Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GODsBestFriend

RIP Justin Wilson

Dont follow nascar but I've seen this on ESPN all day. It's pretty sad nonethless.

IndyCar Series driver Justin Wilson died Monday after suffering a severe head injury at Pocono Raceway. He was 37.

Wilson was hit in the head by a piece of debris from Sage Karam's car. Karam, leading the race at the time, crashed by himself, spreading debris from his car across the track. What appeared to be the nose cone of Karam's car bounced on the track and struck a trailing Wilson in the helmet. Wilson was apparently knocked unconscious. His car then veered suddenly to the left and he struck the inside wall.

Wilson was airlifted to Lehigh Valley Hospital – Cedar Crest in Allentown, Pa., where he was in a coma.

IndyCar made the announcement of Wilson's passing at approximately 9 p.m. ET Monday. The sanctioning body did not take any questions about his death and said he died while surrounded by his family. Wilson is survived by his wife Julia and their two children.

Very sad. Open car racing (no roof) is very dangerous. Prayers for the wife and kids, especially the kids, they just lost their dad.

Was very sad to hear this,especially with a wife and kids involved.Prayers to his family and friends.Michael Andretti was my guy for years and alot of people really don't know how dangerous Indy cars can be with no roll cage.Thanks for taking the time to share.

I don't follow Indy Car very closely (I'm a F1 fan myself), but open car racing is very dangerous. Reminds me a few years back when Felipe Massa fractured his skull after an 800 gram spring off of a car ahead of him struck his head at 160 mph.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/jul/25/felipe-massa-fernando-alonso-hungarian

My thoughts and prayers are with the Wilson family right now. Such a tragedy. Those kids lost their father that day. Can't even imagine what the family is going through right now.