Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

Have to throw Trevor story in the mix here. Over shadowed by Rodgers but at the moment looks like he could take over at ss in colorodo. Showed very nice power/speed combo in AA AAA. If he could control that k rate a little bit, he could be a HUGE contributor this year in fantasy league Expecially at an anemic position such as ss...

I own Reyes in a Dynasty League and am terrified. He could be suspended half the season. Maybe more. Story could be a steal, particularly in NL Leagues.

One player you won't find in the 2015 Breakout thread is AJ Reed. His individual player thread was made midseason in A+ ball on June 22nd.

My initial player to this thread is a comparable player (IMO) to AJ Reed in terms of position, draft position and his possible fantasy attributes.

Chris Shaw isn't on any top 100 lists. And he didn't dominate the SEC like Reed did as a Junior. But he was a recent late 1st pick 1B with power and a suspect glove, much like Reed was (31st selection ve 42nd). Shaw's A- line wasn't as eye-popping as Reed's was in 2015, but it was definitely a good start in transitioning to a wood bat. (12 HRs in 178 ABs, 260 ISO)

Chris Shaw is one of my choices to pop up from out of the top 100 into the top 50 based on his projected 2016 A/A+/AA performance on the basis of his power, hit tool & plate discipline.

JJ Cooper of B.America doesn't think Shaw has the hit tool of Reed et al, but admits his early pro debut might lead to him changing his mind down the line.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/san-francisco-giants-top-10-prospects-chat/

Mallex Smith not even in the top 100? I think Willson Contreras is #50 according to MLB Prospect list. Am I missing something? I guess Contreras will be up at some point late 2016? Maybe? Mallex reminds me of a better contact hitter version of Billy Hamilton. We will see him in 2016 as well?

Victor robles if he isn't already

Anderson Espinoza

Josh hader

Alex verdugo

Bobby bradley

wilkerman garcia

Gilbert lara

kolby allard

Kyle tucker

daz cameron

Yusniel diaz

Kevin matian

these are guys who have a combo of pedigree/existing hype/tools/age that if they take another jump from their pre2016 value they're gonna fall in that top 50 fairly easily. some have been placed there already by some but age truly holds them back from solidifying that status

Anderson Espinoza is listed in top 50 and, on some lists, top 20 already. Hader, Bradley, Tucker. Allard and Cameron are all on top 100 with Tucker usually listed in top 50 now as well and Hader moving up. Near impossible to hide away any prospect these days.

With another step forward and a year of progression, Blue Jays SP Conner Greene should end up firmly in the Top 50 of prospect lists next year. There is also a good chance he earns a rotation spot in 2017.

After he gets done with AA and maybe has a cup of coffee in AAA, I project Derek Fisher-HOU to be a top 50 prospect in at least one list for 2017. He seems to have a solid approach to with plus-power (maybe even plus-plus) and has speed potential. IMO, he is a fantasy darling.

[Do you follow NBA Basketball? Are you aware of Myles Turner on Indiana? To go with his talent, he has immense "makeup" and is a real "humble student of the game". In interviews and outsiders POV's, I get the sense Derek Fisher is that kind of guy.]

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/fisher-credits-college-ease-pro-ball-transition/

My summary so far:

Chris Shaw - SFG (currently ~150-200)

Derek Fisher - HOU (currently ~150)

Dylan Cease. He was a projected 1st rounder in the 2014 draft but got hurt and was waiting to under go TJS during the draft. The Cubs nabbed him in the 4th round and gambled his arm would come back. In limited time last year he was sitting mid 90's and flashing 98-100 with a plus curve. He's generally seen as the highest upside pitcher in the Cub system and it should be real interesting if they start him in A ball rather than shorstseason.

SP David Paulino: just turned 22

Limited innings First year back from TJ . Can throw Mid-90's with ease, a Hammer Curve for his out-pitch and ability to pound the Strike Zone with it. Developing change up(like most of these guys)

With a bigger work load and another year away from TJ. Things could really start clicking for him. Probably starts in high A, but should be in AA at some point next year. AKA the all imporant leap that will put him on the map.

Last year: 67.1 IP 72K's 19BB's across A-, A and A+

SP David Paulino: just turned 22

Limited innings First year back from TJ . Can throw Mid-90's with ease, a Hammer Curve for his out-pitch and ability to pound the Strike Zone with it. Developing change up(like most of these guys)

With a bigger work load and another year away from TJ. Things could really start clicking for him. Probably starts in high A, but should be in AA at some point next year. AKA the all imporant leap that will put him on the map.

Last year: 67.1 IP 72K's 19BB's across A-, A and A+

I like the tout here. Has been on my radar as well. Definitely a possible breakout guy.

I am hoping to find a few less touted pitchers to keep my eyes on as they develop instead of just being amazed by the Giolito and Snells of the world.

Guys like Taylor Guerrieri and Stephen Gonsalves come to mind.

Any others?

In the spirit of adhering to the request...

Pitcher outside the top-50 that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet

• Kyle Zimmer (take away injury risk, he's probably top-30)

And a pitcher outside the top-150 I haven't seen mentioned yet

• Pedro Payano (still a possibility for bullpen mainly because of his build, not limitations)

Here's a few for you guys...

Sleeper: Jomar Reyes (Baltimore 3B/1B)

Deep Sleeper: Albert Abreu (Astros SP)--- Maybe hes the next Francis Martes

The abyss: Estevan Florial (Yankees OF)--- Maybe he's the next Victor Robles

I don't consider anyone consistently in the top 100 to be a sleeper...

Chris Shaw isn't on any top 100 lists. And he didn't dominate the SEC like Reed did as a Junior. But he was a recent late 1st pick 1B with power and a suspect glove, much like Reed was (31st selection ve 42nd). Shaw's A- line wasn't as eye-popping as Reed's was in 2015, but it was definitely a good start in transitioning to a wood bat. (12 HRs in 178 ABs, 260 ISO)

Chris Shaw is one of my choices to pop up from out of the top 100 into the top 50 based on his projected 2016 A/A+/AA performance on the basis of his power, hit tool & plate discipline.

JJ Cooper of B.America doesn't think Shaw has the hit tool of Reed et al, but admits his early pro debut might lead to him changing his mind down the line.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/san-francisco-giants-top-10-prospects-chat/

Weekend article from JJ Cooper on MiLB 1B has Shaw under heading "Bursting on the scene", ranked just out of top 10.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/top-100-prospects-position-rankings-first-basemen/

Based on his high ceiling due to his velocity (mid-90s) & occasional plus slider, improving command, and the Astros sticking with his starter development, I'll say Michael Feliz is an undervalued prospect ready to make a leap up the rankings. It's going to be tough to get prime results/stats in Fresno & the PCL to wow the box score community but I think he's the profile who can do it.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-michael-feliz-will-continue-his-development-as-a-starter/

Summary (not in top 100,possible top 50 in '17)

Chris Shaw - SFG

Derek Fisher - HOU

Michael Feliz - HOU

Colin Moran-3B-Houston. Doesnt have speed but should hit for high avg in bigs and power still could come along a bit. Even if it doesnt: .300 with good OBP and 12-15 bombs could be available. Should see PT in bigs in 2016, or early 2017.

Based on his high ceiling due to his velocity (mid-90s) & occasional plus slider, improving command, and the Astros sticking with his starter development, I'll say Michael Feliz is an undervalued prospect ready to make a leap up the rankings. It's going to be tough to get prime results/stats in Fresno & the PCL to wow the box score community but I think he's the profile who can do it.

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/astros-michael-feliz-will-continue-his-development-as-a-starter/

Chris Shaw - SFG

Derek Fisher - HOU

Michael Feliz - HOU

How would you compare Feliz to another Astros fast riser, Martes?

Chris Shaw - SFG

Derek Fisher - HOU

Michael Feliz - HOU

How would you compare Feliz to another Astros fast riser, Martes?

Martes surely has age on his side and probably presents a higher upside. He's the more trendy prospect now. For me, Feliz is slightly closer to reaching his potential.

For both of them, I like that they're in this system for their development.

(^ Michael Feliz, 3-5 posts up)

Yankee hitters had afternoon tee times and were first ball swinging but a nice 3IP today. Obviously being more consistent with the offspeed is the key (isn't it always?), but it's good enough in spurts to project it if it clicks.

Antonio Senzatela of Colorado and Matt Chapman of Oakland. I think both are underrated, more so Antonio since Chapman is a former first rounder.

Vicente Campos,P - NYY. People have forgotten about him after his TJ surgery, but I have a feeling he's back in a big way this year.

Isan Diaz, MI MIL- In a move that many people forgot about (or ignored), the Dbacks traded for Jean Segura, and the return package for the Brewers was simply a couple of usable pieces in Aaron Hill, and Chase Anderson. And Diaz. Realistically, Diaz was likely the centerpiece for what they wanted in this deal, and that alone should grab attention. If not, look up his numbers from last year. He was the MVP of the Pioneer league, and while a lot of those numbers are inflated due to ballparks out there, the skills are loud. I was leading the charge on Diaz. Now likely into full season ball, it's time to hop on the bandwagon

Willie Calhoun, 2B LAD - Not exactly the beacon of physical fitness, but all this kid has ever done is hit, and hit, and hit

KJ Woods - MIA - Huge power potential, but we'll see how it translates to the FSL this year. If he mashes there, watch out