Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrangeCrush

David Price, LHP, TAM

IMO, it makes more sense for Price to join the rotation for a handful of starts before the end of the season...He has been groomed as a starting pitcher and moving him to the pen when he gets the call would be a mistake...Look what happened with Joba and Scherzer...Both pitchers flip flopped from the pen to the rotation and suffered injuries...A pitcher the caliber of Price is used to pitching every 5th day, not two or three times over the course of a 3 or 4 day period...Send Jackson the pen, let Price do his thing when he is ready and don't look back...

the IP likely weigh heavily into the decision - he's up to 100 currently......i expect the rays want him between 120-140 on the season and that magic number will dictate whether he gets the call as a reliever or starter (or at all)

regardless, he needs to put up a couple quality starts in AAA.........given the last two outings it's possible he's tiring and could need to be shutdown

High School: Nearly 300 strikeouts (so 200-250 innings)

Freshman: 69.1 innings

Sophomore: 110.1 innings

Junior: 133.1 innings

He seemed to be handled good throughout his collegiate career, following the ~30 inning increase from year to year. This year, it looks like he should end around 150-160, so really, there shouldn't be any innings restrictions.

And yet another lackluster performance last night in AAA 4 IP 6H 2ER 2BB 3K's 88 pitches (53 for K). His AAA performance is not going well at all. Doesn't seem he will be much help to the rays this year.

Had a friend who lives in Indy see the game last week - told me Price had no life on his pitches - FB was off a few MPH than advertised, and the slider had *no bite whatsoever*. Will Carroll at BP mentioned the same, although that was his first look, so he didn't comment on the reasons, just that his stuff wasn't electric at all.

Looking at his IP, I believe he's probably hitting a dead arm phase, but not having seen his last 3 starts, I'm only guessing here. Bad timing, for sure, but I'll take that explanation over a real injury concern.

Still believe he'll be up before Sept. 1, but it's likely as a pen arm, a la Joba 2007 (which is my original stance, but if the above is true, then it's certainly the only option that makes sense for the Rays that involved using him).

I went to his game on Sat night and he look fatigued. There wasn't the usual movement on his pitches and he was being hit hard (two of his outs would have been HRs had the fences in center not been at 390 feet), and it only got worse as the game went on. I think he should be called up but definitely in a relief role.

Price's stuff was electric his first AAA start, he just got blooped to death. Since then, though, his slider definitely hasn't had its usual bite on it and his command has been way off. Could for sure be a dead arm, or he's just had some games where his command of his pitches has been off.

His fastball readings have been up and down. He's touched as high as 97 so far, but he's also been in the 89-91 MPH range at times (although that pitch seems to be more of a cutter as it has moved down and in to lefties a lot).

His stuff is really, really good, so I'm not sure what the problem has been. Wade Davis has been a lot better in AAA than he's been in AA, yet Price hasn't even been able to make it past 5 innings in his three starts thus far. Maybe he'll put it all together Thursday.

Price's stuff was electric his first AAA start, he just got blooped to death. Since then, though, his slider definitely hasn't had its usual bite on it and his command has been way off. Could for sure be a dead arm, or he's just had some games where his command of his pitches has been off.

His fastball readings have been up and down. He's touched as high as 97 so far, but he's also been in the 89-91 MPH range at times (although that pitch seems to be more of a cutter as it has moved down and in to lefties a lot).

His stuff is really, really good, so I'm not sure what the problem has been. Wade Davis has been a lot better in AAA than he's been in AA, yet Price hasn't even been able to make it past 5 innings in his three starts thus far. Maybe he'll put it all together Thursday.

Or Not. Needed 90 pitches to get through 5 innings. 4 Hits 2 runs 3 Walks 5 K's

Well he doesn't have to be called up before September 1 I believe to make the playoff roster. I believe K-Rod came up only a few games before the playoffs back in '01, and he made it to the playoff roster, because of an injury clause, which states that if someone on the 25 man roster get injured, someone from the 40 man roster can replace him or something like that. I don't know if they changed the rule after K-Rod though.

Per Rotoworld Baseball Daily Dose (Drew Silva):

It appears the Rays are getting close to calling up their prized pitching prospect, David Price. He is currently at Triple-A Durham. The Vanderbilt product has torn through the minor leagues this season with impressive numbers at every stop. The St. Petersburg Times suggested Tuesday that the Rays will wait until the Durham Bulls are done with their postseason run before making the move. That means Price could make his major league debut, likely out of the bullpen, by next weekend. Get excited, Tampa… or St. Petersburg.

On the topic, Price gave up four runs last night, which was the most he's given up in any minor league game all season, but it was also far and away his most impressive start in AAA. He gave up two hard hit balls all night (the HR by Broussard and double by Duncan), but for the most part was dinked to death. His control was terrific (finally) and he struck out 9 in only six innings. He touched 97 MPH on the gun, and sat mid-90s nearly the entire night, while his slider was biting all over the place (and averaging around 87 MPH).

Definitely his best start at this level.

Very likely the last call-up of the year worth anything in keeper leagues. However unless your #1 WP is asleep at the wheel, or you have the top WP, you're out of luck.

He's in the Yahoo player database. Not sure what your league's waiver rules are, but keeper/dynasty players take note.

Anyone care to project next years #'s for Mr. Price ?

A sub par outing last night.

4 IP 4 ER 6 H 5 BB

He's been worse than Matt Wieter so far.

Wieters has been injuried but he has bounced back pretty nicely to a .290 AVG and .383 OBP. Both of them will be all right thought.

Wieters has been injuried but he has bounced back pretty nicely to a .290 AVG and .383 OBP. Both of them will be all right thought.

True, I think he only has 1 HR so far though while Reimold has 8 with a .390 AVG. They both play for the same team.

CBS:

News: David Price could be one fine start Friday night away from returning to the major leagues. RHP Jeff Niemann didn't allow a run in the first three innings Thursday, but he was pulled in the fourth as manager Joe Maddon was not happy with his lack of command. "If I had thought Jeff was more sharp with his command, I probably would have acted differently," Maddon said.

Analysis: Price is someone to watch closely Friday night in Triple-A for his start. We said in spring training when he was sent down, he would probably pitch 25 innings in the minors before being recalled. At 20 2/3 innings, Friday night's start will get him over that. It is interesting the Rays have grown disgusted with Niemann in their rotation, not trusting him to get through four innings. A contender cannot justify a starter taxing their bullpen every five days like that. Price has had abbreviated outings in Triple-A, but it likely more a function of his pitch counts than his actual command. Take the flier on Price now, if you can.

5 no hit innings today, 9 K's & 2 BBs (82 pitches).

Now that Price has that extra year before free agency (counting last year's small amount and the max he could earn this year), I think there's a good chance he gets called up soon. His innings will be managed and the Rays could use him. Only issue is how to make room for him on the roster. Does Kazmir hit the DL?