Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jellyman

Candidates for the Tuffy Rhodes Award

8 posts in this topic

So, some of us have not yet had auctions or drafts. My NL-only keeper league has its auction on Thursday, for example. And any player we buy we get the stats retroactive to the beginning of the season.

When the above happens, you can get a syndrome that we affectionately call the Tuffy Rhodes Syndrome. The Tuffy Rhodes Syndrome is when one or more owners in a league (usually takes at least 2, in order to keep the bid moving upwards) bid a player WAY above any reasonable value SOLELY because of his 1st game, or first few games stats - pro-rating, or at least interpolating, that performance to the rest of the season.

For those who do not recall, Tuffy Rhodes was a bit player who played for the Cubbies in 1993 and 1994. He amassed a grand total of 590 major league AB and 13 HR's. On opening day of 1994 eh hit 3 HR's ... in one game. In many fantasy leagues who had not yet had their auctions (and most leagues back then were auction leagues) prior to the start of the season, Tuffy Rhodes ended up going for more than $10. In fact, in my league I think he went for $14, or even more. After opening day (3 HR and 6 RBI, he accumulated a total of 5 HR and 13 RBI ... THE REST OF THE SEASON ... in about 260 AB.

So, based on the 1st few games of the season, who is going to be ther Tuffy Rhodes of 2008? As of this post, there has been just 1 day of major league play other than Oakland and Boston. So feel free to add to this post aftyer a couple of days.

My early candidate is Odalis Perez, who had a fantastic 1st start. Xavier Nady may be another good choice - though unless he gets hurt he is going to be a FAR more productive player in 2008 than Tuffy Rhodes ever was ... but 2 HR's to start the season could easily inflate his perceived value for auctions this week.

Let's see if any other candidates emerge.

Xavier Nady for sure... maybe any Pirates player for that matter, such as Nate McClouth.

Though Carlos Gomez was exciting to watch and certainly is worth the pickup for speed alone, I feel like he won't produce as much as many are expecting.

Edit: I'll add Kosuke Fukudome to that list. He certainly is off to a great start, and his swing and overall play did look very good, but I think his opening day did inflate his value quite a bit. Still worth drafting, but not sure if he'll go at face value. Hope he proves me wrong, though!

I'm gonna add that Matthew Berry just said Xavier Nady is capable of 30+ HR's this year on ESPN....ugh.

For those who do not recall, Tuffy Rhodes was a bit player who played for the Cubbies in 1993 and 1994. He amassed a grand total of 590 major league AB and 13 HR's. On opening day of 1994 eh hit 3 HR's ... in one game. In many fantasy leagues who had not yet had their auctions (and most leagues back then were auction leagues) prior to the start of the season, Tuffy Rhodes ended up going for more than $10. In fact, in my league I think he went for $14, or even more. After opening day (3 HR and 6 RBI, he accumulated a total of 5 HR and 13 RBI ... THE REST OF THE SEASON ... in about 260 AB.

So, based on the 1st few games of the season, who is going to be ther Tuffy Rhodes of 2008? As of this post, there has been just 1 day of major league play other than Oakland and Boston. So feel free to add to this post aftyer a couple of days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he hit them off of Doc Gooden?

My choice will be David Riske.....he was picked up in both of my leagues within a couple of hours after he picked up the save yesterday.

Considering what a flop he was when the Tribe turned to him a couple of years ago, I'd be very surprised if you need two hands to count the rest of the saves he'll get this year - and yes, I'm aware of his competition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he hit them off of Doc Gooden?

You are correct! All 3 off Doc who got the win in a 12-8 game. You can find the box at retrosheet.org

berry actually made that claim about nady before the season started....

i have done some research and see that the translation for Fukudome into english is "Tuffy Rhodes"....

francisco gutierrez would be another candidate though...

I'm gonna add that Matthew Berry just said Xavier Nady is capable of 30+ HR's this year on ESPN....ugh.

Nady always has good Aprils. If picked up, he'll be dropped by May.