Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

2 more I really like:

Austin Riley, 3B (ATL). Huge power potential. Some worry about his ability long term to make consistent contact, but had a very promising small sample last year.

Jhoan Urena, 3B (NYM). Aggressive promotion of him last year to St. Lucie where he struggled, then got hurt, and struggled some more....to only get hurt again (I'm pretty sure he broke both of his hamate bones). From what I've read, makes a lot of loud contact, and advanced feel for hitting. If he's owned in your dynasty league, he's a guy to target-as many will have soured on him from last year.

Posted some of this in the Spring Training update thread but figured I'd post it here too..

Another sleeper that I've rostered in my deep (20-team 40 man MiLB rosters) is John Gant, SP - ATL.. he's pitched 5.2 innings in spring training so far...

3H 1R 1ER 0HR 1BB 4Ks .158 Avg Against 1.59 ERA

Had a great year last year and is a pretty intriguing prospect to follow this year.

6'5 righty in the braves system that was a part of a trade where Juan Uribe went to the Mets.

Scouting reports: Gant 90-95 heat, plus changeup, solid breaking ball. Whalen 92-93 mph, working on break ball. Strike thrower #Mets#Braves

— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) July 24, 2015

This is only for deeper leagues, but could be worth following through out the year.

Michael Feliz

Another clean 3IP vs Toronto's B team today. No Ks. Use your phone mlb app for about 6 pitches on the highlights, all fastballs. Meh, whatever. I like his easy delivery. It's over-the-top and might cause a straight FB with little deception. We'll see how he does in AAA. Good camp, Michael.

Kolby Allard, Cornelius Randolph, JD Davis, Isan Diaz, Domingo Acevedo, Matt Chapman off the top of my head

Sickels posted his sleeper list in an article today: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/3/18/11261756/the-2016-sleeper-alert-list

Here's his list:

2016 Sleepers

Imani Abdullah, RHP, Dodgers
Albert Abreu, RHP, Astros
Telmito Agutin, OF, Nationals
Tyler Alexander, LHP, Tigers
Logan Allen, LHP, Padres

Eliezer Alvarez, 2B, Cardinals
Anthony Banda, LHP, Diamondbacks
Allen Cordoba, SS, Cardinals
Oscar De La Cruz, RHP, Cubs
Enyel De Los Santos, RHP, Padres

Bubba Derby, RHP, Brewers
Yandy Diaz, 3B, Indians
Mauricio Dubon, SS, Red Sox
Jose Espada, RHP, Blue Jays
Gray Fenter, RHP, Orioles

Chris Flexen, RHP, Mets
John Gant, RHP, Braves
Yeudy Garcia, RHP, Pirates
Isiah Gilliam, OF, Yankees
Josh Graham, RHP, Braves

Taylor Hearn, LHP, Nationals
Arnaldo Hernandez, RHP, Royals
Elieser Hernandez, RHp, Astros
Sam Hilliard, OF, Rockies
C.J. Hinojosa, INF, Giants

Jake Jewell, RHP, Angels
Brad Keller, RHP, Diamondbacks
Ryan Kellogg, LHP, Cubs
Dinelson Lamet, RHP, Padres
Andrew Lee, RHP, Nationals

Lazaro Leyva, RHP, Orioles
Shedric Long, 2B, Reds
Phil Maton, RHP, Padres
Patrick Mazeika, C, Mets
Anderson Miller, OF, Royals

Cody Mobley, RHP, Mariners
Taylor Motter, OF-INF, Rays
Carlos Munoz, 1B, Pirates
Trey Nielsen, RHP, Cardinals
Jio Orozco, RHP, Mariners

Chris Paddack, RHP, Marlins
Pedro Payano, RHP, Rangers
Cody Poteet, RHP, Marlins
Roberto Ramos, 1B, Rockies
Jesus Sanchez, OF, Rays

Zach Shepherd, 3B, Tigers
Corey Toups, SS, Royals
Blake Trahan, SS, Reds
Seth Varner, LHP, Reds
Carlos Vidal, OF, Yankees

Jose Vizcaino, Jr, 3B, Giants
LaMonte Wade, OF, Twins
Tyler Watson, LHP, Nationals
Lachlan Wells, LHP, Twins
Jamie Westbrook, 2B, Diamondbacks

Lucas Williams, 3B, Phillies
Ryan Williams, RHP, Cubs
Hunter Wood, RHP, Rays
Juan Yepez, 1B, Braves

I dunno, what good is just listing names without saying much about them.

To sell a $27 handbook?

To sell a $27 handbook?

probably. I mean. Thats a cool list. Dont even known Imani Abdullah and I'm a Dodgers fan. But I aint looking all these guys up.

I think it's awesome. I'll do the work but it's nice to find some help and get pointed in the right direction.

It's a great value for what you and I paid for it.

To sell a $27 handbook?

probably. I mean. Thats a cool list. Dont even known Imani Abdullah and I'm a Dodgers fan. But I aint looking all these guys up.

I'll give a tid-bit on one he listed that I also think is a sleeper:

P Hunter Wood- Tampa Bay

He was throwing about 93 in the AFL, but he sits more low 90's as a starter. However he has from what scouts have said is a ridiculously good whiff inducing curveball. His fastball, while average velocity has a ton of rise to it, which contrasts well with the bottom dropping out curve.

He actually started last year in the BP in A ball, but because he was doing so well. He earned his way back into starting. He's had a habbit of taking a bit to do well at a new level. Though when he was promoted to high A. He struggled only for a few starts. His last 3 starts to end the year 17 IP 19K's 4BB.

His Slider/Change are below average/works in progress, so at this stage he's realistic projection is a BP arm given he's only a 2 pitch pitcher, in which the FB is only average velo/command right now. He's on my prospect watch list personally because progression in command or 3rd pitch or FB velo uptick(he's young and project-able enough this could happen still)

could turn that BP projection into legit SP prospect give the inherit Fastball/Curve combo he already has.

To sell a $27 handbook?

I'll give a tid-bit on one he listed that I also think is a sleeper:

P Hunter Wood- Tampa Bay

He was throwing about 93 in the AFL, but he sits more low 90's as a starter. However he has from what scouts have said is a ridiculously good whiff inducing curveball. His fastball, while average velocity has a ton of rise to it, which contrasts well with the bottom dropping out curve.

He actually started last year in the BP in A ball, but because he was doing so well. He earned his way back into starting. He's had a habbit of taking a bit to do well at a new level. Though when he was promoted to high A. He struggled only for a few starts. His last 3 starts to end the year 17 IP 19K's 4BB.

His Slider/Change are below average/works in progress, so at this stage he's realistic projection is a BP arm given he's only a 2 pitch pitcher, in which the FB is only average velo/command right now. He's on my prospect watch list personally because progression in command or 3rd pitch or FB velo uptick(he's young and project-able enough this could happen still)

could turn that BP projection into legit SP prospect give the inherit Fastball/Curve combo he already has.

already more useful than that list

Sam Travis

Don't see him on any top 100 list but he has a great bat and opportunity might knock soon in Boston

To sell a $27 handbook?

I did, and found some very useful info, research, got to love it.

Kolby Allard, Cornelius Randolph, JD Davis, Isan Diaz, Domingo Acevedo, Matt Chapman off the top of my head

If Allard can stay healthy, already had back issues twice, he'll end up a middle of the rotation guy or better. His stuff is excellent. I just have immense doubts he stays healthy and that's why he didn't go until middle of the 1st.

Not sure if he's been mentioned, but I started a thread on him, Keon Broxton. He looks like he could be the starting CF for Milwaukee and has solid on base skills by the look of it. Had 10 HR and 39 SB's last year and is having a great spring (I know spring stats don't always tell the true facts, but still) 6 SB's already. Could be a cheap source for runs and steals that no one knows or talks about...

Here's two more under the radar guys.

Oscar De La Cruz

Justus Sheffield

I love Justus because the peripherals are so good and he has a great draft pedigree (no, no relation to Gary). Incredible K% and decent control and the Indians have had a pretty good track record lately. He's still a lotto ticket at this point but I've bought and I'm willing to hang in this year to see how it goes. Things look promising though.

Actually Gary is Justus' uncle

Daniel Palka, Austin Riley, Tyler O'Neill, Roman Quinn, Jeimer Candelario, Jhailyn Ortiz, Lucius Fox

A couple of players I really like that are far away:

Corey Zangari, 1B (CWS) - Big time power bat who apparently has a great feel for the strike zone as well. THis appears to be a guy who is going to burst onto the scene this year....or he could eventually be Dan Vogelbach.

Anderson Franco 3B, (WAS) - signed for a good chunk of change a couple of years ago, and has been progressing well. What i've read about him is the scouts say he has 4 tools that are at least above average (speed below average). Comparisons (no relation) to Maikel Franco.

Some guys I like/will be following closely this year (echoing some names mentioned prior):

Estevan Florial NYY- 6'1 185 lbs OF, turned 18 this past November, from Haiti. If you haven't checked out his story yet in that NY Post article, highly recommend it. But he was signed during the big NYY splurge of the 2014-2015 International signing period. Signed for $200,000 in January of 2015, but would have signed for a ton more if not for the birth certificate issue. NYY got a steal there. Power, speed, athleticism. There's 5 tool potential here IMO. If I'm throwing a dart at a guy at who I think could be the "Victor Robles" type of guy of this year, it's Florial or Anderson Franco (love the tout above by the way) in my humble opinion.

Leody Taveras TEX- 6'1 165 lbs OF, turned 17 this past September, signed July 2, 2015. Literally just a kid, but have read/heard sparkling things about him from Rangers' writers this spring. Very high ceiling, still pretty raw of course. One of the top overall talents from the J2 2015 signing class. Another potential 5 tool talent. Could be a year or two or three early on him as he's still just so young, but the profile is impressive. Some notes+video from ST on Taveras here via Tepid Participation (tremendous Texas Rangers source by the way):

And after several rounds of BP, I'm ready to declare Leody Taveras a guy who could demand as much as $2.1million. What's that? He already got that much moola? Well then he better be good...and I think he is. Switch hitter who hits the ball harder than his body looks like it should. He's 17 and sent a few over the fence rather quickly. It's gonna sound like blasphemy now, but he reminds me of a 17 year-old Mazara. Doesn't look like he'll end up quite as big as Maz, but Leody is almost certainly a better athlete and has a similar, kinda noisy swing that produces good results. He's gonna be in refinement school for the next few years, but the tools are very, very loud. I'm holding out hope he plays stateside this summer.

Albert Abreu HOU- 6'2 175 lb SP, turned 20 this past September. Pitched well in the Appalachian League last year across 7 starts. Entering his first full pro season this year. FB/CB/SL/CH repertoire. Badler tweeted out this spring that Abreu was hitting 97 on the gun with the FB. Sickels ranked him #15 prospect in Houston's system this offseason. I think he could be one of Houston's top 5 prospects a year from now.

Adonis Medina PHI- 6'1 185 lb SP, turned 19 this past December. FB/CB/CH as far as stuff goes. Hitting mid-high 90's on the gun this spring. Both curve and change have at least average potential, quite possibly more as I've read more along the lines of plus potential with the curve. Didn't make BP's Top 10 Philadelphia Phillies list this past offseason, but definitely a kid to watch this year. Some video from just a few days ago:

Bryan Hudson CHC LHP- Big kid at 6'8 220 lbs, but he's got a lot of athleticism. Drafted in the 3rd round last year out of HS, so he's just 18. From what I've read, he throws a very good curve. FB is in the low 90's, sometimes hitting 94. Change needs further development though. He needs a lot of refinement being only 18, but from my limited knowledge on the Cubs system, Hudson has impressed since being drafted.

Pedro Gonzalez COL SS/3B/OF- Another young kid at just 18. Adam McIntuff talked about him a bit in a recent BP chat:

Steve (Philly): Okay, here's another guy you may have seen in the backfields: Pedro Gonzalez from the Rockies. Have you gotten a look at him? I know he was DSL last year, but I've read too many articles with a Machado comp in there to not be intrigued about him as a prospect, even if it's just a remark about the body-type.

Adam McInturff: I have gotten a look at him, though I wouldn't say it is a Machado body type. It's a beanpole 6'5 body type that oozes athleticism, though he kind of looks like a baby deer right now. It's closer to a young Gregory Polanco.

The athleticism and raw power are massively interesting paired with his size. Similarly, he's eons away from the big leagues and I'm expecting at least another year of complex ball. He needs to get stronger and bring more 'now' offense into games.

He commands your attention, though, just in terms of his raw tools, the gait, and the frame. I can see why they paid him the way they did. Interesting note: I saw him in CF, not at SS.

Long ways away like most of the guys I've listed so far, but the athletic+power potential have me intrigued.

Few more guys:

Chris Flexen SP NYM- 21 years old. Had TJS in 2014, came back for a handful of starts last year across rookie, A-, and A ball. Mid 90's FB with a slider and change that show upside. Hopefully stays healthy from here on out.

I also like two pitchers within the Red Sox system: Roniel Raudes and Christopher Acosta. Both were signed during the same J2 period as Espinoza. On Acosta via Sox Prospects:

Christopher Acosta impressed Chaz in his look at him this spring, and, despite his youth, he has shown an advanced feel for his age. He already stands 6-foot-4 with a projectable frame, 89-92 mph fastball, and advanced changeup. Chaz said that if he can improve his breaking ball and add some strength and a tick of velocity he could rocket up the rankings. He jumped into the top 20 for the first time at #19

Luis Alexander Basabe BOS OF is the last guy I wanted to mention. Made BP's Top 10 Red Sox List at #6. Power/speed combo with good bat speed. Only 19, but I'm a sucker for those potential power+speed guys.

I always forget a couples names. Last few:

Brett Martin TEX- Big LHP here. Turning 21 in April. Listed at 6'4 190 lbs, I've seen him listed taller. Drafted 4th round in 2014. Heard he looked good in the prospects game this spring. FB/CB/CH. FB in the low 90's hitting 94. CB and CH both show upside. Badler talked a bit about him:

Bucky (Dallas): How close was Brett Martin to your T10? Hard to not get excited for a big-bodied lefty with three pitches.

Ben Badler: He’s in the 11-20 range, and I did talk to scouts who liked him quite a bit for his breakout potential. Like you said, big-framed LHP with a plus fastball that has good plane, a tight-spinning curveball and a changeup that’s shown encouraging progress too. He had some hip problems that limited his innings last year, but he’s definitely one to watch this year.

There might be sneaky mid rotation upside here. Video from prospects game:

Scott Lucas @scottrlucas

LHP Brett Martin. Not as flashy, but as dominant as anyone I saw yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2f0AXYTbbc&feature=youtu.be

Last one is a 17 year old SS/2B named Jonathan Arauz. Houston grabbed him in the Giles trade. Badler talked a bit about him in a Sept chat:

x (Philly): What kind of upside does Arauz have?

Ben Badler: I have a hard time putting an upside or a ceiling on someone when they just turned 17 years old, because even the physical tools like speed and arm strength can improve at that age. I don’t expect Arauz to be a high impact player, but he’s a smart, steady player who will play somewhere in the infield with an advanced bat. Nothing flashy—Gamboa is a quicker twitch guy with more tools but more crudeness to his game—but an instinctive player who won’t have the loudest tools on the field but could have the bat to be an everyday guy up the middle.

Houston has had a knack lately for spotting those guys in the lower levels of the minors. Same scout who spotted Martes also wanted Houston to get Arauz. They did. Now we'll need to see how this 17 year old develops.

Others I'm keeping tabs on as best I can:

-Anderson Tejada SS TEX

-Daniel Gossett SP OAK

-Franklin Perez SP HOU

-Jonas Wyatt SP CLE

Dylan Cease

Junior Fernandez

Willie Calhoun

Adonis Medina

They've all been mentioned but are guys I'm really looking forward to seeing this year.

Not sure if already mentioned, but I'm keeping my eyes on Jamie Westbrook. Dbacks 2B prospect with double digit pop and speed. Had a good average and didn't K a ton. Needs to improve his walk rate but I'm keeping an eye on him.

***original premise: not top 100, maybe top 50 in '17***

This thread morphed from sleepers to deep sleepers, but one of my guys Michael Feliz just had the start of his season turned upside down.

Finch said he'd go down to AAA to keep developing as a starter (CBS link posted earlier in thread), he was optioned, and then 'Stros changed their mind. Feliz makes the 25-man, presumably as a Chris Heston-ish long man for now.

https://twitter.com/evandrellich/status/716004799452413952

Gonna add another name to the mix..Ruddy Giron. SS for the Padres organization. Only 19 years old,but put up 9 HR and 15 SB in Class A. I think he could be one to add to a watch list. Not sure about his defensive pedigree, but offensively he looks intriguing. If he can improve on the base paths he would be a lot more attractive.