Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coach George

Worst Minor League System?

Can anyone possibly be worse than the Angels' system? Their farm is historically bad this year. Prospect 360 just released a top 10 list for their system and it's pretty ridiculous. Joe Gatto is their top prospect? Really? That guy isn't a top 300 prospect overall!

http://prospect361.com/archives/2015-2/Los-Angeles-Angels/

They traded Sean Newcomb in the Simmons deal...and he was their lone desirable prospect.

Chris Ellis was somewhat desirable too. He might be a top 200 guy. He was also dealt with Newcomb to the Braves so the halos don't have him either.

I can't think of any team whose farm system is close to the Angles in futility.

The last everyday player that the Padres drafted and developed who became an all star for the Pads was Tony Gwynn, he was drafted in 1981. That is 35 years ago. 35 years of not being able to draft and develop an all star? I dont care what the system rankings are, until you end that drought, you are the worst.

The last everyday player that the Padres drafted and developed who became an all star for the Pads was Tony Gwynn, he was drafted in 1981. That is 35 years ago. 35 years of not being able to draft and develop an all star? I dont care what the system rankings are, until you end that drought, you are the worst.

Jake Peavy?

Jake Peavy?

He said every day player as in offensive player. But yeah, Jake Peavy was drafted and developed by the Padres and made the All Star game but the original poster was referring to strictly offensive players.

While I think the Angels system is really awful, the Detroit Tigers system is pretty lousy too.

I like Michael Fulmer and Derek Hill is pretty decent, but it's tumbleweeds after that.

They basically have two guys that are rosterable in the deepest of dynasty leagues.

That is two more than the Angels have.

While I think the Angels system is really awful, the Detroit Tigers system is pretty lousy too.

I like Michael Fulmer and Derek Hill is pretty decent, but it's tumbleweeds after that.

They basically have two guys that are rosterable in the deepest of dynasty leagues.

Beau Burrows is another one to watch in that system. 1st round pick last year and had some success in his short time in the GCL.

The Angels are definitely the worst.. That system is downright terrible and needs a major revamp..

The Marlins are another team that rates up to the top in bad systems.. Tyler Kolek is their top prospect and he's been really bad.

I think Ziomek is vastly underrated. Tigers need to speed up his schedule.

they actually have some interesting sleepers in the lower minors. Angles barely even have those guys. Let alone legit first division prospects like Hill, Fulmer..

Marlins are similar..but marlins have even more in terms of interesting low minors sleepers..

Mariners have a heck of a track record of developing talent currently. Not sure what their current state of affairs is really, but I know Zunino and Ackley were top 5 picks and turned in to diddly nothing. There are a lot of other first rounder types that have floundered as well in the M's system.

They've done well with pitching, but I can't recall the last offensive player that the Mariners have developed (And kept - ahem Adam Jones) that has produced anything of significance at the MLB level. I might have to go back to AROD and Griffey.

Based on last season DJ Peterson is looking like another name that might burn up in the M's system.

I think Ziomek is vastly underrated. Tigers need to speed up his schedule.

Agreed. Wynton Bernard is another guy that no one really knows about but has some nice potential. I can see him becoming Rajai Davis 2.0

Jake Peavy?

Again everyday position player, I think if you go pitchers you have Peavy drafted in 1999 and Andy Benes drafted in the mid 80's. Either way, still pathetic.

Jake Peavy?

Again everyday position player, I think if you go pitchers you have Peavy drafted in 1999 and Andy Benes drafted in the mid 80's. Either way, still pathetic.

Id gather if you looked at all 30 teams. You would see a similar weakness with a good handful of other teams. I.E. no hitters, or hitters and no real pitching..

Was just reading over a recent BA chat and came across the following that I thought applied to this thread:

HoustonBill (Houston): Even after their trades in the past year, the Astros have a Top 10 farm system. The Angels have one of the worst. Just curious - if the Astros #11 thru #20 prospects were in the Angel organization, how many would you rank in the Angels Top 10?

J.J. Cooper: Eight to nine of them. The Angels system is very, very thin.

So according to Cooper, eight to nine of the Astros current 11-20 prospects would be in the Angels Top 10. That speaks a ton of volume IMO to how poor the Angels system currently is. Just thought it was interesting and was related to the discussion you guys had going here.

Was just reading over a recent BA chat and came across the following that I thought applied to this thread:

HoustonBill (Houston): Even after their trades in the past year, the Astros have a Top 10 farm system. The Angels have one of the worst. Just curious - if the Astros #11 thru #20 prospects were in the Angel organization, how many would you rank in the Angels Top 10?

So according to Cooper, eight to nine of the Astros current 11-20 prospects would be in the Angels Top 10. That speaks a ton of volume IMO to how poor the Angels system currently is. Just thought it was interesting and was related to the discussion you guys had going here.

It is and I agree the Angels are the worse. But just to add to this theme, 2 out of the 3 top Padres prospects came over from the Red Sox in the Kimbrell deal. (Manuel Margot ranked #1 and Javy Guerra ranked #3). When some of these teams deplete their farm system they really deplete their farm system.

It is and I agree the Angels are the worse. But just to add to this theme, 2 out of the 3 top Padres prospects came over from the Red Sox in the Kimbrell deal. (Manuel Margot ranked #1 and Javy Guerra ranked #3). When some of these teams deplete their farm system they really deplete their farm system.

Speaking of depleting a farm system the Padres, AJ Preller in particular, really know how to do it better than anyone. In 2014 when they went trade happy they dealt 10-12 guys in their top 20. Including Trea Turner and Joe Ross in the Wil Myers deal, man did the Nationals really win that trade. The only two major guys they kept were Hunter Renfroe, who is interesting, and Matt Wisler, defense first catcher.

You can't knock the Padres for using prospects to trade for JUp, Kemp, Myers, Kimbrel, BJUP. While not a huge success they at least made their season interesting.

Yeah, its the Angels by a large margin.

Just did a fantasy 280 player rookie draft and the Angels consensus top prospect Taylor Ward went in the mid 200s.

The cupboard is bare in Anaheim.

I say the Reds. They just do not know what they are doing at any level. Somewhere along the line the players turn to excrement

I say the Reds. They just do not know what they are doing at any level. Somewhere along the line the players turn to excrement

But they have a few good players in their system. The Angels have nada.

Yeah, its the Angels by a large margin.

Just did a fantasy 280 player rookie draft and the Angels consensus top prospect Taylor Ward went in the mid 200s.

The cupboard is bare in Anaheim.

I did a 240 minor league draft.

0 Angels

Brandon Sanger is IMO a solid sleeper prospect in points leagues. Roto, not worth as much w/o the standout power/speed. A very solid polished pure hitter with around average raw power.

Jahami Jones is also a real deep long term sleeper...but he's way to far away to be of note right now.

So yeah..basically some guys they drafted this year (Sanger, Ward, Jones) and gatto.. Really is as bare as i've seen a farm..