Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrangeCrush

David Price, LHP, TAM

I think he'd need some help with injuries, because guys like McGee, Davis, and Niemann are probably all ahead of him on the call-up depth chart.

Oh man, I watched him today on MLB.TV, and he looked fantastic. Upper 90s fastball, mid-80s slider. Filthy. Of course, he was facing Jason Lane, Shelley Duncan, and Wilson Betemit. Still, they're major leaguers, it's not like he was facing non-roster invitees (except I guess Lane?). If he lights it up in the minors, I wonder how long they'll wait on him. I mean, he's 23, so it's not like he's wet behind the ears.

He pitched great today, but I don't see anything more than a Sept callup.

Oh man, I watched him today on MLB.TV, and he looked fantastic. Upper 90s fastball, mid-80s slider. Filthy. Of course, he was facing Jason Lane, Shelley Duncan, and Wilson Betemit. Still, they're major leaguers, it's not like he was facing non-roster invitees (except I guess Lane?). If he lights it up in the minors, I wonder how long they'll wait on him. I mean, he's 23, so it's not like he's wet behind the ears.

Not to Nitpick, but David Price is actually still 22. B) But I do understand what you are saying with the 'wet behind the ears' comment though. I'm sure the Rays know they have something great and know that Price isn't a preschooler. I would however still imagine that their pitching coaches would like to have a chance to work with Price for at least a year (if not two) before sending him up to the AL East.

i dont think Price comes up before Spetember unless he is tearing his way through AA & AAA and the Rays are somehow in contention. they would be better served bringing him up for a minute in September and then bringing him back either at the start of 09 or midway through 09.

Like everybody said most likely a September call-up. But if he is in the roation next year, man that will be a scary team to face. Kazmir, Shields, Garza, and then Prince/Niemann/Davis/McGee will be a force to be reckoned with.

From Rotoworld:

"The Rays are saying David Price has a strained muscle in his forearm and will miss about six weeks.

They'll hope that's all it is. That much missed time makes it less likely that Price will make his major league debut this year, but it's still possible we'll see him in September. He'll pitch for Single-A Vero Beach once healthy."

This is 2 arm problems JUST in spring training...is anyone else worried?

Aside from the injury news I gotta be honest with ya..........Price wasnt coming up this season if he pitched 4 No-Hitters and 3 Perfect Games. The Rays are businessmen.

Aside from the injury news I gotta be honest with ya..........Price wasnt coming up this season if he pitched 4 No-Hitters and 3 Perfect Games. The Rays are businessmen.

he likely will get a September call-up. anything soonoer than that would be a surprise unless he is tearing up the minors and the Rays are somehow right in the thick of the playoffs. unlikely for any scenario.

Glad I didn't take him in my dynasty draft....could be a re-occuring thing

for a while, i thought i was gonna regret putting him at # 5 on my top 5....

all about cueto, parra and gio in 08....

From Rotoworld:

"The Rays are saying David Price has a strained muscle in his forearm and will miss about six weeks.

They'll hope that's all it is. That much missed time makes it less likely that Price will make his major league debut this year, but it's still possible we'll see him in September. He'll pitch for Single-A Vero Beach once healthy."

This is 2 arm problems JUST in spring training...is anyone else worried?

None of this is (that) big deal as long as it's muscular because they implies a conditioning thing which is relatively easy to fix.

If it's tendons and ligaments, then it's a bigger deal.

Well his innings pitched levels should raise a red flag in itself. 69 innings freshman year, then injuries knock him back to 51 innings for his second year. However, from that 51, he jumps all the way 133 last year, an increase of basically 80 innings. Tom Verducci did some study supported by Wil Carrol of BP, that an increase of more than 30IP from year to year on untrained arms cane lead to injury problems. So thats a cause of concern to start.

Second, he was throwing pretty hard at the start of spring, maybe he doesn't know how to build up his arm strength, maybe that was the problem. Injuries might be a concern, but the talent is undeniable to the point that you kinda have to take the risk.

Price is undeniably a *huge* talent, but the real question comes to those that haven't had their minors draft yet. I would have likely put him 1 or 2 (Wieters is *so* attractive as a C), but the *unanswered* question becomes the injury risk.

It's so tricky with forearm injuries. Sometimes as Chris alluded to, it's just conditioning, other times it's the first sign of elbow trouble. I wish I knew - I have the #3 pick in my AL-only draft, and if he falls to me, I don't know that I can take him with all the other choices I'll have. Then again, I also have the #7 pick, so it's *entirely* conceivable he'll fall that far - after Weiters, Moustakas, Porcello, Carlos Gonzalez, high ceiling guys like Austin Jackson, Desmond Jennings, Lars Anderson & Carlos Triunfel are likely to be seen as equally attractive in our league format - the further away you pick 'em from their true rookie season (less than 130 AB's, they stay as rookies), the cheaper their keeper salary starts (so a 2010 rookie or beyond drafted *this year* starts @ $1, as opposed to a 2008 rookie drafted this year starts out @ $10). At #7, I'd be getting a discount on value for sure, so I'd be willing to take the risk. Don't know that I could do that with our league format at #1, #2 or #3, though.

He could be awesome....or he could be the next Prior, or worse yet, Brien Taylor.

They should take all the time they need to avoid ruining this kids career. Keep him healthy and in the minors...This kid might be something special hopefully he doesn't turn hype bust Prior on us.

They should take all the time they need to avoid ruining this kids career. Keep him healthy and in the minors...This kid might be something special hopefully he doesn't turn hype bust Prior on us.

Problem is a lot of times it's too late. Top college pitchers historically get hurt in the bigs. Prior is a perfect example, as is Ben McDonald, Paul Wilson, Jason Isringhausen, and Bill Pulsipher. What about the three studs from Rice's championship team. Jeff Neimann, Wade Townsend, and Phillip Humber. All have had arm problems.

In college if you are a stud you have no pitch count, throw deep into games and the coach only cares about winning the CWS and not your career. What kid is going to pull himself out of a game during the NCAA tournament. I even remember Alan Benes (Andy Benes brother) throwing 14 or 15 innings in a CWS game. Shocker that he didn't have a a solid pro career even though he was a first round talent.

All I have to say is that 6 weeks is a LOOOONG time for a muscle strain. The first report was elbow stiffness. I don't like the smell of this at all.

The difference is that from what i've seen, his mechanics actually look excellent. Maybe Chris O'leary, or another pitching doctor has seen any iffy pictures, but i havent.

Prior's mechanics are some of the worst in the league.

He's fine. With Price it is not an issue of mechanics or muscle/ligament problems. He is rusty plain and simple. The guy hasn't pitched in a long time. He's bound to battle some soreness. The six weeks that he'll have to wait before throwing in a game isn't six weeks of healing, it's six weeks of recovery. There's a difference. About a month of that time will be spent building up his arm strength to get back to where he was before the layoff. Price has beautiful mechanics and should be fine.

Having said that, you never can be sure with professional athletes, especially with pitchers. But there shouldn't be any red flags with Price.

I have Price in my keeper league. I'm not worried....yet.

Good to see him finally back on a mound, even if it was just an extended ST game. FWIW, 3 innings, 2 opposite field singles, 1 run, 0 BB, 4 Ks.

Price is set to pitch 1 more game in the Ray's extended ST camp....against the Yankees' extended ST camp, which will have A-Rod in the lineup on Saturday.

Then apparently, he's off to High-A ball in Vero Beach.

Given how cautious the Rays were with Kazmir, it's very encouraging news, and I suspect he'll be climbing the ranks of top SP's very soon.