Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cher103

Colby Rasmus

This is a new name for me. I have read thru this forum that someone thinks he is rookie of the year material. Has anyone else heard of him and how wonderful is he? Should I be keeping my eye on him?

Im right there with you, I dont remember much about him last year when he was called up (I think) and would love to know what everyone thinks of him. Isnt he in contention to replace Edmonds in center?

rasmus is one of the top 10 prospects in the game, but he is not competing with edmonds who is in petco. he also was not called up last year. it isn't clear if he will start the year in the majors, but he is going to be a solid rookie.

Yeah, I was also curious about this kid. I drafted him with my very last pick and then I saw today that said he had been dropped in almost 800 yahoo leagues.

I wasnt saying he was competiting with Edmonds at petco, I was jus saying that isnt he suppose to replace Edmonds for the Cardinals

Whether he starts the season in the bigs or not, he will contribute this year.

I'm probably the big champion you were thinking about.

He hit for fairly low average the last two years. However, both years, he's had a BABIP under .300 which is an anomoly, especially given his line drive rates.

His power isn;t much lower than Jay Bruce's, while he's a much better fielder, got much better speed, and dramatically better plate discipline.

He had a major sinus infection last year which completely sapped his strength and made him lose 15 pounds.

You take out those two months (June and July) and his 2007 line was this:

295 AB

.325/.408/.675

24HR

53 XBH

53:41 K:BB

The only negative about Rasmus, is that he's a massive pull hitter who doesn't do well against Lefties. But Grady Sizemore also doesn't do well against Lefties, and Rasmus is everything that Sizemore is, plus he's got much better contact rates.

I am a HUGE fan of Rasmus.

The only only only concern I have about him this year, is that Brian Barton is also doing well this spring, and since he's a Rule V pick (which means he can't be sent to the minors), Barton may get the starting job, and Rasmus may get sent to AAA to start the year.

But Rasmus is an absolute amazing talent and in my mind will have the best career of any player who qualifies as rookie right now.

I'm probably the big champion you were thinking about.

He hit for fairly low average the last two years. However, both years, he's had a BABIP under .300 which is an anomoly, especially given his line drive rates.

His power isn;t much lower than Jay Bruce's, while he's a much better fielder, got much better speed, and dramatically better plate discipline.

He had a major sinus infection last year which completely sapped his strength and made him lose 15 pounds.

You take out those two months (June and July) and his 2007 line was this:

295 AB

.325/.408/.675

24HR

53 XBH

53:41 K:BB

The only negative about Rasmus, is that he's a massive pull hitter who doesn't do well against Lefties. But Grady Sizemore also doesn't do well against Lefties, and Rasmus is everything that Sizemore is, plus he's got much better contact rates.

I am a HUGE fan of Rasmus.

The only only only concern I have about him this year, is that Brian Barton is also doing well this spring, and since he's a Rule V pick (which means he can't be sent to the minors), Barton may get the starting job, and Rasmus may get sent to AAA to start the year.

But Rasmus is an absolute amazing talent and in my mind will have the best career of any player who qualifies as rookie right now.

Okay, I'll admit, what the hell is BABIP, I just don't know! I feel like an idiot, but hey, I am only rated a rookie!

And here's another probably dumb question. When he did so great with his stats except for those 2 months of June and July, where was he playing? In AAA or did he make it up to the bigs at all last year? I don't even know what team he's on for that matter, but it does seem like that is important to know. I know that I for one will be keeping my eye on him. Never mind, I see it is the Cards, I would like to see him come up in the Phillies organization though

BABIP = Batting Average on Balls In Play.

It basically shows how lucky a hiter was , or at least how good the opposing defence's were at getting him out.

Average is around ~.290 to .300 or so.

Okay, I'll admit, what the hell is BABIP, I just don't know! I feel like an idiot, but hey, I am only rated a rookie!

Batting Average on Balls In Play.

Batting Average on Balls In Play

basically is a luck indicator...if a guy increases his batting average out of the blue one year, you can look at this stat to see if his BABIP is relatively the same. If it is, then its a great sign. If it jumped with the batting average, it probably means his balls were just finding a lot more gaps and may have been helped by some luck.

The Cards starting OF (as of now), is Duncan, Ankiel, and Gonzalez. If anything, Rasmus will get some seasoning in AAA until he's called up later in the year.

You never know though. This could change in the next two weeks. Just keep an eye on it. B)

The Cards starting OF (as of now), is Duncan, Ankiel, and Gonzalez. If anything, Rasmus will get some seasoning in AAA until he's called up later in the year.

You never know though. This could change in the next two weeks. Just keep an eye on it. B)

I don't think Gonzalez has any chance of even being on the bench. Ludwick, Schumaker & Barton are competing for the 3rd spot in the OF and the 2 losers will be on the bench I would imagine.

If (when?) Pujols needs surgery then I guess Duncan will be moved to 1B and that would free up a spot for Rasmus. Perhaps it's the Cardinals plan all along, delay Albert's surgery until they've sold plenty of tickets for the year, then a month or so in, when they're stinking it up towards the bottom of the NL Central, announce the surgery, and bring Rasmus up to appease the fans. They delay Rasmus's service clock so they get him for an extra year in 2014, Pujols gets the surgery out of the way pretty early on so he's healthy for 2009, and they still sell plenty of tickets.

BABIP also excludes home runs from the calcuation since they are not fieldable.

BABIP is also normally higher in the minors than it is in the majors since defense is worse in the minors. In the majors, it's typically around .300, in the minors a little higher like .320-.340.

Additionally, it's not a standalone "range", BABIP is pretty highly correlated to line drive %, which makes sense. Line drives fall for hits at a much greater percentage than flyballs or groundballs.

In the pros, BABIP is typically around .12 + line drive %. In the minors is closer to .14-.16 LD rate.

Well Rasmus had a 20+% LD rate and a sub .300 BABIP.

Rasmus was in AA, and his league was definitely a hitter's league so you have to discount that a bit.

It also looks like he'll likely be starting in AAA rather than the majors.

It also looks like he'll likely be starting in AAA rather than the majors.

Indeed.

Rotoworld Headlines:

Cardinals reassigned OF Colby Rasmus, RHP Clayton Mortensen and C Mark Johnson to minor league camp; optioned RHP Mike Parisi, RHP Jason Motte and OF Joe Mather to Triple-A Memphis.

When the Cardinals traded Jim Edmonds, all indications were that Rasmus was going to get every opportunity to win a starting job this spring. However, that clearly changed somewhere between the end of December and the first of March. He hit .273/.467/.515 in 33 at-bats this spring, but it had still become apparent that he was going to open the year in the minors. His chance will probably come around June. Mather also impressed this spring, hitting .289/.386/.526, and could get a look as a bench player later on. Mar. 17 - 5:02 pm et

Now that he's been sent down to AAA to start the season, which might be the best for him now, when do you think, if at all, he'll bring value to fantasy teams this year? Will he get a June/July call? I really don't see the Cards doing that hot this year, and I think that he gets the call sooner than later. Will he be worth holding onto until then, or do you see him not providing any fantasy production until next year?

Any answer is basically going to be a guess. As long as Duncan, Ankiel, Ludwick and Schumaker (and to a certain extent Pujols since Duncan would likely slide to 1b) remain healthy and at least somewhat effective, there's simply no reason to rush Rasmus up to the big club. He's only 21 years old so there's no rush. Basically, you're going to need 2 things. 1)The Cardinals have a need for Rasmus because a spot is open and they are in contention and 2)The Cardinals don't think Rasmus has anything more to gain by being in the minors.

When does everyone expect Rasmus to get the call? Schumaker doesnt have a hit yet in the leadoff spot for the cards i dont believe, Duncan is already having some health issues, and idk if Ludwick can be a regular although he hit well yesterday. We watched Ankiel rake in the minors last year for a very long time before they finally called him up do u think they will do the same with Rasmus or was Ankiel an acception because of his inexperience? Anyway the kid has all the tools to be a complete player and I was wondering if anyone thought i should use 1 of my 2 reserves spots in my NL only league on him or will it be a waste?

When does everyone expect Rasmus to get the call? Schumaker doesnt have a hit yet in the leadoff spot for the cards i dont believe, Duncan is already having some health issues, and idk if Ludwick can be a regular although he hit well yesterday. We watched Ankiel rake in the minors last year for a very long time before they finally called him up do u think they will do the same with Rasmus or was Ankiel an acception because of his inexperience? Anyway the kid has all the tools to be a complete player and I was wondering if anyone thought i should use 1 of my 2 reserves spots in my NL only league on him or will it be a waste?

He's 3-3 tonight. I'd expect him to be up before Bruce or Longoria. That's my gut feeling. How long can Schumacker seriously hold down CF?

Schu is actually playing LF.. but unless the Cards are going to pull a Tampa, I would expect him sooner rather than later.

Is Rasmus a better keeper than Adam Jones? I have Jones, but Rasmus is just sitting out there! It's killing me!