Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dreams And Dwightmares

FAAB - Waiver Wire Thread

It's my first year doing an auction league and I'm unsure on how much to spend during free agency. It is a league where I can keep players for up to 4 years. We were given 400$ to spend during the draft and afterward, our remaining money went to what we could spend throughout the year on free agents. I have 150$ in my FA budget. Most people finished the draft and have around 20-40$ left. The person with the second most money left has 85$ left.

I currently have a bid in to drop Allen Robinson for Terrance Williams for 14$, is this too much, too little, or just right?

I also have a bid in to drop Matt Jones for Ronnie Hillman for 10$ is this too much, too little, or just right?

Here is my team:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB: Justin Forsett

RB: Frank Gore

RB: Chris Ivory

RB: Ameer Abdullah

RB: Tevin Coleman

RB: Doug Martin

RB: CJ Spiller

RB: Matt Jones (trying to drop for Ronnie Hillman)

WR: Jordan Matthews

WR: Vincent Jackson

WR: Golden Tate

WR: John Brown

WR: Allen Robinson (trying to drop for Terrance Williams)

TE: Greg Olsen

K: Stephen Gostkowski

D: STL

Question about the FAAB mechanics. This may be site specific.

I'm on NFL.com. If I place the highest bid, will I pay that amount for the player? Or will it simply 1-up the next highest bid, ala ebay?

From Footballguys waiver wire podcast with Sigmund Bloom and Cecil Lammey:

Mariota: 12-15%

Bradford: 5-10%

Palmer: 5-10%

Taylor: 5-10%

Dalton: 3-5%

Foles: 3-5%

Manziel: 1-3%

Smith: 1%

Mallett: 1%

Sproles: 25-50%+ (PPR)

D. Johnson: 12-25%

D. Lewis: 12-25%

Sankey: 10-20%

K. Williams: 7-15%

C. Michael: 5-10%

D. Williams: 5-10%

Dunbar: 3-5% (PPR)

Hillman: 3-5%

C. Johnson: 3-5%

Powell: 3-5%

J. Allen: 1%

Cunningham: 1%

K. Robinson: 1%

J. Thompson: 0-1%

Moncrief: 50% (Lower if league is conservative)

J. Jones: 20-40%

T. Williams: 15-30%

Dorsett: 15-30%

S. Johnson: 15-30%

Beasley: 3-5%

Harvin: 3-5%

Hurns: 1%

Lockett: 1%

Eifert: 50%+

D. Allen: 12-25%

Reed: 10-20%

ASJ: 5-10%

Ebron: 1-3%

L. Green: 1-3%

H. Miller: 1-3%

Rogers: 1-3%

Chandler: 1%

Cook: 1%

D. Fells: 1%

Wow, 50% for Moncrief? That seems so risky. Is he really that strong a bet moving forward?

Question about the FAAB mechanics. This may be site specific.

I'm on NFL.com. If I place the highest bid, will I pay that amount for the player? Or will it simply 1-up the next highest bid, ala ebay?

You pay whatever you bid.

Wow, 50% for Moncrief? That seems so risky. Is he really that strong a bet moving forward?

I think that's way too high personally. Hilton might not miss much (if any) time at all, they've still got Dorsett, Andre and the 2 TEs and it's tough to make any kind of meaningful conclusions from one bad week against one of the league's top defenses.

I was thinking more in the 20% range but it's possible Moncrief might just be way too inconsistent to be a weekly option this season.

Also, keep in mind Bloom has a really aggressive strategy regarding FAAB bidding.

I'm using 25% on D. Lewis so hopefully I'll be able to get him in the morning...

I think he'll do really well this year in PPR leagues..

Assuming that is correct how do I change the priority?

If anyone knows please let me know.

It's cleverly hidden under 'Edit Waiver Priority' which is directly beneath your scheduled waivers.

image.png

I seriously don't have that.

EDIT: I didn't have that because I had 3 different waiver claims for 3 different prices. Once I made a 4th one to one of the same prices as the previous 3 I got that. Thanks for the picture, using that I was able to piece it together. Thank you.

EDIT 2: And it's trash. Price determines order. Waiver 1 and 2 were locked in based on price, I made waiver 4 the same price as waiver 3 and I can only change the order of claims 3 and 4. DUMB.

Yea same for me i don't even see edit waiver priority

Read where it says "EDIT" and that will explain why you don't see that.

Need to have 2 bids for the same price basically to edit the waiver priority otherwise your priority is only determined by the cost (higher the bid = higher the priority)

It's cleverly hidden under 'Edit Waiver Priority' which is directly beneath your scheduled waivers.

image.png

EDIT: I didn't have that because I had 3 different waiver claims for 3 different prices. Once I made a 4th one to one of the same prices as the previous 3 I got that. Thanks for the picture, using that I was able to piece it together. Thank you.

EDIT 2: And it's trash. Price determines order. Waiver 1 and 2 were locked in based on price, I made waiver 4 the same price as waiver 3 and I can only change the order of claims 3 and 4. DUMB.

Am I missing something here? That's how it works. You have literally just told it that you are willing to spend more money on some players than others. How else is it supposed to determine your priority?

It literally does not matter what priority you have them in. They still go to the highest bidder. There are exactly two reasons waiver priorities are there otherwise: 1) if you and another owner bid the same high amount, it will go to the player with the higher waiver claim on the league page OR 2) You put multiple claims to drop the same person at the same price (ie: I bid $10 for James Jones and drop Brian Quick, I bid $10 for Donte Moncrief and drop Brian Quick, I bid $10 for Kendall Wright and drop Brian Quick). Int he first scenario, you help the waiver computer determine how much you would be okay if somebody else won the guy in case of a tie. In the second scenario you hedge your bets because somebody else in your league might have bid more for the guy you originally wanted in the case of several similar players.

Otherwise, as said, your bid has already told it which waiver you prioritize, and as said, it makes no difference as long as you are the highest bidder anyway.

image.png

Am I missing something here? That's how it works. You have literally just told it that you are willing to spend more money on some players than others. How else is it supposed to determine your priority?

It literally does not matter what priority you have them in. They still go to the highest bidder. There are exactly two reasons waiver priorities are there otherwise: 1) if you and another owner bid the same high amount, it will go to the player with the higher waiver claim on the league page OR 2) You put multiple claims to drop the same person at the same price (ie: I bid $10 for James Jones and drop Brian Quick, I bid $10 for Donte Moncrief and drop Brian Quick, I bid $10 for Kendall Wright and drop Brian Quick). Int he first scenario, you help the waiver computer determine how much you would be okay if somebody else won the guy in case of a tie. In the second scenario you hedge your bets because somebody else in your league might have bid more for the guy you originally wanted in the case of several similar players.

Otherwise, as said, your bid has already told it which waiver you prioritize, and as said, it makes no difference as long as you are the highest bidder anyway.

Yeah you are missing something. You're not reading the whole story. For the sake of not having whole page long quoted responses me and FFC generally cut out most of the stuff when we are quoting one another.

In the original post I said something along the lines of "I wanted to be able to edit the waiver priority with different dollar amounts". Now I know it would seem that if I am willing to pay $10 for one guy and $4 for another it would seem that the $10 is my highest priority but in my situation this was NOT the case.

I wanted a RB the most and wanted to drop the same guy in each scenario, meaning if one worked the others would stop. Priority one was to get a RB, I figured this RB (Benny Cunningham) was not very coveted so maybe $3 or $4 would be enough to get him. HOWEVER, if this failed I wanted the best available WR even though I am currently stacked at WR. The best available WR IMO was Cole Beasley and I was quite aware that $4 is NOT going to get Cole Beasley so $10 seemed like a more realistic option to me for acquiring him.

I wanted to get Cunningham FIRST while spending the appropriate amount of money I felt needed to get the job done, then IFF that failed I would go after Beasley SECOND priority. I wanted to simply drag the order around saying this is #1, this is #2, NOT have $ determine my order of things to unfold.

Hope that clears it up.

[...]NOT have $ determine my order of things to unfold.

Hope that clears it up.

Hmmm. I understand your statement from a positional scarcity point wherein you are trying to shore up different positions and feel that one dollar amount would suffice for one position and another dollar for a different...or I suppose same position if you actually liked the lower dollar amount guy better and thought you could save money while still hedging your bet. Though having cash determine your order of things to unfold is the very point of a FAAB league....

There may be merit to what you are looking for. Not sure what platform you are using, but most of the sites allow for user feedback so that features can be implemented in the future. It won't help you this year, but it may be worth submitting for future seasons.

for 2 QB, 12 team leagues...

How much are you guys going on Mallet and Manziel?

Also David Carr was outright dropped (lol), but he doesnt clear until the day after normal waivers. how much are you going on Carr? is he worth 40% in a 2QB league?

I wanted to simply drag the order around saying this is #1, this is #2, NOT have $ determine my order of things to unfold.

Hope that clears it up.

I really really wish Yahoo would let us prioritize this way. Its so stupid that the highest bid is automatically locked in as the #1 priority.

Different players have different values, and if you would prefer to land a cheaper player, and then only go after a more expensive player as a 2nd or 3rd option, you can't.

I really really wish Yahoo would let us prioritize this way. Its so stupid that the highest bid is automatically locked in as the #1 priority.

Different players have different values, and if you would prefer to land a cheaper player, and then only go after a more expensive player as a 2nd or 3rd option, you can't.

Yeah, now that I understand fully, this makes a lot of sense. It's not particularly a strategy I would want to use often--because, hey, why get the second best guy and pay more when you could just bid the same for the first guy you want--but could see it being utilized when there is clearly a guy who is not going to go for as much as the second best guy you want.

I use mostly yahoo, and I know somewhere there is the ability to request features. I bet if enough of us get on board with this, they will at least consider it.

Yeah, now that I understand fully, this makes a lot of sense. It's not particularly a strategy I would want to use often--because, hey, why get the second best guy and pay more when you could just bid the same for the first guy you want--but could see it being utilized when there is clearly a guy who is not going to go for as much as the second best guy you want.

I use mostly yahoo, and I know somewhere there is the ability to request features. I bet if enough of us get on board with this, they will at least consider it.

Well, it is not a very popular suggestion, and it appears to have been originally authored last year. Still, if enough of us chime in, maybe (?) they will look at it...

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/206158-fantasy-football/suggestions/9002020-prioritize-faab-transactions#comments

I wanted to simply drag the order around saying this is #1, this is #2, NOT have $ determine my order of things to unfold.

Hope that clears it up.

Ok so I thought about this some more, and pretty sure the situation below is why Yahoo forces the highest $$ bid as #1 priority and so on down to the lowest bid.

Lets say you are allowed to order bids any way you want. This week you obv want Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $1 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $2 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $3 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $4 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 211: Bid $211 for Donte Moncrief

see the issue?

guarantees that you get whatever player you want for the lowest possible winning amount and virtually kills the entire premise of the blind auction.

Ok so I thought about this some more, and pretty sure the situation below is why Yahoo forces the highest $$ bid as #1 priority and so on down to the lowest bid.

Lets say you are allowed to order bids any way you want. This week you obv want Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $1 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $2 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $3 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 1: Bid $4 for Donte Moncrief

Waiver 211: Bid $211 for Donte Moncrief

see the issue?

guarantees that you get whatever player you want for the lowest possible winning amount and virtually kills the entire premise of the blind auction.

Hmmmm....interesting.This issue can be fixed in part by yahoo saying that no two players involved may have more than one claim (ie, you can't try to claim exactly James Jones and drop exactly Brian Quick in multiple bids--you can't bid $10 on James Jones and drop Brian Quick while also bidding $15 for James Jones and drop Brian Quick). However, it does not keep a team from putting up multiple players for drop at different prices for the same waiver pickup (ie bid $10 on James Jones and drop Brian Quick, bid $15 on James Jones and drop Ty Montgomery).

That would be a bit difficult to get around, but I'm no programmer. There must be a way. But this would be a stroke of genius if implemented and unfixed! :D

EDIT: Yahoo could program it so that no two bids on the same player may be submitted on the same waiver period (ie, if you bid on James Jones, you only get one bid on him and it will only accept the highest bid you put in)....darn. But that shows it is possible if they wanted to do it.

That would be a good way to set it up, and would take care of the issue I outlined.

But knowing Yahoo, they would never put in the time to figure it out.

This is the platform that has been saying for years that programming a 2 week playoff option in baseball is too much work.

And that weekly start limits are too difficult to implement.

Im not holding my breath that they will program anything even remotely complex for football either.

EDIT: Yahoo could program it so that no two bids on the same player may be submitted on the same waiver period (ie, if you bid on James Jones, you only get one bid on him and it will only accept the highest bid you put in)....darn. But that shows it is possible if they wanted to do it.

Actually, this should say you only get one allowed bid AMOUNT on a player in any given waiver period. That way you can still have contingency plans if you are looking to drop more than one person, such as:

Waiver 1: Bid $4 on Benny Cunnigham and drop Brian Quick

Waiver 2: Bid $10 on James Jones and drop Brian Quick

Waiver 3: Bid $10 on James Jones and drop Marques Colston

Again, not a programmer, but one would think would be easy enough to write a check for. Then if somebody tries to bid two amounts for the same player, disallow the waiver with a disclaimer of "Current pending bid on (player X) for $(Y); if you would like to bid a different amount for this player, please edit your pending waiver claim."

But, as you mentioned, probably not a good idea to hold our breath on it...

And I have officially put too much thought into this for tonight.

First time doing FAAB... dropped 20% of my previously untouched budget on Eifert to back up Olsen... Good move in a 12-team PPR?

First time doing FAAB... dropped 20% of my previously untouched budget on Eifert to back up Olsen... Good move in a 12-team PPR?

absolutely... you destroyed that

Steal.

So in my league it's our first time using FAAB. Most of the big name FAs were all owned but the following guys went last night:

Dion Lewis: 31%

Donte Moncrief: 21%

Actually, this should say you only get one allowed bid AMOUNT on a player in any given waiver period. That way you can still have contingency plans if you are looking to drop more than one person, such as:

Waiver 1: Bid $4 on Benny Cunnigham and drop Brian Quick

Waiver 2: Bid $10 on James Jones and drop Brian Quick

Waiver 3: Bid $10 on James Jones and drop Marques Colston

Again, not a programmer, but one would think would be easy enough to write a check for. Then if somebody tries to bid two amounts for the same player, disallow the waiver with a disclaimer of "Current pending bid on (player X) for $(Y); if you would like to bid a different amount for this player, please edit your pending waiver claim."

But, as you mentioned, probably not a good idea to hold our breath on it...

And I have officially put too much thought into this for tonight.

I wouldn't be for the static amount on a given player either. For example this is how I had my waivers set up in one league where I lost Dez and needed WR help ($100 budget):

Waiver 1: Bid $26 on Terrance Williams, Dropping Tampa Bay

Waiver 2: Bid $21 on Donte Moncreif, Dropping Tampa Bay

Waiver 3: Bid $11 on Donte Moncreif, Dropping Brandon LaFell.

So basically, I wanted one WR for sure, but viewed getting two WRs as nice, but not necessary. So the system would check my TW bid and if it was the winner, it would then automatically cancel Waiver 2. Waiver 3 then becomes my bid on Donte. Basically saying if I'm going to get both players it will be for $37 total and not $47 total.

On the flip side, if my TW bid was NOT a winning bid, then I would have been willing to pay more for Donte, because I knew I wanted at least one WR out of this weeks wire. So if I'm outbid for TW, then Waiver 2 would still stay active.

This has been my first year in FAAB and it's a pretty deep league. I just blew 21% on Dunbar and now feel pretty foolish seeing Cole Beasley only went for 10%.

Is there a way to see if there were competing bids and how much they were for?