JenksDodger

Cody Bellinger - 1B LAD

129 posts in this topic

Drafted out of high school in 2013; in the 4th round. 6'4 180LBS

Surprised there hasn't been any talk on Bellinger.. He went from 6HR in his 18/19 season to 30HR in his 19/20 season.. With that many home runs he's going to whiff a lot but the power is intriguing.

With him only being 20 (just recently turned 20 in July) I could still see him add weight/strength.

.264AVG. 336OBP .874OPS w/ 30HR and 103RBI.. Also 10SB.. Kid has enough athleticism to be a solid center fielder as well..

Very interested to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

2 people like this

While he may be athletic, I don't think he can cover that kind of ground. And there's not enough data to suggest he can make the right cuts and take the right angles as a major league center fielder. I think his athleticism would play better in right since he's got a good enough arm to make the throws from right field.

I don't think he profiles to be a power hitter, per se, but a guy who has good power - maybe 25 if he became a fulltime major leaguer? The strikeouts and long swing will make it tough for him to be a regular but more of a platoon guy, I'm thinking.

He's an intriguing deep dynasty league prospect, for sure.

Emmett (Chicago): I know you like Cody Bellinger quite a bit, but what has you convinced that the power will play outside the Cal League?

Ben Badler: The Cal League does inflate his numbers, but there were legitimate, underlying reasons for Bellinger’s power surge beyond playing in a hitter-friendly environment. Some of it is just natural strength progression where he’s finally filling out that lanky frame, but a lot of it was the mechanical changes he made throughout the course of the season that I wrote about in his report. Is he going to be a 30-plus home run guy going forward? Probably not. But it’s legit plus power and a swing that’s conducive to tapping into that power in games.

Bellinger could really shoot up prospect lists in 2016, great play for deep dynasty leagues.. I got him in the 20th round of a 20 team MiLB draft to give you a reference of where he was picked.

Kieth Law ranked Bellinger at #92 and BA had him at #54.. He's making his way up the lists. Excited to see this guy in AA this year and how he hits outside of the Cal League.. Some think his power was a benefactor of the Cal League, but I think it'll play regardless of where he is.

Kid tore up spring training and like what I've read about him.

Stashed him today

Maybe it's a Dodgers bias, but Bellinger looks pretty legit too. Him and Clahoun. Not saying they are going to be first round fantasy picks or anything, but both seem like will be good hitters.

Back in action. 2-4 with 2 singles and 1K in AA debut. If he can cut down on the K's even a little bit this year he's going to fly up prospect lists.

Edited by maguirekm

Cody will be a top 100 MLB ball player for a good decade to come with his hit tool.

Like what I'm reading about this kid. Have him in a dynasty, lets hope that HR is the first of many. Not a bad way to get your first AA dinger.

Home Runs in back to back days..

Tonight 4 for 4, 2R, 2RBI, 2 doubles and a bomb. Raised the average up to .224..

Edited by JenksDodger
4 people like this

Went 2/4 with another HR today (4th of the year) while bringing his average up to .247.. I think the questions about his power translating to the Texas League have been answered in the last week and a half.

Went 2/4 with another HR today (4th of the year) while bringing his average up to .247.. I think the questions about his power translating to the Texas League have been answered in the last week and a half.

yes along with questions about whether he is healthy or not...

Went to the game tonight and Bellinger blasted #17.. He's put together a very nice season after starting off slow after his month long injury.. I've seen very few 20 year olds have this kind of power in the Texas League.. At 20 years old and in the same park, Bellinger has shown more power than Arenado did at 20yo.. With that being said, I'm not saying that he's going to be what Arenado is now.. but just for comparison what he's doing is pretty impressive. On top of that he's one of the more athletic 1B I've ever seen. 

2 people like this

Put on a show last night.. 4-4, 2HR, 6RBI..  *also hit a bomb the night before

Raised his HR total to 22 on the year.. I don't think many people are going to be asking if his power was a benefactor of the CAL league anymore..

2 people like this

Hit another bomb last night.

Well tomorrow night will be the last time that I'll get to see Bellinger in person, unless he's down for a rehab stint in the future (I'd imagine he will be in OKC next year).. I've seen hundreds of players come through Tulsa over the last 10 years and I'd have to say Bellinger is one of the few guys I'd go all in on this early in his career.. Others I viewed in the same light, being Tulo, Arenado (although I'll admit I never expected him to do what he's doing now), Urias, Dexter Fowler, etc.. 

I still have belief he will improve his batting average and be an above-average major league player for years.. Still has room to put on weight and think he can bust 30-35HRs per year in his prime. Sweet lefty stroke, with prototypical size and plus glove at 1B.. I have no doubt he's Adrian's replacement and the Dodgers 1B of the future. 

2 people like this

...where he promptly rakes two bombs.

If you look at all the players still in the minor leagues and were to a dynasty draft solely based on those players Cody is your #1.