Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dreams And Dwightmares

FAAB - Waiver Wire Thread

I think there should be a FAAB thread.

FAAB is quite different than the other waiver wires IMO.

I posted in the waiver wire thread about does anyone have a FAAB resource that gives an idea of a good price to bid on players and why, etc.

This post was deleted and I was referred to the a post that told me to go to to the Asst. Coach forum.

I've found over time that most of the Asst. coach forum is pretty weak compared to this part of the forum. And all I'm doing is throwing darts currently so I was looking for advice from some of the more knowledgeable people on this side of the forum.

I am not looking for the assistant coach forum stuff like "No one drafted Tyler Eifert, should I pick him up?"

Nor am I looking for the waiver wire stuff like "You should pick up Danny Woodhead"

What I really want is a resource that says "these are the hot waiver wire pickups and this is how much they should cost in FAAB", but if that resource doesn't exist then I guess I'm looking more for, if you're in a deep PPR league and Lance Dunbar is available he is probably worth 5% or 10% of your FAAB total allowance.

If Mods need to delete this, that's fine. I'll just continue throwing darts at the FAAB until I learn it (probably too late for this season). I bet only a small majority would benefit from this anyway so I won't be mad.

I like it. My leagues use FAAB as well, and this thread can be a nice centralized resource to gauge what this community perceives player X's value to be on a given week.

I'd pass on David Johnson this week, if he hasn't already been drafted, but I think James Jones will demand 10% FAAB, he'll be a nice flex ROS. Will think about others later.

I like it. My leagues use FAAB as well, and this thread can be a nice centralized resource to gauge what this community perceives player X's value to be on a given week.

I'd pass on David Johnson this week, if he hasn't already been drafted, but I think James Jones will demand 10% FAAB, he'll be a nice flex ROS. Will think about others later.

If you're doing FAAB and you've got like Dez and need to fill a WR spot, you're going to put a lot more than 10% FAAB on James Jones if he's still available. Something closer to 30%-40%. Top 20 WRs only come off the WW once or twice a year.

Sigmund Bloom from FBG does a lot with FAAB percentages. His suggestion was 50 percent of your budget on Moncrief and/or 20-30 percent on James Jones.

My league just stared doing FAAB this season ($100 budget) and I agree this thread would be an excellent resource.

Why so high on Moncrief? Hilton is day to day.

Because Moncrief was the clear No. 3 WR, and Andre Johnson looked like the Peyton Manning of WRs. So, Bloom claims, at the very least you could be getting Luck's No. 2 WR, and if Hilton misses any time, you may be staring at his No. 1.

If you're doing FAAB and you've got like Dez and need to fill a WR spot, you're going to put a lot more than 10% FAAB on James Jones if he's still available. Something closer to 30%-40%. Top 20 WRs only come off the WW once or twice a year.

30-40%?? really? DANG! I mean what do people do the remaining 16 weeks of the season? Are a lot of people broke after week 6? I'm def not trying to be condescending and am talking moreso being inquisitive as I have no real experience with this yet, just assumptions.

If James Jones was available and I needed a WR I would cap myself at about 20%, but this is just me, someone who has never done it talking.

I think in PPR Lance Dunbar looks like he could be valuable and since my RBs suuuccckkk, I was thinking about dropping 5-10% of my budget on him, but not sure if I'd even come close anymore.

I think half your budget is too much to spend on Moncrief in week 1. Hilton will be back and Dorsett could slowly become a bigger part of the offense. I personally would only spend prob 25%.

Oh and FAAB is awesome. Best waiver system by far

Because Moncrief was the clear No. 3 WR, and Andre Johnson looked like the Peyton Manning of WRs. So, Bloom claims, at the very least you could be getting Luck's No. 2 WR, and if Hilton misses any time, you may be staring at his No. 1.

Are you getting this info from the football guys' podcast?

30-40%?? really? DANG! I mean what do people do the remaining 16 weeks of the season? Are a lot of people broke after week 6?

We've done FAAB for 3 or 4 years now and what I noticed at least early on was the opposite. People were too conservative. A lot of people went into the last month of the year with a ton of FAAB left. Now that we've done it awhile people spend more early on because we're more comfortable with it. If this is your league's first year doing it my advice is be aggressive. You can probably score some good adds while your league mates try to get a feel for how it works. That said there's no one this week I'd spend 30-40% on

30-40%?? really? DANG! I mean what do people do the remaining 16 weeks of the season? Are a lot of people broke after week 6? I'm def not trying to be condescending and am talking moreso being inquisitive as I have no real experience with this yet, just assumptions.

If James Jones was available and I needed a WR I would cap myself at about 20%, but this is just me, someone who has never done it talking.

I think in PPR Lance Dunbar looks like he could be valuable and since my RBs suuuccckkk, I was thinking about dropping 5-10% of my budget on him, but not sure if I'd even come close anymore.

After the first six weeks, the chances of anyone showing up are slim-to-none.

After the first six weeks, the chances of anyone showing up are slim-to-none.

CJ Anderson? The WR breakouts usually do show up in the first month but a lot of times RB breakouts don't get their chance until an injury happens which can be any time during the season.

I know Yahoo has FAAB suggestions as well on their waiver articles.

But it's hard to suggest how much to bid. All of it is of course league dependent. Is it a 10 team league or a 14 team league? Do you start 2 or 3 WRs? How deep is the bench? How aggressive or conservative are your league mates?

As you can see here, one person says to spend 50% of your budget on Moncrief, while others say that's too much.

I love FAAB. I finally got my league to switch to it. Much nicer and more fair than the stupid rolling waivers.

^ CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill both had their "breakout" games in week 8 for example, so I wouldn't advise going out and blowing 30% of your FAAB on a WR3 in week 1.

30-40%?? really? DANG! I mean what do people do the remaining 16 weeks of the season? Are a lot of people broke after week 6?

We've done FAAB for 3 or 4 years now and what I noticed at least early on was the opposite. People were too conservative. A lot of people went into the last month of the year with a ton of FAAB left. Now that we've done it awhile people spend more early on because we're more comfortable with it. If this is your league's first year doing it my advice is be aggressive. You can probably score some good adds while your league mates try to get a feel for how it works. That said there's no one this week I'd spend 30-40% on

In my main redraft league, we have done blind bidding FAAB for 10 years now (yes, by far the best free agent system; first come first serve waiver systems are a joke), and this is my experience as well. Unless a top RB w/ an apparent clear handcuff goes down early (plus, obviously, for whatever reason, said handcuff wasn't drafted), early bids tend to be overly conservative.

I have been contrarian in this league in that regard. I tend to spend early & often to try & hit the waiver wire darling. I also tend to throw lots of small bids on speculative adds, just to see if I hit. Obviously, my hit rate is low, but sometimes it works very well--Roddy White & Victor Cruz the years they broke out; Keenan Allen in '13; Beckham in '14.

@cubbie5150 - got any guys you're throwing $2 or $3 bids at this week?

^ CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill both had their "breakout" games in week 8 for example, so I wouldn't advise going out and blowing 30% of your FAAB on a WR3 in week 1.

(1) 30% isn't your entire budget

(2) Later in the season, more people care less about their bench and are going to do speculative picks. Therefore, it's less likely players are still on the WW when they have their breakout game.

That's a fair point. I think you are getting at something else as well: what a person bids on a certain player may change dramatically depending on whether it is a depth add or an add to cover a starter's injury.

I think James Jones is around 10% if you are going for depth; 20% if you lost a guy like Dez to injury or a flex RB spot to injury.

I think anything less than 10% is not competitive for Jones, and anything more than 20% really hurts one's ability to gun for that essential RB FAAB pick mid season.

That's a fair point. I think you are getting at something else as well: what a person bids on a certain player may change dramatically depending on whether it is a depth add or an add to cover a starter's injury.

I think James Jones is around 10% if you are going for depth; 20% if you lost a guy like Dez to injury or a flex RB spot to injury.

I think anything less than 10% is not competitive for Jones, and anything more than 20% really hurts one's ability to gun for that essential RB FAAB pick mid season.

Honestly, even if I am stacked at WR, I still pick up James Jones for at least 20% of my budget. Here's why...

You can unstack your stacked WR group and pickup help in another spot and you have James Jones on your roster for depth (or you can offer him up for trade).

You don't want any FAAB left by the end of the season because it does absolutely nothing to help secure a playoff spot and win you the season. I looked back at my league and only 2 teams had spent their entire FAAB, 6 more had less than $10 of $150 at the end of the season, and most of the people at the bottom had a lot of money left. Why didn't they blow their loads on a player like Jeremy Hill or CJ Anderson? By the time those players broke out, they were already on someone elses bench for far less than big FAAB $$$

Are you getting this info from the football guys' podcast?

Twitter.

Another reason to

Honestly, even if I am stacked at WR, I still pick up James Jones for at least 20% of my budget. Here's why...

You can unstack your stacked WR group and pickup help in another spot and you have James Jones on your roster for depth (or you can offer him up for trade).

You don't want any FAAB left by the end of the season because it does absolutely nothing to help secure a playoff spot and win you the season. I looked back at my league and only 2 teams had spent their entire FAAB, 6 more had less than $10 of $150 at the end of the season, and most of the people at the bottom had a lot of money left. Why didn't they blow their loads on a player like Jeremy Hill or CJ Anderson? By the time those players broke out, they were already on someone elses bench for far less than big FAAB $$$

And keep another team from getting him. A desperate Dez owner is going to throw some $$$ at him so why not make a fair play for him. Always improve your bench. You're getting hit with the injury bug at some point.

Guys and girls, the moderators have discussed whether a separate FAAB waiver thread was necessary or should be merged with the existing waiver wire thread. After reviewing the high quality of posts within the thread thus far we're going to allow the FAAB thread to remain a separate one. This thread will continue to be under review and if it starts to skew towards AC it will be moved but as long as it retains the high quality of posts and information that's been displayed thus far it will stay as is.

Carry on...

You are asking me to spend 40% on Moncrief and I might do it.

You are asking me to spend 40% on Moncrief and I might do it.

Seems crazy considering Hilton is day-to-day...