einstein2u

Matt Harvey 2016 Outlook

881 posts in this topic

Good to see he's using all his newfound free-time in a productive manner so far: 

Dude loves blocking anyone and everyone who says anything remotely critical about him. And NyMetsFan thinks JoFer is a mental midget...

Edited by absknicks
3 people like this

Now he's losing ribs as a result of this.

Harvey's issue involves muscles in the neck and shoulder impinging a nerve in his right shoulder. Thompson will remove one of Harvey's ribs to provide space, which should reduce the compression on the affected nerve and restore feeling in his pitching arm and fingers.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16892942/matt-harvey-new-york-mets-undergo-season-ending-surgery-thoracic-outlet-syndrome

19 minutes ago, Carlos Correa said:

Now he's losing ribs as a result of this.

Harvey's issue involves muscles in the neck and shoulder impinging a nerve in his right shoulder. Thompson will remove one of Harvey's ribs to provide space, which should reduce the compression on the affected nerve and restore feeling in his pitching arm and fingers.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/16892942/matt-harvey-new-york-mets-undergo-season-ending-surgery-thoracic-outlet-syndrome

Sounds as if it is the neurogenic variant of TOS.  From what I've been able to read on Pubmed success rate appears to be about 91-93% initially but 64-71% at the 10 year mark.  That being said Harvey is young and will have the absolute best doctors doing his care so I gotta imagine it's even better than that ( a lot of the studies have older and relatively unhealthy patients in their cohort).  That being said these studies typically don't study the ability to throw 95 MPH fastballs post operatively. 

So long story short he'll probably be just fine.  Or not.  

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Sounds as if it is the neurogenic variant of TOS.  From what I've been able to read on Pubmed success rate appears to be about 91-93% initially but 64-71% at the 10 year mark.  That being said Harvey is young and will have the absolute best doctors doing his care so I gotta imagine it's even better than that ( a lot of the studies have older and relatively unhealthy patients in their cohort).  That being said these studies typically don't study the ability to throw 95 MPH fastballs post operatively. 

So long story short he'll probably be just fine.  Or not.  

As long as the Mets doctors aren't involved that is probably right.  If Harvey was having surgery with the Mets doctors overseeing it they would probably inadvertently cut open his heart while performing the surgery.  Who am I kidding, Harvey doesn't have a heart!

1 person likes this

Not 2016 outlook but I'm curious what his 2017 looks like. In a best-case scenario of recovery, is he expected back fairly early next season?

Edited by PPolanco