Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blazer

FEAR the Walking Dead

Well, what do you think? Critics were posting before the first episode aired (private screenings) that it was slow and boring. I didn't see that, the two hour premiere was, IMO, interesting and somewhat engaging as a prequel to the Walking Dead. However, these new characters are a long shot from the original series. The characters in the Walking Dead are people we can relate to and root for. In the new series, I'm not rooting for a heroin addict and a dysfunctional family. One of the only good outcomes of a zombie apocalypse is that the dysfunctional and drug addicted that plague our society are gone. Not sure where they go with this series, but, I'm not rooting for this dysfunctional group to do anything, but go away. My bet ... this series fails. They are not likable, and they offer nothing positive.

Does it matter if you've seen the Walking Dead?

I mean there were some undesirables in Walking Dead as well. A racist, a wife beater, Rick's crazy *** friend who slept with his wife when they thought he was dead. It's tough to compete when the original series has become so popular and been around for a while. Give it some time to allow characters to develop. Even Daryl wasn't that likable in the beginning.

Does it matter if you've seen the Walking Dead?

Yeah +1 with this. I have watched all of the Walking Dead, but I'm not very well versed in it and I am curious if there is any correlation.

I mean there were some undesirables in Walking Dead as well. A racist, a wife beater, Rick's crazy *** friend who slept with his wife when they thought he was dead. It's tough to compete when the original series has become so popular and been around for a while. Give it some time to allow characters to develop. Even Daryl wasn't that likable in the beginning.

Valid point, need to see how these characters are developed. We'll see .. I'll watch next week. I liked the first episode enough to want to see where the writers want to go.

I plan on sticking with it and see where it goes.

Me too ... but not liking the not so subtle anti-cop vibe, but, they could be taking the opposite approach. The current anti-cop mood driven by the media and the president is shown here to be fallacious ... don't trust cops, protest, well, then take care of the zombies yourself. It's an interesting point of view, where we see a black woman ask a white cop "what is happening" and his response, as he is loading water bottles into the trunk of his car, says, "ask someone else." She replies, why did I bother, or some such sentiment. We see the breakdown of trust between the police and the citizens, and is the show asking, how is that helpful? Or, is the show just perpetuating more negative views on the police. So, the scenes where the cops are clearly taking out zombies, but the people on the street see police brutality, and start protesting, and make things worse, is an interesting move. Taking current media and gov't anti-police vibes and making them part of the frabic of the story is a risk, and if it continues, I'll stop watching. I know one thing, without cops, my neighborhood is screwed.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with the show. I live overseas so I can't watch it on regular TV. The local websites aren't posting the show and can't find it on Youtube either. :(

It is on hiatus for a couple weeks if that helps.

So, how many episodes have been shown so far? I have only seen the 1st episode so far.

Is this the series where they explain what happened before the outbreak?

Yes, It's the prequel to TWD.

Is this the series where they explain what happened before the outbreak?

Yes, It's the prequel to TWD.

Seems like it's just a parrel in time of the TWD in LA. Maybe they will have a flash back session in the future but after 6 episodes there is no indication of a prequel in time showing what happened before the outbreak.

i was very disappointed with Fear. i didn't mind the slowness of it per se. it was kind of expected for it to be slow as everyone expected it to be before the zombie outbreak. but then 3-4 (?) episodes into the series, they're already in a camp run by the military and the viewer can only assume it's because the zombies have pretty much overrun the entire state/country by now. the zombie outbreak was something they could've held off on. so in that regards it wasn't slow enough.

also, it seems like they just intentionally mislead the audience- "this is life leading up to the Zombie Apocalypse" was essentially the tagline of the series. but we really didn't see all that much of what happened before. the ZA happens after 3 episodes. we're essentially right where Rick was when he woke up in the hospital.

so with that said, Fear did very little to separate itself from TWD. a spin off should really be it's own show, just with some similar elements from the original show. on top of not being different enough, we have a bunch of boring characters. i really don't care about any of them. it wasn't until the finale until i started to care about one of them, Chris, who was the first character to finally show any depth imo. all the characters just seem so shallow. being a drug addict doesn't make you a complex character. good writing makes you a complex character. which is probably the biggest problem, either the writers aren't that good or they assume that most/enough TWD fans are going to just watch Fear regardless so they are just getting lazy in their writing.

i'm worried that it is just going to be TWD with different characters which is pointless and will just make TWD more boring due to zombie overload. i'll give season 2 a chance but if nothing changes, i'm out.

i was very disappointed with Fear. i didn't mind the slowness of it per se. it was kind of expected for it to be slow as everyone expected it to be before the zombie outbreak. but then 3-4 (?) episodes into the series, they're already in a camp run by the military and the viewer can only assume it's because the zombies have pretty much overrun the entire state/country by now. the zombie outbreak was something they could've held off on. so in that regards it wasn't slow enough.

also, it seems like they just intentionally mislead the audience- "this is life leading up to the Zombie Apocalypse" was essentially the tagline of the series. but we really didn't see all that much of what happened before. the ZA happens after 3 episodes. we're essentially right where Rick was when he woke up in the hospital.

so with that said, Fear did very little to separate itself from TWD. a spin off should really be it's own show, just with some similar elements from the original show. on top of not being different enough, we have a bunch of boring characters. i really don't care about any of them. it wasn't until the finale until i started to care about one of them, Chris, who was the first character to finally show any depth imo. all the characters just seem so shallow. being a drug addict doesn't make you a complex character. good writing makes you a complex character. which is probably the biggest problem, either the writers aren't that good or they assume that most/enough TWD fans are going to just watch Fear regardless so they are just getting lazy in their writing.

i'm worried that it is just going to be TWD with different characters which is pointless and will just make TWD more boring due to zombie overload. i'll give season 2 a chance but if nothing changes, i'm out.

to clarify, i don't dislike the characters because they are a dysfunctional family, or because he's a drug addict or any of that. i could root for people like that. i don't think being a bad person makes you a bad/boring character or that every show needs a generic good guy protagonist. just saying that the writing makes them boring and unlikable, not their personalities or vices.

I agree with your main point that the writing has been the major flaw. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish, and if this is a parallel timeline with the original series, what's the point? The traditional role of a prequel is to answer some questions left unanswered in the original series, and to ask more, leaving for some intrigue. The main question is simple: where did the virus come from? If FWD is simply going to be political commentary --- the police are murderers and the military is incompetent, unstable, stupid and criminal, I'm out. How to make a Zombie series fail ... make it political because the writers have no skills. Don't know how most of you feel, but, the portrayal of the police and the military in this series is highly offensive to those of us who have police and military in our families. My father was a wounded combat Marine (deceased) who served with great honor, and the show's depiction of the military is not realistic and seemingly based on ignorance or political bias.