Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

battle2heaven

Yusniel Diaz - OF LAD

I thought he deserves a thread.

Dodgers signed him to a 15.5 mil bonus a couple of weeks ago.

He has a shot to be special.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=int

MLB.com has him as #3, jumping Eddy Julio Martinez.

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 55 | Run: 70 | Arm: 60 | Field: 60

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound Diaz was the favorite to win the award for the top rookie in Cuba's Serie Nacional, the island's top league, until he defected in April before it was announced.

During his first season for the Havana Industriales, Diaz sported a .348 batting average with an on-base percentage of .448 and a slugging percentage of .440. Diaz hit 13 doubles and three triples in 65 games for Havana. He also struck out 33 times while walking 36.

Diaz, who is sometimes referred to as Yusnier, showed athleticism along with some hitting and power potential in an open showcase for all Major League teams in early August in the Dominican Republic. He ran a 6.5-second 60-yard dash and also impressed scouts with his body projection. Evaluators also liked Diaz's bat speed, and they believe he will improve on his overall hitting mechanics once he sees professional pitching on a daily basis. He has shown the ability to play center field.

Some video

His 2016 season will be his age 19 season. Reports that once he left Cuba he's gotten stronger, and bigger. So hopefully with his great hand eye coordination the power can start to develop.

He'll probably start 2016 in A ball somewhere; with a chance to reach AA if he adjusts quickly. Just someone to keep tabs on that could explode next year.

additional BA reading

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/cuban-prospect-yusnier-diaz-leaves-cuba/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/cuban-outfielder-yusniel-diaz-free-sign/

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/dodgers-agree-sign-cuban-outfielder-yusniel-diaz/

#77 on Klaw top 100, which seems to be as high as I have seen him.

Klaw also saw him yesterday and the report (insider) was quite glowing. Big time bat speed and super advanced feel for the strike zone. If power comes, as some suggest, he will shoot up lists very quickly.

To be honest I'm not all that impressed by his swing in the video above. His hands are a little out in front of his hips in batting practice. His front side is very close to collapsing again in BP. He has a lot of unnecessary hand movement before his swing. I could see him struggling against American secondary stuff. But if the talent is there the talent is there. Seeing 5 swings off a youtube video doesn't mean much.

To be honest I'm not all that impressed by his swing in the video above. His hands are a little out in front of his hips in batting practice. His front side is very close to collapsing again in BP. He has a lot of unnecessary hand movement before his swing. I could see him struggling against American secondary stuff. But if the talent is there the talent is there. Seeing 5 swings off a youtube video doesn't mean much.

The prepitch hand movement doesn't bother me. The collapsing front knee does. Fast hands though.

Wonder how coachable he is because there's a lot of raw talent there.

Klaw stated in his last chat that his wrist speed was 'electric'

Oh now he's headed to DL with shoulder issues...

I think this guy is going to be a stud, Keith Law see's AJ Pollack potential in him

If this kid is somehow available in your dynasty league you better go out and get him now.. Another multi-hit game last night raised his average to .313 on the year.. Which is very impressive for a 19 year old in A+ ball. Plate approach has looked better than expected (what I expected).. with a 10/20 BB/K ratio. 3HR and 3SB on the year as well, which isn't too bad considering he's only played 22 games.. he's going to jump into the majority of top 100 lists, when they start releasing middle of the year lists.

Yep, this kid is awfully exciting! Take away his first couple weeks while he was adjusting to the game and his stats pop even more. The reports back up what he is doing too. Huge riser up lists.

Cooled a bit lately but still has a promising future. Would be nice if he could reach AA by years end.

Nice scouting report from 20-80 baseball's Dave Defrietas

http://2080baseball.com/reports/yusniel-diaz/

Future tools: 60 hit, 50 power, 60 run, 50 defense, 50 arm

Plus athlete who projects to have a plus hit tool and average power to go with solid-average defense at a corner-outfield spot. Very raw right now, but the ingredients are there; lightning-quick hands. His ability to recognize spin and handle balls on outer half suggest approach will develop. Tends to get over aggressive on fastball's on inner half, and gets outside himself; shows ability to shorten up with two strikes and drive the ball to opposite field. See power coming as the body matures. Plus runner whose speed plays better when underway; does not have natural base-stealing instincts, but should be an average threat. Plays deep in outfield, raw and will take bad angles in gap, but will improve as he matures. Overall, I like the tools; he is young for the level and holding his own. Suffering from a sore shoulder from early May, been DH'ing as a result. Compares to Starling Marte (PIT) at major league level.