Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoorsFieldRox

Josh Hader - SP MIL

What exactly is the hurry for the brewers? Why on earth start his service time clock now when they are clearly rebuilding?? There is nothing wrong with letting him dominate AA for another month or more. I think they may be trying to avoid sending him to Colo Springs as it is (obv) a crazy good hitting environment. But maybe they will call for him anyways, as there are whispers they have had it with Wily Peralta...?

St. Steven, just remember though, Hader pitched in the most hitter friendly environment in the minors at Lancaster. and he straight up dominated there. The only other Astro pitcher ive seen dominate Lancaster like Hader did was Vincent Velasquez. I think Hader will be good at Colorado Springs. Hes got that super deceptive crossfire delivery, which most batters find it impossible to square up. I could understand protecting a prospect from pitchers nightmare environments but Hader hasnt shown any reason why he wont dominate there. If anything, id rather my pitching prospect be challenged, then constantly putting up video game numbers day after day. But im willing to bet Hader dominates Colo Springs too. I really like Hader, Caught a few starts of his, and his fastball/slider combo is one of the best in the minors right now, but when his changeup is flashing plus, hes able to work more efficiently through the lineup and last longer and deeper. The last few starts where he went 6 innings with between 85-87 total pitches, he had all 3 pitches donwright filthy. Hader is my favorite pitching prospects in the minors right now. But the Astros Albert Abreu, Angels Grayson Long and the Blue Jays Francisco Rios are giving him a run for his money. Those 3 are also so sick to watch pitch. I think Abreu has the highest upside of those 3, Albert Abreu looks like he could be another Jose Fernandez in the making but has a long way to go.....

There is definitely some disagreement among experts, bloggers, etc about his timetable.

He isn't being challenged and has nothing else to prove at AA. So the question is, will he stay down through super-2 and then come up, or will they move him slowly to AAA (which many say they won't do because of the altitude factor messing with pitchers). Timetable is a gamble, but seems to have legit stuff.

He pitched a total of 104 innings last year, so 130-140 is probably his max this year. He's already at 40 IP, so he has 15 or so starts left in him. If they want to see what they have, I imagine they will want him up for at least a handful of starts.

Shorter outing today:

5.0 IP / 0ER / 2H / 3BB / 5K (86 pitches)

I wonder if there's a pitch cap on Hader. He hasn't gone over 6 IP this year. He seems to be in that middle ground where his stuff is too good for the AA competition, but MLB hitters would exploit the inefficiency.

Another solid outing for Hader last night..

5.1IP, 4H, 1ER, 1BB, 6K

88 pitches last night, the efficiency is the only thing lacking here. Everything else has been top of the line..

Season stats:

51IP, .88 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 65K. .194 AVG Against

I want to see him face some better competition but I don't think he's ready for the bigs quite yet.. and I'm not sure how I feel about him going to Colorado..

One thing to keep in mind, is it's entirely possible Milwaukee has him working on a certain pitch which is causing the high pitch counts.. I haven't watched much so I don't know for sure.

It seems like if he gets his control down we are looking at a top shelf #2 starter here. Very very few pitchers put up these kind of stats regardless of the level.. It's extremely impressive that he's doing it at AA in the Southern League.

Leads the Southern League in ERA, Ks, K%, K-BB%, Avg. Against (40IP+) and 2nd in WHIP.

He's leading all pitchers with 40+IP in hits allowed with 34.

One more stat that sticks out is his BABIP at .290, which leads me to believe he's been as good as some of the stats show. Not much luck is factored into it.

*Just realized that fangraphs hasn't uploaded the southern league stats from last night, but I'd assume he still leads in all of those categories after the good start.

He needs something new. They are running the risk of him getting bored or picking up bad habits against AA guys.

He needs something new. They are running the risk of him getting bored or picking up bad habits against AA guys.

Not so much that he will develop bad habits. He just won't realize the adjustments he needs to make being this far above the competition. He should get a AAA promotion very soon. The guy has a 0.88 ERA and he is 1-1 on the season over 10 starts.

The one thing in Hader's statistical game that he could really improve on would be inducing ground balls. Fly balls in the majors will punish him much more than AA flyballs.

Not so much that he will develop bad habits. He just won't realize the adjustments he needs to make being this far above the competition. He should get a AAA promotion very soon. The guy has a 0.88 ERA and he is 1-1 on the season over 10 starts.

The one thing in Hader's statistical game that he could really improve on would be inducing ground balls. Fly balls in the majors will punish him much more than AA flyballs.

Flyballs in AAA, Colorado Springs will hurt him more than flyballs in the majors, or AA. It's really starting to look like he's skipping AAA. He would be there by now if it was his next stop, wouldn't you think?

Flyballs in AAA, Colorado Springs will hurt him more than flyballs in the majors, or AA. It's really starting to look like he's skipping AAA. He would be there by now if it was his next stop, wouldn't you think?

He very well could. The guy is ready to show what he can do at the major league level with how he's dominated AA. Now that doesn't mean it all translates all at once, but he needs to be given a shot pretty soon here. I've stashed him in all my leagues already so maybe I'm just wishful thinking?

But all of that aside, they should promote him to AAA if they aren't going to bring him up to the bigs. A lot of elite level pitching prospects make the jump from AA to the bigs without much hiccup but AAA time would help. He does need to induce more groundballs big leaguers (especially in the summer) know how to hit flyballs a lot farther than AA hitters.

Gave up his first home run the other night.

5.1 IP 1 ER 4 H 1 BB 6 K

Still a solid outing. I have people eying him in my dynasty league now, time to decide whether to wait it out or flip him in a package for some MLB talent.

Peralta has not yet officially lost his rotation spot, MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports.

Peralta had a favorable matchup against the Phillies on Sunday, as the team checked in with the second-worst wOBA (.281) in all of Major League Baseball entering the contest.

and

Hader will likely skip his next start to rest, Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

With 51 innings under his belt at Double-A Biloxi, Hader is nearly halfway to his innings total from 2015 (104).

tell me, Hader is coming soon. willy gets one more chance.

I'm quite bullish on this guy's long-term upside, but I can't help but feel bearish on his MLB chances for 2016. The Brewers are handling him with kid gloves (which I'm ok with), not really letting him get near 100 pitches. They also stink at the big-league level which, combined with the typical service-time considerations, means they have almost zero incentive to promote him to the big club.

The glimmer of hope for 2016 seems to be that they need to do something with him, and soon. He's got nothing left to prove at his current level, and his skills progression will stall if he sticks around in AA. So do the Brewers throw him into AAA (Colorado Springs - hitters' paradise)? On one hand, it might force him to learn to induce more ground balls. On the other hand, it could rattle his confidence and lead to an overall step backwards for him.

I really couldn't guess one way or the other. Maybe a big-league injury forces their hand. Maybe he comes up as a reliever to keep his IP down. Maybe he spends July-September in AAA.

Pitching tonight. What is next? AAA or the majors??

FWIW, I think it's 50/50. I've read commentary in both directions. I'd be surprised if it is before mid-July in either case. One thing that is clear is that they're intent on limiting his IP.

Man this kid is about as consistent as they come.. they let him get his pitches past 90+ tonight.. Finished with 103 pitches which is a great sign that they are stretching him out some more..

Looked great again tonight.. when his stuff is in the zone it's tough/damn near impossible to hit sometimes.. generated quite a few swinging strikes..

Still struggled with control from time to time.. but overall another great performance.

Gave up 1ER late, may have been wearing down a bit as this was his first time going 90+ pitches this year (I believe) Had some trouble in the last inning with balls and a few base runners but worked out of it..

6IP, 4H, 1ER, 2BB, 8K

Love the potential here.

Besides the 2 walks and and a few full counts. Hader Was filthy tonight. So great to see then let him throw 15 more pitches then usual. Would love to see him get ahead in the count more often. He's got the Jacob degrom crossfire delivery deception. Hader dominated the California league with Lancaster 2 years ago. I would love to see the Brewers trust him enough to pitch in Colorado springs. They should probably demote Jorge Lopez who's confidence is getting shattered. If hader continues this dominance in Biloxi without being promoted, then my guess is they are skipping Col. Springs and would call him up straight from Biloxi. They see what a confidence shattering experience Col. Springs is for Lopez. But I'm willing to bet Hader dominates there too.