Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

I am hoping to find a few less touted pitchers to keep my eyes on as they develop instead of just being amazed by the Giolito and Snells of the world.

Guys like Taylor Guerrieri and Stephen Gonsalves come to mind.

Any others?

Josh Hader

Amir Garrett

Jacob Faria

Michael Fulmer

Touki Toussaint (if everything comes together)

*Brady Aiken (not sure if he's considered a top prospect right now)

Wilkerman Garcia, Josh Hader, Domingo Acevedo, Dylan Cease, and Stone Garrett come to mind. All of them have a lot of potential.

I like Luke Weaver and Yadier Alvarez to jump up rankings in addition to some of the names already mentioned. Acevedo was the first one that came to mind.

I also like Luke Weaver as a back-end rotation guy that could eat up innings. He could benefit from being in the STL org as they do a great job at developing pitchers.

Adonis Medina is a young kid that will shoot up rankings this year.. He has great potential.

Casey Meisner is another name to watch during 2016, he went to the Athletics in the Tyler Clippard deal.. Tall lanky frame with some projection left in it.. and has advanced control for a kid his age.

Years away, but with a little development, both Junior Fernandez and Triston McKenzie could be in the high minors with 3 plus pitches before their 20th birthdays.

Here's two more under the radar guys.

Oscar De La Cruz

Justus Sheffield

De La Cruz is looking good. Crazy is he's only been pitching for a few years. Was a SS previously.

Trey Mancini. I saw him a few years ago in low A ball and he looked good and he's only gotten better. 43 2B's, 21 HR's and a .341 BA last year between high A and AA. A big 6'4 frame he's grown into more over the past two years. The Davis signing makes it harder for him but I wouldn't be surprised if he shifted to a corner outfield spot more this season.

Here's two more under the radar guys.

Oscar De La Cruz

Justus Sheffield

I love Justus because the peripherals are so good and he has a great draft pedigree (no, no relation to Gary). Incredible K% and decent control and the Indians have had a pretty good track record lately. He's still a lotto ticket at this point but I've bought and I'm willing to hang in this year to see how it goes. Things look promising though.

Austin Riley was an absolute steal for Braves in the supplemental round in last year's draft. My 3 favorite bats from the 2015 draft, Austin Riley, Cornelius Randolph and Josh Naylor.

two of my favorite Sally bats in 2015

Rhys Hoskins- My hitter of the yr in the SAL I saw plus to double plus raw power and enough contact and loft to get it into games.

Dom Nunez- was hitting around the Mendoza line the 1st two mos, over the All Star Break he incorporated some lift in his swing and everything took off. He hit .335/.429/.607 over the last 200 at bats with all 13 of his HR's, 36 walks and 24 strikeouts

Good call on Nunez. He's very good defensively too so he isn't one of those catching prospects that will eventually move to 1B or outfield.

two of my favorite Sally bats in 2015

Rhys Hoskins- My hitter of the yr in the SAL I saw plus to double plus raw power and enough contact and loft to get it into games.

Dom Nunez- was hitting around the Mendoza line the 1st two mos, over the All Star Break he incorporated some lift in his swing and everything took off. He hit .335/.429/.607 over the last 200 at bats with all 13 of his HR's, 36 walks and 24 strikeouts

Yes, very nice call on Nunez. He was on my watch list entering last season but I stopped following him after the slow start. Had no idea he finished so strongly. He also has received an invite to MLB spring training.

im gonna throw SS Edmundo Sosa into the pile.

Opening Day 2016 Age: 20

2015 Level: Short-season Johnson City

Relevant Numbers: 223 PAs, .185 ISO, 137 wRC+, 19 XBHs, .300/.369/.485

Playing at nineteen in the Appalachian League, Sosa continued to show an advanced approach at the plate, though he was more aggressive in attacking pitches in the zone this season than he had been in the past. The big reason for that was probably the ten pounds of muscle he's added to his frame the last couple years, and the fact his loose, fast swing now has enough oomph behind it to do some real damage when he connects. Howard Johnson Field, where the Cardinals play, is a fairly spacious ballpark, 410' to center and spacious in the alleys, and Sosa put seven over the boards in roughly a third of a full season's trips to the plate. There's always a balance to be struck between attacking and controlling the zone, between aggression and patience, and Sosa will have to make sure he finds that balance going forward for himself. In the meantime, the sudden appearance of over-the-fence power for Sosa is an incredibly exciting development.

Austin Riley was an absolute steal for Braves in the supplemental round in last year's draft. My 3 favorite bats from the 2015 draft, Austin Riley, Cornelius Randolph and Josh Naylor.

Great tout, especially re: Riley. I really like all 3 of those, but Riley's one that far exceeded expectations last year and really jumped onto the radar.

I like Calhoun. However, this raises all kinds of red flags for me.

Calhoun’s power is currently pull heavy; all of his 2015 professional home runs went to right field, almost exclusively right down the foul line. While that would suggest that his raw power may not be much better than above average, it’s still a smallish sample size, and his usable game power is more than enough for second base. Calhoun already has a good idea of which pitches he can turn on for power, but doesn’t just sell out for home runs.

His production on the other hand, keeps reeling you in. I can see some Marcus Giles in him.

I am hoping to find a few less touted pitchers to keep my eyes on as they develop instead of just being amazed by the Giolito and Snells of the world.

Guys like Taylor Guerrieri and Stephen Gonsalves come to mind.

Any others?

Guys like Hoffman, Sheffield & Touissant are out of the top 50 in most lists but are still in the back half of the top 100 and are fairly visible in the fantasy/dynasty world. One SP who I think is currently underrated and may not even make John Sickels' Top 175 list that he puts out in mid-March is Phil Bickford - SFG.

(His high draft status does, however, make him less "under the radar" than others.)

Have to throw Trevor story in the mix here. Over shadowed by Rodgers but at the moment looks like he could take over at ss in colorodo. Showed very nice power/speed combo in AA AAA. If he could control that k rate a little bit, he could be a HUGE contributor this year in fantasy league Expecially at an anemic position such as ss...