Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Kevin Slowey 2008

Guest zubaz4fans

what do you fellers project for the twinkie this year. he's not a glorified scott baker is he? should i drop his a** for Kershaw or Chad Gaudin?

Guest zubaz4fans

Twins SP Kevin Slowey (biceps) pitched five hitless innings Saturday in his second rehab start for Single-A Fort Myers. He walked one and struck out five. He'll make his next rehab start Thursday for Triple-A Rochester.

Does anyone care about this? Should we be paying any attention to what he's doin

Much appreciated update...I have him on my bench and with Baker potentially banged up he may be back in the rotation soon.

Twins SP Kevin Slowey (biceps) pitched five hitless innings Saturday in his second rehab start for Single-A Fort Myers. He walked one and struck out five. He'll make his next rehab start Thursday for Triple-A Rochester.

Does anyone care about this? Should we be paying any attention to what he's doin

If you need someone to post a sub-4 ERA and a solid WHIP, Slowey is your man.

Much appreciated update...I have him on my bench and with Baker potentially banged up he may be back in the rotation soon.

I hope so.

i got this guy..... lol

I traded him before the season started, and was just offered a trade in my AL only 5x5 league. Slowey and Alexi Ramirez for Jason Kubal.

3.1 innings... that's all it took to lose Pedro and Slowey to the DL. I still believe though... in both of them contributing this year.

Guest ciderjack6

When the heck is he supposed to come back anyway?

When the heck is he supposed to come back anyway?

this was his second rehab start (i believe) so he shouldn't be too far away.

The command is strong with this one.

I expect big things from him this season (in other words, he's going to be a better pitcher than Cueto at the end of the season). He's a must have in leagues that count KK/BB

Guest ciderjack6

Does he have a history of injury problems?

Or is this an isolated incident?

Slowey is a Shaun Marcum, James Shields type pitcher. I love him and I plan on winning my AL only league with his help.

Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

Should I drop Blackburn to pick Slowey up ?

Depends on your team. For the record, Blackburn is Baseball America's number one prospect for the Twins in 08

I like Slowey, but there are nights when he'll host his own home run derby, I think wins will be scarce for any Twins pitcher this year.

Update:

Kevin Slowey will start for Triple-A Rochester on Thursday. Slowey pitched five hitless innings on Saturday, and will likely be called up to start on May 10 against the Red Sox.

Update:

Kevin Slowey will start for Triple-A Rochester on Thursday. Slowey pitched five hitless innings on Saturday, and will likely be called up to start on May 10 against the Red Sox.

I would probably recommended not picking him up for his first start.

I also have Pedro and Slowey as well as Lackey on the DL. I will need to make some drops to accomidate them and it is possible Slowey is one of them. Anyone like Danks or J.Sanchez over slowey?

Guest ciderjack6
I like Slowey, but there are nights when he'll host his own home run derby, I think wins will be scarce for any Twins pitcher this year.

This is true but I'd rather have a HR derby from my pitcher than a Conga Line around the bases.

I also have Pedro and Slowey as well as Lackey on the DL. I will need to make some drops to accomidate them and it is possible Slowey is one of them. Anyone like Danks or J.Sanchez over slowey?

I had Slowey tabbed from early on due to his minor league numbers...

In 133.2 innings in AAA - he walked a TOTAL of 18 guys. And while he didn't strike out a batter per inning (107), he didn't give up a hit per inning either (110). Oh, and his ERA was 1.89 over that span.

His ML numbers won't be THAT good, but he's a control guy who hopefully will provide a solid WHIP and potentially sub-4 ERA, with a handfull of strikeouts.

Not sure about Danks and Sanchez - but Slowey should be a fine option.

This is true but I'd rather have a HR derby from my pitcher than a Conga Line around the bases.

Bahahahahaha. I just remembered that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's playing all nine positions for the Teatotalers against this vastly superior team, and there's that one part where the team is literally in a conga line around the bases. "Watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, perfect, pachydermic-percussion pitch!"

Anyways, back on topic. I was big on Kevin Slowey last season, and surprise, I still like him a lot now. He might not give you big strikeout numbers, but the kid knows how to pitch, and he can be on my team anytime. Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Bahahahahaha. I just remembered that Bugs Bunny cartoon where he's playing all nine positions for the Teatotalers against this vastly superior team, and there's that one part where the team is literally in a conga line around the bases. "Watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful, perfect, pachydermic-percussion pitch!"

Here's "Baseball Bugs" cued up and ready to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkz3_LD5MVs

Absolute CLASSIC!!

I had Slowey tabbed from early on due to his minor league numbers...

In 133.2 innings in AAA - he walked a TOTAL of 18 guys. And while he didn't strike out a batter per inning (107), he didn't give up a hit per inning either (110). Oh, and his ERA was 1.89 over that span.

His ML numbers won't be THAT good, but he's a control guy who hopefully will provide a solid WHIP and potentially sub-4 ERA, with a handfull of strikeouts.

Not sure about Danks and Sanchez - but Slowey should be a fine option.

A fine option at best. I watched him several times last year, and my impression was that he was far from overpowering; he relied on hitting the black and mixing in his slider just enough to keep hitters somewhat off balance. The guy can't afford to make mistakes -- he won't get away with them. What I'm getting at is that his WHIP will probably be somewhat respectable since he usually doesn't walk many, but he's prone to getting smacked around. It's hard for me to get excited about a guy that needs to be so on with his control to do well. Limited upside here.

Guest ciderjack6
A fine option at best. I watched him several times last year, and my impression was that he was far from overpowering; he relied on hitting the black and mixing in his slider just enough to keep hitters somewhat off balance. The guy can't afford to make mistakes -- he won't get away with them. What I'm getting at is that his WHIP will probably be somewhat respectable since he usually doesn't walk many, but he's prone to getting smacked around. It's hard for me to get excited about a guy that needs to be so on with his control to do well. Limited upside here.

Per Baseball Prospectus: A guy like Slowey has to go through an adjustment period when he reaches the bigs, but he still can succeed in the long run.

Perhaps they are right. Slowey put up a 6.02 ERA and 1.64 WHIP in 40 IP during his first stint. Then a 3.34 ERA and 1.04 WHIP with a 14.00 K/BB in 29 IP during his second stint in the bigs