Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Best Baseball Books?

Moneyball was recently mentioned in another thread, & that made me wonder if anyone had a few recommendations regarding baseball books. There are tons of books on the subject, so which ones have you truly enjoyed due to pure entertainment value &/or insights into the sport?

I'll kick it off by saying I somewhat recently read & loved Birth of a Dynasty, by Joel Sherman, about the 1996 Yankees. Those were the days ...

Oh, & I'm going to reread Game of Shadows ... lol!

"Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame" by Bill James. Wonderful, wonderful history of how the Hall of Fame came to be, how and why the voting process kept changing, why certain players (usually in bunches from the ssame era or team) got in when they did not deserve to get in, the explanation of how James came up with his various "standards" (Hall of Fame Monitor, Hall fo Fame Standards, Comparability, Black and Grey Ink Tests, et al), and some great anecdotal examples (like comparing Rizzuto and Reese, or Rizzuto and a guy named Purdy, or looking at Drysdale in detail ... or the difference between 2 pitchers who look similar in aggregate, but one had severla star years while the other was more consistent year to year, and who helped his team win more). Also, an extremely readable book.

"Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame" by Bill James. Wonderful, wonderful history of how the Hall of Fame came to be, how and why the voting process kept changing, why certain players (usually in bunches from the ssame era or team) got in when they did not deserve to get in, the explanation of how James came up with his various "standards" (Hall of Fame Monitor, Hall fo Fame Standards, Comparability, Black and Grey Ink Tests, et al), and some great anecdotal examples (like comparing Rizzuto and Reese, or Rizzuto and a guy named Purdy, or looking at Drysdale in detail ... or the difference between 2 pitchers who look similar in aggregate, but one had severla star years while the other was more consistent year to year, and who helped his team win more). Also, an extremely readable book.

....if you can stand reading Bill James.

Nice.

I haven't ready this one yet, but I want to. It's about the obsession of people who play fantasy baseball, LOL! It's called Fantasyland, by Sam Walker.

Fantasyland was enjoyable, anyone who plays fantasy sports would enjoy it. Juiced, now that so much of it is coming out as true, should be picked up. Money Ball, of course. I've heard The Baseball Economist is good.

I just finished reading Fantasyland & there were many laugh out loud moments fantasy players would truly enjoy! It's a must read for nuts like us!

Ball Four by Jim Bouton

Feeding the Green Monser by Rob Neyer was ok

Teammates by David Halberstram

I've got to bring up this ancient thread. I recently read Ball Four by Jim Bouton. CLASSIC! He's funny & he's writes VERY well in a conversational tone. While some of what he revelas may no longer be earth-shattering secrets, there's still a lot that's juicy. Don't wait nearly forever like me to read this classic!

i just finished reading tim kurkjians is this a great game or what? and it was amazing. if you truly love the game of baseball then its a must read. anyone recommend some good baseball reads?

tim kurkjians is this a great game or what was awesome. each chapter is about a different baseball topic. its filled with hundreds of laugh out loud anecdotes.

OTher than those mentioned... ummm The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams (Got my signed copy 3 feet away)

Umm The Worth of a Man by Dave Dravecky

Fair Ball by Bob Costas. Written in 2000 even before the Yankees payroll got ridiculously out of hand. Excellent suggestions for reducing the fake parity created by the Wild Card and more importantly, installing a salary cap system.

My top 3

3. Whole Different Ballgame - Marvin Miller

Very Very Interesting and not dull tons of pages, but i flew through it.

2. September Swoon: Richie Allen, the '64 Phillies, and Racial Integration - William Kashatus

Great story about a hard luck team. Very quick read and great

1. Crash The Life and Time of Dick Allen - Tim Whitaker

One of my favorite all time books, subject is a friend of mine, and i pull this out whenever i run out of reads and have read it ten plus times.

Wow, I have to say that The Yankee Years is one of the best baseball books I've ever read. Tom Verducci does a brilliant job not only profiling Torre, but recapping the history of PEDs in the MLB, the rise of Money Ball trends, the whole A-Rod saga. I really can't praise this book enough. A great read for fans of any team.

Moneyball and FantasyLand were great, as all are commenting.

I also loved "Love Me, Hate Me" by Jeff Pearlman on Bonds. It was eye-opening. He conducted an unbelievable amount of research and interviews from Bonds' past. Tons of stories from former teammates/coaches/boyhood friends/everyone. Im tired of the whole Bonds saga...but I really recommend it.

Also, I heard that "Lefty" by Sandy Koufax was great. A buddy just read it and is going to lend it to me.

Nice.

I haven't ready this one yet, but I want to. It's about the obsession of people who play fantasy baseball, LOL! It's called Fantasyland, by Sam Walker.

I just finished reading Fantasyland & there were many laugh out loud moments fantasy players would truly enjoy! It's a must read for nuts like us!

Well, they recently made a "documentary" based on the premise of the book, Fantasyland (regular guy competes in Tout Wars). However, Fantasyland the documentary doesn't measure up to the book. It just felt like a surface glance w/ no real insight into the psychology or the history of fantasy sports. Worst of all, I thought the regular guy they picked to enter Tout Wars, Jed Latkin, was thoroughly unlikable. Eh, just read the book!

Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game is Wrong is an OUTSTANDING read. It's by the Baseball Prospectus group, and it can be had used on Amazon for under $2. Any book with a chapter called "Why Doesn't Billy Beane's S### Work in the Playoffs?" has got to be great. Other topics that I found fascinating that are covered: Is there such a thing as a "clutch hitter"? Does batting order matter? When's the correct time to use your closer?

Really, great read. I highly recommend it.

Nice.

i havent read many baseball books, but fantasyland was one of the ones ive read and it was a great read.

especially for most fantasy sports addicts, this read will be very entertaining.

ive read moneyball as well, but i only found a few parts of the book interesting while others were pretty boring.

highly recommend fantasyland

SIDNEY PONSON for $12!!!....cricket, cricket...

A Well-Paid Slave: Curt Flood's Fight for Free Agency in Professional Sports by Brad Snyder. Loved it. Even though most fans do not recall the name Curt Flood, he is probably the most important athlete in modern history. Every baseball player today should be grateful for what Flood did for them.

i recommend 'the life you imagine' which is derek jeters autobiography. i found it to be pretty inspirational.

I'm thinking of looking up these two:

Sandy Koufax: "A Lefty's Legacy"

and

a biography of Lou Gehrig called "The Luckiest Man."

I've heard good things about them.

This one just came out & I haven't read it yet. I want to though when it comes out in paperback.

Opening Day:The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season, by Jonathan Eig.

I'm thinking of looking up these two:

Sandy Koufax: "A Lefty's Legacy"

and

a biography of Lou Gehrig called "The Luckiest Man."

I've heard good things about them.

I've read Luckiest Man by Jonathan Eig a while back. Eig did a fine job gathering little known facts & details, but his task was difficult b/c Gehrig just did not have much of a personality. In the end though I still found it to be a fine read.

I also just finished reading Opening Day again by Eig. Now that was quite powerful thanks to the subject matter & the subject. Robinson is full of personality & his challenges were great. Another fine read I highly recommend.

Crazy '08: How a Cast of Cranks, Rogues, Boneheads, and Magnates Created the Greatest Year in Baseball History -- For those who love to read about the old days of baseball. It's probably one of the best written baseball books out there, it's hilarious, and it talks about an era of baseball that's completely alien to anything we know now.

The book I'm just dying to read is "Beyond Belief" The Josh Hamilton Story.

I know we've all heard the story before, but to have the entire deal, detail by detail, would be very interesting for me.

Do you guys have any recommendations for front office-related works similar to Moneyball?

Just picked up the book "Fantasyland"

Anyone read it? Thoughts?