Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

The Beer Thread

Wanted to start a thread on the best beers you had. I love beer. There are all kinds of tastes out there and I love that some are purveyors of the finest hoppy ales, some of the finest German beers, some the finest cheap swill.

I'll kick it off:

My favorite beer is still Pliny the Elder, which has gone from a relative unknown about 10 years back to one of the most sought after brews in beerdom. The beauty of Pliny is its total balance of amazing hop mix, the perfect malt balance to highlight the hops and the alcohol at just the right level to not overpower but give the right kick.

My favorite go-to get'er done beer here in Texas is Real Ale's Devil's Backbone, a tripel-style booze bomb that will sneak high octane into a estery Belgian flavor that might not be the best tripel I've had but is definitely the most efficient for the wallet as you can pick a six pack of this up for around $8-10.

What are yours?

Hands down...St. Pauli's outta Germany.Crisp,refreshing and love the hooters on the beer wench!Been drink'n it forever and still with all the micros I always go back to my girl. ;)

I've never had Pliny since it's not distributed in MI.

My beer fridge always has Founders All Day IPA cans and Bells Two Hearted bottles. All Day 15 packs are 13.99 on sale frequently.

Shorts brewery here in MI releases at least one new beer each month so I try at least one bottle each time. My favorite style is imperial IPA so I'll pick up fresh ones of whatever. All the good ones will be coming out soon, can't wait.

Great thread idea!

I live in Philly so I'm local to Dogfish Head, Victory, Troegs, Du Claw..it goes on.

Troegs Nugget Necter is my all time favorite. Amber imperial IPA- oh man.

I was out in Michigan for the electric forest festival and they had a bunch of Bells on tap and I fell in love with Oberon. Man that's good stuff.

I had Devils Backbone at a dive bar in Virgina over the summer, that was some good stuff too!

Longboard from Hawaii (the island lager has a nice orange taste and the big wave has a pineapple taste) for me is my favorite along with Widmer Hefeweizen a def 1B.

I'm not a beer drinker but a friend is but is going to a gluten free diet. Can anyone recommend tasty gluten free beers?

I'm not a beer drinker but a friend is but is going to a gluten free diet. Can anyone recommend tasty gluten free beers?

I've been gluten free almost a year now. Lack of good beer is easily the worst part. Glutenberg makes the best of the ones readily available around me(MA).

I drink 95 percent Cider. Lots of good ones of those.

I'm not much of a cider drinker but I was at a family gathering with some gluten free folks and they had that Strong Bow stuff...and it was actually pretty good.

I love Pliny the Elder as well as the Younger. Also, Goose Island gets a little bit of crap from the craft beer community mostly from the hardcore craft beer fans but I love their Barrell-aged stout series. The Bourbon-aged barrel stout is one of my favorites.

I've been gluten free almost a year now. Lack of good beer is easily the worst part. Glutenberg makes the best of the ones readily available around me(MA).

I drink 95 percent Cider. Lots of good ones of those.

A few breweries are coming out with reduced gluten beers. Stone Delicious IPA and Shorts Alien Einstein are a couple. I'm sure there's more.

I'm mindful of gluten as I rarely eat bread (pizza the exception) or pasta. Craft beer is my weakness.

I'm allergic to hops actually, had a few beers before that used dandelion instead for bittering. They were awful lol, anyone know of any others? Been so long I forgot what beer tastes like now, 15yrs at least.

We need a scotch thread haha

Omission makes pretty good gluten-free beers. They have an IPA, a lager and a pale ale. I've had each and I enjoyed them.

As for favorite beers in general, I'm an Ale guy, and prefer IPA's and Reds. I do like dark beers, too, and enjoy a good Russian imperial stout every now and then.

Like Tyler, I'm in Philly, and we have some good breweries around here. Victory and Yards are the best known, but be sure to check out Neshaminy Creek if you can. They're still relatively small, but are starting to expand their reach toward New York and the Midwest. They do some really good DIPA's such as The Shape of Hops To Come and Blitzkrieg Hops.

Don't want to make this a Philly beer thread, but local guys need to check out the Conshohocken Brewery.

They make one of the best IPA's I've had in a while.

t - great call on Neshaminy Creek!

I must've been drunk when I created this thread as I totally forgot I had started it. :lol:

New Texas IPA getting some steam, Lone Pint's Yellow Rose. I've yet to have it yet as it's recently grabbed cult status 'round these parts but hope to in the near term. The other cult favorite in Austin is Jester King but they brew exclusively sours, so if you don't like sours, you won't like them. That said, some of the best sours in the nation.

Was recently in NorCal for work and got the opportunity to get some of Faction's stuff - GREAT hophead fodder. It's insane - I've been away from CA for a little under four years and the brew scene has exploded up there.