Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Whom

Who's the best OF prospect?

What say you?

I hear he may just be a DH

Don't count on it. If anything, he'd move to 1B. The two minor league guys within the Blue Jays organization I've heard from say he is a born leader and they want him on the field. His defense isn't that bad in the OF and he's not as slow as his stocky body would lead you to believe. He might start out in the majors DH'ing just for the fact that they have a solid OF in front of him and a close-to-retirement Frank Thomas at DH, but I'm fairly certain he'll stick at LF sooner than later.

you ready for the shocker?

Travis Snider.

Never heard of him. I think he is on the Jays though. Tell me more

Stocky build; many difference sources list different heights and weights. TheBaseballCube has him at 5''11 and 230 pounds.

Bats left , throws left, and was picked 14th overall by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 2006 draft out of High School.

He's a brute offensivley, with a pretty strong arm. His defence is average at best, and his speed is minimal. Though he did hit for the cycle last year...And 2 seperate prospect lists rank him 7th; Keith Law's (who is always negative against the Jays), and Mike Goldstein (pretty sure that's his name, but if not, it's from Baseball Prospectus).

So what does that equate to? Fantasy gold. If a guy with not so good defence and little speed can be pretty much a top 10 prospect, then his bat must be superb.

Ranked 11th by BaseballAmerica, though everyone ahead of him save Kershaw (who by now, looks like he should be up this year), was given an ETA of 2008.

And his SLG last year of over .500? Not even Justin Upton could do that in that specific league (Midwest).

My thoughts on his arrival are: by mid-2009, he could be platooning with Frank Thomas at DH (who should be here for 2009 if he gets 300 or so PA), with maybe a bit of time in LF with Adam Lind.

And yes, he is on the Jays.

Here's a good little article , comparing his season right after draft to every other hitter drafted from 1995 to 2006.

http://www.battersbox.ca/article.php?story=20060821120723243

And provided none of the guys with raw talent/skills have a massive developement (guys like Villalona come to mind), he could be the #1 prospect headed into 2009.

So he is the next Travis Hafner

Except he might (and should) have a career in the outfield.