Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoorsFieldRox

Josh Hader - SP MIL

Pretty efficient outing as well, throwing 87 pitches through 6IP..

His season stats are ridiculous!

1.04ERA, 34.2IP, 24h, 4er, 46k, .198 avg against, 1.04whip

He's got to be soaring up the prospect rankings. Top 25 maybe?

Top 25 may be a little steep.. I could see 40-50 for sure though.. He didn't show up on quite a few top 100 lists this year.. but surely those publications should start taking notice and put this guy in there.

He's sure making a case to shed that "relief pitcher" label that's been following him around.

BA had Sean Newcomb ranked 24, just for comparisons. Granted it's early in the season. I think Hader (who's often not even ranked), Honeywell, and Garrett have made a case for a substantial jump in rankings in the early going here.

BA had Sean Newcomb ranked 24, just for comparisons. Granted it's early in the season. I think Hader (who's often not even ranked), Honeywell, and Garrett have made a case for a substantial jump in rankings in the early going here.

There's no doubt about that.. TBH, I'd take Hader over all of those guys, outside of maybe Garrett.. Hader/Garrett are both big time pitchers making a run towards the top part of the lists.

Note: Pretty amazing stat I heard on the MiLB.com podcast.. Hader hasn't allowed a hit to a left handed batter yet this year.. Has only walked one..

Wow..

Note: Pretty amazing stat I heard on the MiLB.com podcast.. Hader hasn't allowed a hit to a left handed batter yet this year.. Has only walked one..

Wow..

8 2/3IP 1H 0R 1BB 12K against lefties so far.

Wow..

8 2/3IP 1H 0R 1BB 12K against lefties so far.

You are right Tryptamine.. Not sure why he was saying that on the podcast yesterday then lol.. Anyways, still quite an amazing stat line.

Again. And again.

What are we dealing with here?

Sounds like he's ready for AAA at least

That's the thing that gets me. His first AA start was 2014! He spent all year there last year. Did really well! Ticked up in the AFL. He's ready for the next step for sure.

Was coming to here to say this and you already pointed it out. What, are they going to move him to AAA at the end of year, then bring him to the bigs in 2 years? The timeline right now is ridiculously slow. Looking at his timeline you'd think he'd at least be in AAA facing better competition and teasing for a cup of coffee at the end of the year.

He isn't trying to get into the Mets rotation, which makes the dragging of the feet more bizarre.

What exactly is the hurry for the brewers? Why on earth start his service time clock now when they are clearly rebuilding?? There is nothing wrong with letting him dominate AA for another month or more. I think they may be trying to avoid sending him to Colo Springs as it is (obv) a crazy good hitting environment. But maybe they will call for him anyways, as there are whispers they have had it with Wily Peralta...?

You start off saying why bring him up, then say at the end he might be called up.

I don't know why they would avoid AAA. He has been in AA and dominated, isn't the whole point to be challenged? Throw him up in AAA ball even if he is in a hitters park, that should keep him sharp and would be taken into account as far as his numbers. Not sure what he has to prove them. I know some guys jump right from AA, but they might as well throw him a bone and move him up.

I stated I would not bring him up and start his clock if I were running the org. They don't have many options running well in AAA at the moment so they may just call him, they have considered it according to local reports.

I don't necessarily have an issue with sending him to Colo Springs but the team is not happy with being there and may have pitching prospects avoid it if possible. Similar to how the stros skip guys from low A to AA to avoid Lancaster. It does no good to get your prize prospect beat to hell in a crazy hitting environment.

ohhh gotcha! I didn't realize the first part was what you were saying personally vs what the organization/papers were saying. That's why I was confused.

Hader getting called up would be interesting. Can't they tease for a bit without messing with his long term status? I am not well versed in how all that works.

No worries! It was worded poorly-

Yea they could call him with the express designs on it being a spot start type situation, but then if he goes out and looks good it makes it tougher to send him back down--esp with the mostly hot garbage they trot out. His stuff is awesome, and he could get many lineups out but he also needs to work on a few things--mainly being more economical with his pitches. Really like this kid.

Read something recently that indicated he would most likely skip AAA and be a candidate to be called up after Super 2, no need to start the clock. Pitching at altitude really does mess with pitchers and causes them to have to modify how they do things.

Josh Hader (Milwaukee Brewers) – Hader put together another fine start this past week going 6 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BBs, 6 Ks. The LHP is yet to give up a home run in his first six starts, is striking out a third of the batters he’s facing, and has a BAA of .194. Hader’s .308 BABIP and 2.00 FIP make me think this isn’t just some flash in the pan either. A big shout out to redditor S***Barometer for pointing out to me that the Brewers organization isn't hesitant to take pitching prospects directly from AA to the Majors and thereby bypassing a PCL based Colorado Springs park that can be a bit harsh on a pitcher's confidence (the team ERA for Colorado Springs right now is a league high 5.38). This is not me saying that Hader is coming up anytime soon but if the Brewers continue to struggle I don’t see why he wouldn’t get a call after the All-Star break.

This is from the latest pitching prospect article on Pitcherlist.com

They've been talking Hader up all year, every article has something good about him.

so he projects as a SP3? SP2? ace?

You're going to get a very wide array of responses depending on who you ask. I've seen some as high on him as to call him a SP2, while there are still some who believe he's a loogy. Hell, BP didn't even have him as one of the Brewer's top 10 prospects going into this year.I choose to believe in nearly 2 straight years of unfaltering domination.

Pitched another lights out game last night... 6IP, 4H, 0ER, 1BB and 8k's.. Hasn't given up more than 1 run in any of his 8 starts.. Yeah.. it might be time to find this dude some new competition..

Some say he's behind only Urias in terms of minor league lefties, some say he's a bullpen arm. They said the same thing about Chris Sale for the same reason.

Wide range of outcomes, but the ceiling is pretty high.

Some say he's behind only Urias in terms of minor league lefties, some say he's a bullpen arm. They said the same thing about Chris Sale for the same reason.

Wide range of outcomes, but the ceiling is pretty high.

And when you're in a keeper/dynasty league with moderate or greater depth, this is the kind of player that you need to be gambling on. Everyone knows the top 25 guys on BA's list. That's lazy. Being early to the party on a guy like Hader, with the kind of early results he's posted in AA over the past season and a quarter, can pay dividends with little cost/risk.

I'm maxed out on minor leaguers on my dynasty team an the only person I could drop to add Hader is Henry Owens. Is Hader a better prospect to have over Owens? Or should I wait til Turner gets called back up an then add Hader? I apologize if this isn't the place to be asking this question.

Yes go with Hader over Owens .... It's time to start stashing him in redraft if you haven't already.

Yes go with Hader over Owens .... It's time to start stashing him in redraft if you haven't already.

Hope your right, I just grabbed him in a redraft. Seeing him before the all star game would be awesome.

I'm maxed out on minor leaguers on my dynasty team an the only person I could drop to add Hader is Henry Owens. Is Hader a better prospect to have over Owens? Or should I wait til Turner gets called back up an then add Hader? I apologize if this isn't the place to be asking this question.

Yes. Henry Owens isn't going to be an ace ever. He is a change-up / curveball pitcher who is still having trouble spotting his rather slow fastball and maintaining control of his curve which is his second best pitch. He is a tall, lanky guy which makes keeping all his body parts in their proper position more than a little iffy thus the control and command problems.

If he gets things under control he could one day be a decent middle of the road guy because he has baseball smarts but I don't think he will ever be a stud.

By contrast it sounds like Hader, from what people have posted here, could have a nice, high ceiling. And, Hader will be up sooner than Owens who was only up earlier because 2 guys that started the season (E-Rod and Kelly) were both out of the rotation at the time. Last time they needed a spot starter they brought up no-name Sean O'Sullivan for 2 rather poor starts rather than go back to Owens.