut him. Would unload white, stacy as well.

Vincent jackson - I don't know about him. I would almost contemplate keeping him this year. Has to rebound...right?

As for the rest, dump the money on gordon, agholor, maybe yeldon. At least you will beef up your RB core.

Is 41$ for a RB a lot of money in this league? If is not that much I'd probably keep him and add him to the core of guys. Then go for another top RB and go from there.

$41 is basically 20% of the alotted $200 limit. I was thinking of throwing Murray back out there and trying to reacquire him at a lower price. The same goes for Martin. I am not sure if I am comfortable with spending $74 on these two players, especially since this is a dynasty league and with the current state of my team, I am unsure if this team will be competing this season. I am thinking I should use this money on the young stud running backs we have coming into the league this year instead..but I am kind of on the fence. I need to see what the draft pool is looking like once the keeper deadline is set to make a better evaluation.

$41 is basically 20% of the alotted $200 limit. I was thinking of throwing Murray back out there and trying to reacquire him at a lower price. The same goes for Martin. I am not sure if I am comfortable with spending $74 on these two players, especially since this is a dynasty league and with the current state of my team, I am unsure if this team will be competing this season. I am thinking I should use this money on the young stud running backs we have coming into the league this year instead..but I am kind of on the fence. I need to see what the draft pool is looking like once the keeper deadline is set to make a better evaluation.

What I would do is punt this season (but I'm pretty aggressive in trying to build an absolute winner and am willing to sacrifice a season to do so).

Cut Martin, Cam, DeMarco, Roddy, Bush, Vjax. I'd keep Amaro only because he's $1. I'd also consider cutting Moncrief because I think Dorsett is the real deal but at a $1 that's up to you.

Make sure to get Gurley and two more of the MG3, Amer, Yeldon, Coleman class. Keep an eye on Cobb, Duke, David Johnson as well. Take $1 flyers on two of the Josh Robinson, Langford, Matt Jones, Artis Payne group as they all were drafted and are behind aging or injury prones RBs (or a free agent RB in Jones' case). Maybe you can wait and grab some of these guys off waivers and lock in the $1 price.

Nice job on the WR moves last year to get Landry, ODB, and Bryant. That's three nice pieces. I'd go all out for Cooper. Given that you were able to get Landry and OBJ off waivers I suspect you'd be able to do the same with Kevin White, Parker, Green Beckham, Perriman. I'd look to get two or three of those guys.

But this is all with the idea that you're looking to next year. Obviously this can change after you see the guys available and you can change course if there are some big times studs out there but based on the info you've provided that's what I'd do. Oh yeah, I'd get another cheap high upside QB as well if there's one available.

What I would do is punt this season (but I'm pretty aggressive in trying to build an absolute winner and am willing to sacrifice a season to do so).

Cut Martin, Cam, DeMarco, Roddy, Bush, Vjax. I'd keep Amaro only because he's $1. I'd also consider cutting Moncrief because I think Dorsett is the real deal but at a $1 that's up to you.

Make sure to get Gurley and two more of the MG3, Amer, Yeldon, Coleman class. Keep an eye on Cobb, Duke, David Johnson as well. Take $1 flyers on two of the Josh Robinson, Langford, Matt Jones, Artis Payne group as they all were drafted and are behind aging or injury prones RBs (or a free agent RB in Jones' case). Maybe you can wait and grab some of these guys off waivers and lock in the $1 price.

Nice job on the WR moves last year to get Landry, ODB, and Bryant. That's three nice pieces. I'd go all out for Cooper. Given that you were able to get Landry and OBJ off waivers I suspect you'd be able to do the same with Kevin White, Parker, Green Beckham, Perriman. I'd look to get two or three of those guys.

But this is all with the idea that you're looking to next year. Obviously this can change after you see the guys available and you can change course if there are some big times studs out there but based on the info you've provided that's what I'd do. Oh yeah, I'd get another cheap high upside QB as well if there's one available.

This is all great advice, with the one caveat being that I'd keep Murray. I think you can afford it and he really could end up a RB1 for a few years at least. Pair that with your nice wr core and a hit or two in the rookie rbs.....Next year may not be out of the question for a title run.

This is all great advice, with the one caveat being that I'd keep Murray. I think you can afford it and he really could end up a RB1 for a few years at least. Pair that with your nice wr core and a hit or two in the rookie rbs.....Next year may not be out of the question for a title run.

I'd have no problem keeping a Lacy, Bell, Jeremy Hill, or even CJ Anderson @ $41 given their age but I don't feel the same way about a guy in Murray that had his workload last year and is 27ish. Plus, by cutting him at that salary (along with all the other combined cuts) he can always reacquire him in the auction if he really wants him back. If he keeps the $1 guys and Ben he'll have about $188 to spend. He can really do whatever he wants at that time.

My recommendation was scorched Earth rebuilding but if there are enough top 40/50 players and studs thrown back in the pool he can change course and go for it with $188 to spend. We just have no idea of knowing if a Julio, Dez, Lacy, Charles, etc will be out there.

But I understand your thoughts about Murray.

Love this post...appreciate this. I have been thinking along these same lines prior to seeing what the draft pool is looking like. I don't see anybody throwing studs like Le'Veon Bell and Lacy back into the pool, so I am figuring why not build for the future anyway? I am very interested to see what players will end up on waivers after the draft. For some reason I think Green-Beckham and Perriman will be drafted, but we will see. I can also see White being able to be had for really cheap...we will see. I don't see anybody having more money than me for this draft, since my roster turnover will be so high. I just don't want to overpay for anyone. What do you guys think is a sensible price to pay for Gurley in a 14 team auction league? I am also going to look to lock up one of the two rookie QB's this year in Winston or Mariota, but I am having trouble deciding which one to target and for what price. This has been extremely helpful...keep em coming!

Yeah I don't think Murray is going to go for $41 again this year unless an owner is confident he will put him over the top and is willing to go for it all. Autobid really screwed me last season...I was trying to trade Murray all year, and people were trying to fleece me. Davante Adams was on waivers, and I lost the FAAB bid for him by a dollar. I go to the guy that got him later on, and offer him Murray for Adams and Amaro...dude sends me back BS counter offers...he then trades Adams later on for something of way lesser value and cuts Amaro, which is why he is on the team now. I won't ever make a deal with that guy moving forward because of it.

I like both of the young QBs but haven't decided which one more yet for my own fantasy draft. I also like Bridgewater, Tanneyhill, Russell Wilson, and for $1 only I'd be willing to take a flyer on...Johnny Football.

I like both of the young QBs but haven't decided which one more yet for my own fantasy draft. I also like Bridgewater, Tanneyhill, Russell Wilson, and for $1 only I'd be willing to take a flyer on...Johnny Football.

Yup, big lesson learned was to be present for a startup draft in dynasty, by ANY means necessary. When I saw the draft results I was so pissed, because there were some really decent players to be had for absolute steals...Mike Evans went for $8 bucks..Beckham went for $3 but his owner got impatient and dropped him before he came back. Meanwhile the computer autobid and threw up massive amounts of money for players that were of no use to me. At least I can recover this year and think longterm with a talented rookie class coming in. All of the rebuilding got me addicted to Dynasty though, so thats a good thing too.

Yup, big lesson learned was to be present for a startup draft in dynasty, by ANY means necessary. When I saw the draft results I was so pissed, because there were some really decent players to be had for absolute steals...Mike Evans went for $8 bucks..Beckham went for $3 but his owner got impatient and dropped him before he came back. Meanwhile the computer autobid and threw up massive amounts of money for players that were of no use to me. At least I can recover this year and think longterm with a talented rookie class coming in. All of the rebuilding got me addicted to Dynasty though, so thats a good thing too.

Given those prices you should be able to get some of the rookies this year for cheap. Gurley is a must get though.

Given those prices you should be able to get some of the rookies this year for cheap. Gurley is a must get though.

I will be bullish on Gurley and have him as a must-own. I hope the price can stay low on him.

I agree with what's been said. However, I would, depending on the auction rules, try to get Martin again at around $20.

I agree with what's been said. However, I would, depending on the auction rules, try to get Martin again at around $20.

Yep, I don't mind bidding on Martin again this year, but at a discount...The autobid last year of 33 was a bit absurd...but seeing how he has looked so far this year, I would take him back at a discounted rate...he is also in a contract year so he going to produce. I was very impressed with what I saw out of Martin in last night's game.

I'd also keep Murray. While not cheap, you have enough bargains to afford him and you need someone to stabilize your backfield.

Thanks for mine!