Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

***original premise: not top 100, maybe top 50 in '17***

This thread morphed from sleepers to deep sleepers, but one of my guys Michael Feliz just had the start of his season turned upside down.

Finch said he'd go down to AAA to keep developing as a starter (CBS link posted earlier in thread), he was optioned, and then 'Stros changed their mind. Feliz makes the 25-man, presumably as a Chris Heston-ish long man for now.

https://twitter.com/evandrellich/status/716004799452413952

Michael Feliz:

I named him on page 1 or 2 of this thread

Sickels had him at #51 (came out after i mentioned him)

After early struggles, he has adapted very nicely to the long man role.

General improvement on all pitches, especially offspeed

Club still sees him as SP long term

Biggest HOU newspaper started the clamor to maybe have him move into rotation. Hinch says "Not right now"

http://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/For-now-Astros-not-planning-to-put-Michael-Feliz-7923362.php?forceWeb=1

[They also have Musgrove banging on the door.]

I'd love to see Dozier get a shot but where is his path to playing time? Hes currently blocked by Moustakas. Hes 24, so hopefully he gets a shot this year. Kids tearing the cover off the ball.

I'd love to see Dozier get a shot but where is his path to playing time? Hes currently blocked by Moustakas. Hes 24, so hopefully he gets a shot this year. Kids tearing the cover off the ball.

they had him playing the OF a little bit in AA before he was promoted when cuthbert was called up. in AAA he'd been 3B-only until tonight, when he moved to LF mid-game

Amir Garrett was mentioned on page 1 and not since then I'd like to mention him again. He's having a great season so far in AA

5th rounder Brandon Belt out of Texas probably never would have had a thread made for him in this forum in 2010 until maybe August/September. But I know Giants' fans are now watching 6th rounder Steve Duggar out of Clemson to see where this goes after his fast start.

Giants' fans were burned by John Bowker & Thomas Neal in the past (similar profiles), but 6th rounder Steve Duggar has continued to show good plate awareness/discipline. You hope it has a better finish than so many promising OFs in the SF system over the last decade or two.

~290/400/530

iso ~230

great defense

no translatable fantasy speed

recently moved from #6 to #2 in order, setting table for the other good hitters on the team (Shaw & Hinojosa)

2080 scouting report. Comps at end.

http://2080baseball.com/reports/steven-duggar/

i'll call out a pitcher for once - brock stewart, dodgers. in AA. just look at the numbers

klaw tweeted about him the other day, says his fastball is 92-97, so he's not one of those soft-tossing AA control artists, either

has a changeup which klaw called average, sounds like he works mostly with good fastball + command & that makes the change play up

already 24 so he should move fast if he keeps on having zero problems with AA

also another hitter for the pile - austin slater, giants. just promoted to AAA a couple hours ago when mac williamson was called up to replace pence. slater hit like .400 with power in may after a slow start. stanford product, may be shedding the lame swing they teach there similar to the development arc piscotty had. good reports on his bat speed. played some 2B last year but has been in CF this season, probably a corner OF in the majors. giants should have an OF opening by next year probably. slater would have to beat out guys like williamson and parker for it but he's starting to look like he might be a better overall hitter than either of those guys, who are both interesting but flawed. a chance anyway.

Trevor Clifton has started to separate himself from the rest of the Cub pitching prospects. I wouldn't have had head ahead of Underwood,Sands,Steele or Hudson going into the year, but he's coasting along at A+ with a 2.35ERA 3.07FIP 9.98K/9 line before tonight's 6IP 4H 0ER 1BB 6K performance.

Did a little digging on Clifton, can hit 97 mph, fastball and curve considered plus, change-up is "coming along."

Not a bad prospect to speculate on.

CJ Hinojosa has been hitting terrific in Single A, needs to be promoted and challenged more. Walks as much as he strikes outs.

Wish I saw more activity in this thread or more new threads about pop up prospects...

I just wanna see more stuff about off the radar guys, guys who are unowned. That's what I come to this forum for, honestly.

Posted a thread on Anthony Banda that's rotting but I think he's a good guy to keep an eye on. Killing it in Arizona and reportedly more velo.

Yohander Mendez for Texas is killing it. Heard his breaking ball has improved a lot, he's a low 90s guy, but devastating change and now a good 3rd pitch too. Could be legit despite the lack of elite velo. Lefty too.

22 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Wish I saw more activity in this thread or more new threads about pop up prospects...

I just wanna see more stuff about off the radar guys, guys who are unowned. That's what I come to this forum for, honestly.

Posted a thread on Anthony Banda that's rotting but I think he's a good guy to keep an eye on. Killing it in Arizona and reportedly more velo.

Yohander Mendez for Texas is killing it. Heard his breaking ball has improved a lot, he's a low 90s guy, but devastating change and now a good 3rd pitch too. Could be legit despite the lack of elite velo. Lefty too.

I was going to post something about Mendez

Kinda hard to find ones that don't have a thread and completely off the radar

Chad Kuhl is getting a little more hype. 

Miguel Andujar

ronald acuna

Francisco rios

...I still like Alejandro chacin with the state of the Reds peN

Acuna was a huge riser right before his injury, and likely keeps some of the hype at bay for this year.  But reports on him were absolutely glowing.

One name that has come out of nowhere in the Cub organization is Ian Rice. He's an 8th rounder out of last year's draft and he is thus far absolutely destroying A ball. Going into tonight he was posting a .316/.408./.590 line in 142PAs. Tonight he hit his 9th HR. At 22, he's a bit old for the level, but he's also a catcher.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on Dan Voglebach and Teoscar Hernandez...both don't have threads yet on Rotoworld and both seem to be doing quite well this year...

10 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Curious to hear people's thoughts on Dan Voglebach and Teoscar Hernandez...both don't have threads yet on Rotoworld and both seem to be doing quite well this year...

Voglebach is more than likely going to be in any return for a high-end reliever that the Cubs go and get. If he ends up on an AL team with the DH, he's going to be a fantasy stud. Started hitting for more power than last year.

10 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Voglebach will have to be traded to an AL team to really hold any value.. Below-average 1B that will most likely need to move to DH spot to stick in the bigs. That limits his value in a lot of fantasy leagues.

Don't know a ton about Hernandez, but he's repeating AA at close to 24 years old and has a pretty high BABIP.. looks like he has some speed/pop, but struggles to hit consistently for average. 

thanks for the replies...what about Alex Verdugo?  He seems to consistently rank high on top prospects lists yet I haven't read someone be high on him....

Brayan Hernandez slaying summer league right now.

I haven't gone through this entire thread to verify but has anyone mentioned Ryan O'Hearn? Currently in AA Texas league playing for NW A Naturals. In the Royals Organization. Started the year in the Carolina league where he hit 352 7 hrs in 22 games. Then was promoted to AA where he is hitting 302 with 7hrs. Is currently crushing it his last 10 games hitting 405 with 4 hrs with a 13 game hit streak. Plays 1B.

A few guys that have recently been pegged with 60 OFP on Baseball Prospectus..

Miguel Diaz, SP MIL - Grant Jones from BP gives grades of FB:70, SL:60, CH:55 (if that ends up being the case this is absolutely a guy to watch) Sat 95-96 with his fastball and topped out at 98..

Upside of good number three pitcher; risk factor makes power reliever very possible. Ability to throw all three for strikes, confident with all pitches, needs more reps with repeating delivery and will be a starter if he can find more consistency. High-upside arm, risk factor is very high but stuff is there. Has the makings for everything to come together soon.

Luis Castillo, SP MIA - sits 97-99 topping out at 101mph.. Steve Givarz from BP gives future grades of FB:80, SL: 60, CH: 40 

Large frame; high-waisted with a lean slender body; has some projection remaining. Pitches from the 1st base side of the rubber from a 1/2 WU; rocker step; lacks deception in delivery; ez repeatable delivery; above average arm speed with a smooth arm action and a quick finish, 3/4 slot

One of the FanGraphs guys Eric F. said another guy to pay attention to is Chris Torres, SS for the Mariners.. Apparently had a big deal with the yanks for north of 2m, got out of shape and then signed with the M's for around $350,000.. Don't quote me on those numbers, that's going off memory. 

what do you guys think of Chad Green of the yankees?

7ip 2 hits 1 bb 9ks 0 runs last night at Triple A

1.67 ERA in 13 starts in triple A....yanks called him up for a spot start this year and he went 5 innings with 6 ks or something like that

For those of you in very deep leagues or those who just like to speculate. Jose Albertos is still only 17 and signed with the Cubs in 2016 for 1.5M, but he seems underrated because he's from Mexico; Here's a write up from Arizona Phil on his 1st professional start.

"The 17-year old Albertos was masterful beyond his years in his four innings of work, staying ahead in the count (69% of his pitches were strikes) and mixing a 96-98 MPH fastball with a plus-change and an occasional curve to keep the opposing hitters off-balance. In fact, the Albertos change-up was so deceptive that one D'backs hitter injured his right knee (and had to leave the game) screwing himself into the ground on a swinging third strike trying in vain to hit one. The only hit off Albertos was a broken-bat line drive single over the third-baseman's head with two outs in the top of the 1st."