Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

2B Luis Urias.

Think Ozzie Albies type MI. 19 Year old in high A(So one of the youngest). No Power but flashing extremely good hit tool against older pitchers. With a short compact swing. He hasn't put up big SB yet, but he does have above average speed.

Last year in A Ball 8% K 7.1% BB .290 BA .370 OBP 5 SB outta 15 Attempts(so was poor efficiency, but seems to be trying

So far in High A: 3.4% K 6.9% BB .346 BA .397 OBP 2 SB 6 attempts (again with poor efficiency, but WANTs to run). If he can become more efficient at Stealing as he matures he could become a real asset of interest given the obvious plus hit tool..

He has the instincts, hands and range to play MLB SS.. However i've heard is arm is weak and the reason why he projects more 2B unless he builds up arm strength(which he's young enough to pull that off)

2B Luis Urias.

Think Ozzie Albies type MI. 19 Year old in high A(So one of the youngest). No Power but flashing extremely good hit tool against older pitchers. With a short compact swing. He hasn't put up big SB yet, but he does have above average speed.

Last year in A Ball 8% K 7.1% BB .290 BA .370 OBP 5 SB outta 15 Attempts(so was poor efficiency, but seems to be trying

So far in High A: 3.4% K 6.9% BB .346 BA .397 OBP 2 SB 6 attempts (again with poor efficiency, but WANTs to run). If he can become more efficient at Stealing as he matures he could become a real asset of interest given the obvious plus hit tool..

He has the instincts, hands and range to play MLB SS.. However i've heard is arm is weak and the reason why he projects more 2B unless he builds up arm strength(which he's young enough to pull that off)

Picked him up last night myself. Elite contact skills and having a very successful season after a very aggressive promotion into A+ at 18. I'd like to see that BB% get into the 8 to 9% area, but I think he has the making of a .300+avg 10-15HR guy as he gets older and fills out.

Two older Cubs who are drawing attention early in the season.

24 year old OFer Bijan Rademacher is putting up a .396/.525/.708 line in AA. 19.7BB% vs 13.1K%

23 year old 2B Chesny Young is putting up a .344/.459/.475 line also in AA. 16.2BB% vs 6.8K%

This is the first time he's showing any kind of power coming off season after season of batting .300+ but SLGing under .400. If he can grow into 10-15 HR power he because a real interesting prospect.

the Giants' 2015 2nd rounder Andrew Suarez is off to a nice little start in A-Ball. Ceiling? Maybe Corbin.... idk.

Yesterday: 6.2ip, 10K (7 swinging on the slider), 15 swing & miss total

https://twitter.com/giant_potential/status/725779830046789632

Season: 2.78/1.00 22.2ip 3bb/30k

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=andrew-suarez

One player you won't find in the 2015 Breakout thread is AJ Reed. His individual player thread was made midseason in A+ ball on June 22nd.

My initial player to this thread is a comparable player (IMO) to AJ Reed in terms of position, draft position and his possible fantasy attributes.

Chris Shaw isn't on any top 100 lists. And he didn't dominate the SEC like Reed did as a Junior. But he was a recent late 1st pick 1B with power and a suspect glove, much like Reed was (31st selection ve 42nd). Shaw's A- line wasn't as eye-popping as Reed's was in 2015, but it was definitely a good start in transitioning to a wood bat. (12 HRs in 178 ABs, 260 ISO)

Chris Shaw is one of my choices to pop up from out of the top 100 into the top 50 based on his projected 2016 A/A+/AA performance on the basis of his power, hit tool & plate discipline.

JJ Cooper of B.America doesn't think Shaw has the hit tool of Reed et al, but admits his early pro debut might lead to him changing his mind down the line.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/san-francisco-giants-top-10-prospects-chat/

Chris Shaw is currently slashing 352/413/603 as the cleanup hitter for San Jose-A+, with 3 HRs & 9 2Bs in 72 ABs. (6bb/17k)

One that hasn't been mentioned yet, is Travis Lakins SP - BOS..

So far, 19.1IP, 23K, 2.33ERA, 1.45WHIP

The WHIP looks bad, but to be fair opponents have had a .359 BABIP against him so far..

He's pitching tonight and I plan watching and writing up a pitching report on him later tonight.

Here's a little tidbit from MLB.com (Grades: Fastball: 60, Curve: 55, Change: 50, Control: 50) Ranked as the #11 prospect in Boston's system.

After a banner performance in the summer Prospect League and a strong fall practice at Ohio State in 2014, Lakins entered last year as potential top-three-rounds pick. He saw his stuff back up as a Draft-eligible sophomore, however, and he fell to the sixth round before signing for an above-slot $320,000. That he opens 2016 ranking as Boston's third-best right-handed pitching prospect does speak to the system's lack of depth at that position, but also to how good he looked in the instructional league.

The Red Sox think Lakins' pitches regressed because he tried to mess with too many different ones last spring, throwing three variations of his fastball along with a slider, curveball and changeup. He looked better with a simplified repertoire in the fall, with his fastball sitting at 92-94 mph and topping out at 96 with a bit of sink and run. His best breaking ball used to be his low-80s slider with tilt, but now he operates with a mid-70s downer curveball that shows flashes of becoming a plus offering.

Lakins also has the makings of a solid third pitch in his changeup, which has fade and depth. Though he's not a big guy, he has the loose arm, athleticism and control to project as a starter. He'll work on improving his command and showing that his improved stuff is for real in 2016.

Aaron Wilkerson

He's not your typical prospect being a 27-year old who just got promoted to AAA last week. He went undrafted and played independent league ball for a few years before signing with the Red Sox in 2014.

Wilkerson's pitched well at virtually every level since starting at low-A in 2014. Baseball-reference.com has his career minors line (not counting independent leagues) at 2.77 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 6.8 H/9 in 211.1 IP. If he were 3 years younger and drafted we'd all be talking about him now as a top-200 guy.

I've loosely followed him since early last year. I don't recall where I read this, but he's been described as a "bulldog" on the mound. He doesn't intimidate easily, goes after batters, and battles every time out. I don't know what his prep is like, but if he's open to scouting reports on hitters and leans on experienced catchers, I can see this guy succeeding as a back-end rotation guy. Of course, he could be a long man in the bullpen, but from what I've read about his approach and attitude I think he's got a starter's mentality (or maybe closer).

Most reports I've seen basically have his fastball and curve as average offerings. He also has a change and slider that aren't expected to be average and therefore seldom-used unless one of them develops into an average offering - I'd guess the change is what he'll work on the most to add as a 3rd solid pitch if he's to have any shot at starting as a big leaguer - otherwise, with his current repertoire, he won't crack the rotation and will end up a bullpen arm.

If he succeeds at AAA this year, I'd like to see him in a major league rotation to see how he handles major league hitters. But in order to succeed, he would need a really good game-calling catcher to help.

This thread has kind of gone all over the place now, so I figured...why not.

Last year, the Giants traded Keury Mella (& Duvall) to get Leake. People were somewhat high on Mella (not me). Now he can't find the strike zone in A ball.

However, the Giants kept the more intriguing Dominican SP in Joan Gregorio. All you BA chat boys should ask what their area scouts think of Joan. He's repeating AA ball, but it's not like he was terrible in 2015 where he split time as a RP & SP. The Giants' 1st round SP prospects in Stratton & Beede aren't lighting the world on fire. Blackburn & Heston have marginal stuff. Joan might have a shot at a rotation spot in '17.

Joan Gregorio - Richmond-AA, 24yo, 40-man roster

4gs, 22ip, 15h, 4er, 5bb, 27k

FB: 91-93

SL: ~82

CH: ~84

Aaron Wilkerson

He's not your typical prospect being a 27-year old who just got promoted to AAA last week. He went undrafted and played independent league ball for a few years before signing with the Red Sox in 2014.

Wilkerson's pitched well at virtually every level since starting at low-A in 2014. Baseball-reference.com has his career minors line (not counting independent leagues) at 2.77 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 6.8 H/9 in 211.1 IP. If he were 3 years younger and drafted we'd all be talking about him now as a top-200 guy.

I've loosely followed him since early last year. I don't recall where I read this, but he's been described as a "bulldog" on the mound. He doesn't intimidate easily, goes after batters, and battles every time out. I don't know what his prep is like, but if he's open to scouting reports on hitters and leans on experienced catchers, I can see this guy succeeding as a back-end rotation guy. Of course, he could be a long man in the bullpen, but from what I've read about his approach and attitude I think he's got a starter's mentality (or maybe closer).

Most reports I've seen basically have his fastball and curve as average offerings. He also has a change and slider that aren't expected to be average and therefore seldom-used unless one of them develops into an average offering - I'd guess the change is what he'll work on the most to add as a 3rd solid pitch if he's to have any shot at starting as a big leaguer - otherwise, with his current repertoire, he won't crack the rotation and will end up a bullpen arm.

If he succeeds at AAA this year, I'd like to see him in a major league rotation to see how he handles major league hitters. But in order to succeed, he would need a really good game-calling catcher to help.

Are you sure his name is Aaron, and not Shannon Wilkerson ?

Aaron Wilkerson

Are you sure his name is Aaron, and not Shannon Wilkerson ?

Disregard, Shannon is a OF, my bad.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet, is Travis Lakins SP - BOS..

So far, 19.1IP, 23K, 2.33ERA, 1.45WHIP

The WHIP looks bad, but to be fair opponents have had a .359 BABIP against him so far..

He's pitching tonight and I plan watching and writing up a pitching report on him later tonight.

Here's a little tidbit from MLB.com (Grades: Fastball: 60, Curve: 55, Change: 50, Control: 50) Ranked as the #11 prospect in Boston's system.

After a banner performance in the summer Prospect League and a strong fall practice at Ohio State in 2014, Lakins entered last year as potential top-three-rounds pick. He saw his stuff back up as a Draft-eligible sophomore, however, and he fell to the sixth round before signing for an above-slot $320,000. That he opens 2016 ranking as Boston's third-best right-handed pitching prospect does speak to the system's lack of depth at that position, but also to how good he looked in the instructional league.

The Red Sox think Lakins' pitches regressed because he tried to mess with too many different ones last spring, throwing three variations of his fastball along with a slider, curveball and changeup. He looked better with a simplified repertoire in the fall, with his fastball sitting at 92-94 mph and topping out at 96 with a bit of sink and run. His best breaking ball used to be his low-80s slider with tilt, but now he operates with a mid-70s downer curveball that shows flashes of becoming a plus offering.

Lakins also has the makings of a solid third pitch in his changeup, which has fade and depth. Though he's not a big guy, he has the loose arm, athleticism and control to project as a starter. He'll work on improving his command and showing that his improved stuff is for real in 2016.

I flagged this guy this preseason after reading some scouting reports. I'm really looking forward to your observations.

23 year old 2B Chesny Young is putting up a .344/.459/.475 line also in AA. 16.2BB% vs 6.8K%

This is the first time he's showing any kind of power coming off season after season of batting .300+ but SLGing under .400. If he can grow into 10-15 HR power he because a real interesting prospect.

Chesny keeps raking harder and harder. His line is up to .402/.505/.524 in AA and he's 11/13 in SB. He also made Fangraph's fringe 5 last week.

Rookie Davis SP Cincinnati

Built to be a workhorse @ 6-5 and 245 lbs

Off to a solid start this seaon, last year put up 129 Ks in 130 IP with only 26 BB.

i bet he can't wait to make the majors so that for the first time in his life his name will finally be accurate

here are some of the guys i've zeroed in on in the early going. i tend to go for somewhat weird, offbeat and post-hype guys... i also like bats

Tommy Joseph, 1B PHI (AAA)

was a reasonably big deal a few years back as a catcher in the giants system. traded to philly for hunter pence. then lost the last few years to concussions. 1B only now. but hitting like a bastard so far in AAA. very early going. but he seems to be healthy. and if you look back at his track record, before the concussions, he was doing some great things with the bat. especially when you look at his age. he was in high-A as a 19 year old, hitting for power without striking out a lot. that's insane. yes it was the california league but he was at san jose, which is one of the least hitty parks there. 1B in philly should be open after this year. i mean it's really open right now, but howard has tenure. if joseph keeps hitting he could be called up to replace ruf in the weak side of the platoon later in the year, as he's a RHH. could all fall apart next week but this is my favorite one right now.

Albert Almora, OF CHC (AAA)

still a big name but seems like everyone's cooled on him. had a crazy august last year in AA, now hitting over .300 with a solid walk rate in his first few weeks in AAA. only 22 years old, the only younger player in AAA is (was) mazara. has always made good contact and the defense is unquestioned, if he can walk (and his walk rate has been improving steadily every since everybody buried him for having a 2% BB% as a 20-year-old in AA) and hit for doubles power he should be a pretty good player pretty soon. caveat, probably not in a massively fantasy-sexy way. probably no big HR or SB numbers. but should hit for a good average in a good cubs lineup.

Ronald Guzman, 1B TEX (AA)

was a big deal along with mazara when both were signed for big money a few years ago. by now everyone has decided (understandably, and correctly) that mazara is the guy, and kind of moved on from guzman. but he's still real young for AA (21) and is hitting well to start the year. the controversial fangraphs prospect guy (who i personally like a lot) rated him #7 in the (strong) rangers system before the season, saying guzman was his pick for a rangers prospect hitter breakout this year.

Hunter Dozier, 3B KC (AA)

another guy everyone's given up on. just going off the early numbers here. they're good. his third stab at the level but he's still only 24. not impossible he's figured it out. not sure of this one, no scouting tips or anything to back it up.

Ryan O'Hearn, 1B KC (A+)

another pure numbers job. pretty much the best hitter in high-A so far. and he's in the carolina league, not the cali. 22 years old, neither good nor bad for the level. fangraphs guy liked him in the preseason too. strikes out a bit. if he keeps hitting he could slide into the DH slot in KC whenever they're done with kendrys in a year or two, if dozier doesn't.

Chelsor Cuthbert also fits the mold of guys like Joseph and Dozier.

Cuthbert is going to be called up tomorrow:

http://www.royalsreview.com/2016/5/6/11614202/royals-to-promote-cheslor-cuthbert

the Giants' 2015 2nd rounder Andrew Suarez is off to a nice little start in A-Ball. Ceiling? Maybe Corbin.... idk.

Yesterday: 6.2ip, 10K (7 swinging on the slider), 15 swing & miss total

https://twitter.com/giant_potential/status/725779830046789632

Season: 2.78/1.00 22.2ip 3bb/30k

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=andrew-suarez

promoted to Richmond - AA

(Gregorio promoted to Sacramento - AAA)

Josh Hader has done really well so far only giving up 3 earned runs in 28.2 innings along with 40k's. Not bad considering he hasn't been credited with a win in his 6 starts.

Mentioned him earlier in the thread as a break out guy. Ronald Acuna has had a great start at A for the Braves. 5 tool 18 y/o CF who has drawn comparisons to a young Andruw Jones by beat writers and Braves scouts.

.300/.389/.391 with 11.7% walk rate and 15.6% K rate. 2 homers, 21 runs, 13 RBI, and 12 steals so far too. Someone to keep an eye on throughout the rest of the year.

Nice tid bit, I'll file it away for future reference, thanks

Mentioned him earlier in the thread as a break out guy. Ronald Acuna has had a great start at A for the Braves. 5 tool 18 y/o CF who has drawn comparisons to a young Andruw Jones by beat writers and Braves scouts.

.300/.389/.391 with 11.7% walk rate and 15.6% K rate. 2 homers, 21 runs, 13 RBI, and 12 steals so far too. Someone to keep an eye on throughout the rest of the year.

here are some of the guys i've zeroed in on in the early going. i tend to go for somewhat weird, offbeat and post-hype guys... i also like bats

was a reasonably big deal a few years back as a catcher in the giants system. traded to philly for hunter pence. then lost the last few years to concussions. 1B only now. but hitting like a bastard so far in AAA. very early going. but he seems to be healthy. and if you look back at his track record, before the concussions, he was doing some great things with the bat. especially when you look at his age. he was in high-A as a 19 year old, hitting for power without striking out a lot. that's insane. yes it was the california league but he was at san jose, which is one of the least hitty parks there. 1B in philly should be open after this year. i mean it's really open right now, but howard has tenure. if joseph keeps hitting he could be called up to replace ruf in the weak side of the platoon later in the year, as he's a RHH. could all fall apart next week but this is my favorite one right now.

still a big name but seems like everyone's cooled on him. had a crazy august last year in AA, now hitting over .300 with a solid walk rate in his first few weeks in AAA. only 22 years old, the only younger player in AAA is (was) mazara. has always made good contact and the defense is unquestioned, if he can walk (and his walk rate has been improving steadily every since everybody buried him for having a 2% BB% as a 20-year-old in AA) and hit for doubles power he should be a pretty good player pretty soon. caveat, probably not in a massively fantasy-sexy way. probably no big HR or SB numbers. but should hit for a good average in a good cubs lineup.

was a big deal along with mazara when both were signed for big money a few years ago. by now everyone has decided (understandably, and correctly) that mazara is the guy, and kind of moved on from guzman. but he's still real young for AA (21) and is hitting well to start the year. the controversial fangraphs prospect guy (who i personally like a lot) rated him #7 in the (strong) rangers system before the season, saying guzman was his pick for a rangers prospect hitter breakout this year.

another guy everyone's given up on. just going off the early numbers here. they're good. his third stab at the level but he's still only 24. not impossible he's figured it out. not sure of this one, no scouting tips or anything to back it up.

Ryan O'Hearn, 1B KC (A+)

another pure numbers job. pretty much the best hitter in high-A so far. and he's in the carolina league, not the cali. 22 years old, neither good nor bad for the level. fangraphs guy liked him in the preseason too. strikes out a bit. if he keeps hitting he could slide into the DH slot in KC whenever they're done with kendrys in a year or two, if dozier doesn't.

sticking with all these guys. joseph called up today, of course. dozier's been promoted to AAA (bit of a slow start there, only in like a week), o'hearn to AA (and seems to have just kept hitting). royals beat writer tweeted a few days ago that o'hearn is "rising fast in royals' eyes" or words to that effect. guzman's only hit more since i posted this.

got a couple more:

Ryon Healy, 1B/3B OAK (AA)

24-year-old corner guy. hit well enough last year but not enough power for the positions he plays to be a guy, more of a line drive factory. said he realized this, tweaked his swing over the offseason to add loft. seems to be working, .346/.417/.639, .239 ISO up from .124 last year. K% also up from 15 to 22 but so worth it. playing 1B this year instead of 3B, mostly because of matt chapman over at third, but the way things go, he'll probably end up a 1B. but he's hitting enough for it right now. just has to keep doing it.

his situation is kind of funny because the A's have a huge backlog of 1B type guys, but none of the ones ahead of him are really doing anything lately. in the majors, alonso's doing nothing, butler's doing nothing, canha's eehh. in AAA, olson's not doing much, ravelo's not doing much, lambo's not doing much. so - there's a lot of impediments, and that's a lot of guys any of whom could suddenly get hot, but if everyone keeps doing what they're doing, healy has a shot to just power through everybody and get in there. so who knows.

Paul DeJong, 3B STL (AA)

picked this name up from good old baseball america and their preseason list of "potential breakout prospects". tends to get paired with harrison bader, the outfielder, since they're similar as college draftees of the cardinals from last year who seem to be on the same path. feel like more people are on bader but i might actually like dejong better. dejong actually got some spring training ABs this year and hit a few doubles. supposed to be a good hitter with good power. cards jumped both him and bader straight to AA in their first full season, since their FSL team is such a power graveyard. dejong had a really slow first month - understandable, with the huge jump he was making from a little low-A time in his draft year straight into the fire of AA - but has started hitting lately. zero homers in april, six so far in may. you can do that math as well as i can.

Christin Stewart, OF DET (A+)

i actually skipped this one the first time around because i thought it was too mainstream, but maybe people aren't on him? first of all the name, come on. this is great. this is the best thing since "evan longoria". second of all, he's leading the minors in home runs, with 12 already. he also walks. it was with a really low average at first, but now he's hitting .370 in his last 10. another college draftee from last year, should be up to AA soon. do i have to go on here, i hope not.

Ryan O'Hearn, 1B KC (A+)

sticking with all these guys. joseph called up today, of course. dozier's been promoted to AAA (bit of a slow start there, only in like a week), o'hearn to AA (and seems to have just kept hitting). royals beat writer tweeted a few days ago that o'hearn is "rising fast in royals' eyes" or words to that effect. guzman's only hit more since i posted this.

got a couple more:

Ryon Healy, 1B/3B OAK (AA)

24-year-old corner guy. hit well enough last year but not enough power for the positions he plays to be a guy, more of a line drive factory. said he realized this, tweaked his swing over the offseason to add loft. seems to be working, .346/.417/.639, .239 ISO up from .124 last year. K% also up from 15 to 22 but so worth it. playing 1B this year instead of 3B, mostly because of matt chapman over at third, but the way things go, he'll probably end up a 1B. but he's hitting enough for it right now. just has to keep doing it.

his situation is kind of funny because the A's have a huge backlog of 1B type guys, but none of the ones ahead of him are really doing anything lately. in the majors, alonso's doing nothing, butler's doing nothing, canha's eehh. in AAA, olson's not doing much, ravelo's not doing much, lambo's not doing much. so - there's a lot of impediments, and that's a lot of guys any of whom could suddenly get hot, but if everyone keeps doing what they're doing, healy has a shot to just power through everybody and get in there. so who knows.

Paul DeJong, 3B STL (AA)

picked this name up from good old baseball america and their preseason list of "potential breakout prospects". tends to get paired with harrison bader, the outfielder, since they're similar as college draftees of the cardinals from last year who seem to be on the same path. feel like more people are on bader but i might actually like dejong better. dejong actually got some spring training ABs this year and hit a few doubles. supposed to be a good hitter with good power. cards jumped both him and bader straight to AA in their first full season, since their FSL team is such a power graveyard. dejong had a really slow first month - understandable, with the huge jump he was making from a little low-A time in his draft year straight into the fire of AA - but has started hitting lately. zero homers in april, six so far in may. you can do that math as well as i can.

Christin Stewart, OF DET (A+)

i actually skipped this one the first time around because i thought it was too mainstream, but maybe people aren't on him? first of all the name, come on. this is great. this is the best thing since "evan longoria". second of all, he's leading the minors in home runs, with 12 already. he also walks. it was with a really low average at first, but now he's hitting .370 in his last 10. another college draftee from last year, should be up to AA soon. do i have to go on here, i hope not.

oh, forgot one -

Jorge Bonifacio, OF KC (AAA)

emilio's brother. he's kind of wandered on and off the prospect landscape for years now. one of those guys who's always young for the level he's at and shown some interesting flashes but never really put it all together. well, guess what! he's still pretty young for where he is, 23 in AAA. and he might be finally putting it all together! kind of. currently hitting .336/.382/.582. so that's average and power, both at the same time. usually he does one or the other. the tradeoff so far *this* year has been that his walk rate has been way down. but historically that actually hasn't been a big problem for him, he's always been around 9-10%, and in the last couple weeks the walks have picked up. the royals' current right fielder is jarrod dyson and he's not hitting at all.

Might be too late in deeper leagues after a being on BA's hot sheet, but Josh Ockimey needs to be owned. The 20 year old 1B has a 21.4BB% and is sporting a .303/.452/.616 line in A ball.

just a small note here about alec asher

no, wait - don't go. hear me out

was in the hamels trade from texas to philly, got shelled in the majors last year

but he's been unbelievably effective in the minors this year. still not with many Ks, but nobody's hitting him. currently with a 1.53 ERA and 0.61 WHIP in AAA, and that's even after getting shelled for 4 runs at the tail end of a perfect game try the other night

your first thought is just, you know, small sample, the minors are easy, etc. - was mine too. but i looked into it, and he's added a pitch this year. throwing a new sinker as his primary pitch instead of just (in his words) trying to throw as hard as he can, which is what he was doing last year

here's the article about it

http://www.mcall.com/sports/baseball/ironpigs/mc-ironpigs-reading-fightins-route-222-game-0405-20160405-story.html

it's from april 8th, so it doesn't have anything about the recent results, but they've obviously been great

now the upside here is "effective sinkerballer" which still isn't even that exciting

but for people in deeper leagues, like NL-only etc or deep prospect leagues, this could be pretty interesting. in my league it matters, and i figure others like me are the most likely people to be clicking on the non-top-50-prospects thread

he's probably the next SP called up by the phils at this point

so. take that for what it's worth. he's not the next thor. but don't totally dismiss him, which most people will

just a small note here about alec asher

no, wait - don't go. hear me out

was in the hamels trade from texas to philly, got shelled in the majors last year

but he's been unbelievably effective in the minors this year. still not with many Ks, but nobody's hitting him. currently with a 1.53 ERA and 0.61 WHIP in AAA, and that's even after getting shelled for 4 runs at the tail end of a perfect game try the other night

your first thought is just, you know, small sample, the minors are easy, etc. - was mine too. but i looked into it, and he's added a pitch this year. throwing a new sinker as his primary pitch instead of just (in his words) trying to throw as hard as he can, which is what he was doing last year

here's the article about it

http://www.mcall.com/sports/baseball/ironpigs/mc-ironpigs-reading-fightins-route-222-game-0405-20160405-story.html

it's from april 8th, so it doesn't have anything about the recent results, but they've obviously been great

now the upside here is "effective sinkerballer" which still isn't even that exciting

but for people in deeper leagues, like NL-only etc or deep prospect leagues, this could be pretty interesting. in my league it matters, and i figure others like me are the most likely people to be clicking on the non-top-50-prospects thread

he's probably the next SP called up by the phils at this point

so. take that for what it's worth. he's not the next thor. but don't totally dismiss him, which most people will

Actually, that's an excellent take.

At this point, the key is league scoring and depth. I wouldn't roster him in a 300-minors league but a league with 500+, you could do worse, as long as your league scoring is beyond the typical roto and H2H type scoring - more BB/9, H/9, BAA, etc type categories and Asher becomes much more useful.

5th rounder Brandon Belt out of Texas probably never would have had a thread made for him in this forum in 2010 until maybe August/September. But I know Giants' fans are now watching 6th rounder Steve Duggar out of Clemson to see where this goes after his fast start.

Giants' fans were burned by John Bowker & Thomas Neal in the past (similar profiles), but 6th rounder Steve Duggar has continued to show good plate awareness/discipline. You hope it has a better finish than so many promising OFs in the SF system over the last decade or two.

~290/400/530

iso ~230

great defense

no translatable fantasy speed

recently moved from #6 to #2 in order, setting table for the other good hitters on the team (Shaw & Hinojosa)