Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Kevin Slowey 2008

From CBS Sports ...

News: Twins SP Kevin Slowey pitched 1 2/3 innings Friday against the Red Sox, but he allowed a two-run homer to Kevin Youkilis and a solo shot to Jason Varitek. In total, he allowed four hits and two walks and recorded two strikeouts.

Analysis: Slowey is trying to secure a spot in the Twins rotation, but he didn't do himself much good with Friday's performance. He could be a potential Fantasy ace in the future. For now, consider him nothing more than a potential Fantasy sleeper on Draft Day 2008.

-------------------------

So what will the MIN rotation look like? Will Slowey be valuable in 2008?

From CBS Sports ...

News: Twins SP Kevin Slowey pitched 1 2/3 innings Friday against the Red Sox, but he allowed a two-run homer to Kevin Youkilis and a solo shot to Jason Varitek. In total, he allowed four hits and two walks and recorded two strikeouts.

Analysis: Slowey is trying to secure a spot in the Twins rotation, but he didn't do himself much good with Friday's performance. He could be a potential Fantasy ace in the future. For now, consider him nothing more than a potential Fantasy sleeper on Draft Day 2008.

Honestly I doubt he is ever more than a fantasy #3 and probably a fantasy #5 is the best case scenario for this year.

From CBS Sports ...

Scott Baker, Boof Bonser, Liriano, and Hernandez are pretty much locked in unless Liriano has arm issues. Glen Perkins, Slowey, Nick Blackburn, Phil Humber are probably battling for the 5th spot.

Humber, Perkins and Slowey had rough first outings.

Both Scott Baker and Boof Bonser pitched well in their first spring games.

Slowey is a dog. He's a AAAA player, nothing more.

Wow, ssmarsh that was pretty harsh! Throw the Slowmeister a bone or is that a cigar?

Hey, I just tell it like it is...for me to poop on!!

One bad outing guys....don't run him over with the bus yet.

I think there is something there, I just like Scott Baker better as a sleeper pick this year. Slowey may be better in the long run.

you guys don't know what you are talking about.

One ST outing does not dictate how a player is going to perform during the season.

Slowey is going to be one of the better young SP's in the AL this year and he will be no less than the Twins 3rd best starter.

Slowey is a dog. He's a AAAA player, nothing more.

Kevin Slowey minor league totals:

21-12, 1.93 ERA, 0.86 WHIP, 8.69 K/9, 1.22 BB/9, 342K/48BB, 0.43 HR/9.

WHAT A BUM.

I think there is something there, I just like Scott Baker better as a sleeper pick this year. Slowey may be better in the long run.

I get Slowey and Baker confused, not sure why. Which one almost threw a no-hitter last year??

you guys don't know what you are talking about. One ST outing does not dictate how a player is going to perform during the season. Slowey is going to be one of the better young SP's in the AL this year and he will be no less than the Twins 3rd best starter.

I agree that his ST performance so far means nothing. I also agree that he pitched really well in AAA last year. However, until he shows me he can do it in the bigs, I'll let someone else grab him.

I agree that his ST performance so far means nothing. I also agree that he pitched really well in AAA last year. However, until he shows me he can do it in the bigs, I'll let someone else grab him.

That would be the case for all prospects then, huh?...

Slowey will be a solid and servicable number 2. He has excellent control. Not quite this year, as he is still pretty young only benig 23. But he pitches in a great pitchers park and the Twins know how to develop pitchers. Also in the minors he was excellent at not giving up home runs, that outing should be totally ignored.

A little tid bit for all you haters. Triple A numbers at age 23, 107 K's to only 18 BB's. That's a 5.94 K/BB ratio, I don't think you can find a better ratio out of AAA.

Yes, it is. He has 66.7 MLB innings under his belt which isn't enough for me to buy into anyone. AAA stats are nice and can be good indicators, but pitching to major league hitters is a different story.

I get Slowey and Baker confused, not sure why. Which one almost threw a no-hitter last year??

I believe it was Baker. Both of them have great control and subsequentley great K to BB ratios. It just looks like Baker is a bit ahead of Slowey in terms of thier progression. Slowey has really been dominating in the minors, it just hasnt translated as much to the pros yet as it has with Baker who showed some great flashes last year.

Clay Bucholtz had a bad outing for the Red Sox, abandon ship!

Spring training doesn't mean shat...unless there is an injury.

Santana get lit in his debut. Dont put stock into the 1st few spring outings.

Slowey is a nice sleeper this year. He doesnt walk anyone an will get his fair share of Ks. He'll be up and down but should be a quality guy to round out your rotation for this year. If he progresses the way I think he can he will be a solid fantasy contributor for years to come.

Guest ciderjack6

I think Slowey could be a poor man's Greg Maddux this year, albeit with a lot more home runs alllowed.

FWIW, here's what resident pitching expert bogfella has to say on Slowey: http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?show...lowey&st=40

Kevin Slowey - His stuff isn't overwhelming (high 80s) but he spots his pitches exceptionally well and its good enough to make him a potential success. The Twins have lots of young arms including Johann, Liriano, Baker, Garza and Slowey so he will have to do well to keep a rotation spot but I think he might be able to do that. I don't see him being a star per say but he has the command (maybe the best of the current kid crop) to put up a nice ratio and ERA with a fair amount of strikeouts.

Slowey will be a solid and servicable number 2. He has excellent control. Not quite this year, as he is still pretty young only benig 23. But he pitches in a great pitchers park and the Twins know how to develop pitchers. Also in the minors he was excellent at not giving up home runs, that outing should be totally ignored.

A little tid bit for all you haters. Triple A numbers at age 23, 107 K's to only 18 BB's. That's a 5.94 K/BB ratio, I don't think you can find a better ratio out of AAA.

That ratio is very rare for a pitcher that age.

Latest RW update:

Kevin Slowey was tagged for three runs in two innings by the Yankees on Wednesday.

A second straight poor showing for Slowey, who just doesn't seem to have feel for his offspeed pitches yet. It might not take more than one more of these before he loses his status as the favorite for the fifth spot in Minnesota's rotation.

FWIW, here's what resident pitching expert bogfella has to say on Slowey: http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?show...lowey&st=40

Kevin Slowey - His stuff isn't overwhelming (high 80s) but he spots his pitches exceptionally well and its good enough to make him a potential success. The Twins have lots of young arms including Johann, Liriano, Baker, Garza and Slowey so he will have to do well to keep a rotation spot but I think he might be able to do that. I don't see him being a star per say but he has the command (maybe the best of the current kid crop) to put up a nice ratio and ERA with a fair amount of strikeouts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ssmarsh," Johan & Garza have been traded away(just an update for you), and I like Baker & Slowey due to their k/bb rates throughout their careers & especially their average cheap cost to draft.

"ssmarsh," Johan & Garza have been traded away(just an update for you)

Yes, I know. I cut and pasted that writeup by bogfella.

The thing I don't like about Slowey, Sonnastine, and to a lesser degree, Kennedy, is that I don't see any one great *out* pitch. Kennedy is better than the 2 others, but the point remains that when you don't have a great filthy go-to pitch to get the K, good AL hitters will simply foul off mediocre stuff until they get something they can handle & crush. They have control, but they don't dominate, and that's a big distinction in my books.

(See: Aaron Laffey & Jeremy Sowers for 2 more examples)

As much as I think they're control artists, the jump to the big leagues makes it tougher for them to reproduce their success IMO. Even great breakout guys like Shields get beaten around when they don't have their "A" stuff; when your "A" stuff doesn't rate as highly because of the lack of "A" stuff, I tend to get less excited about their potential for success.

As end-game material for deep leagues (16+ teams or AL/NL-only 10-teamers), they're worth speculating on, but not much else in my books.