Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schwager

2016 Sleeper Prospects (Non-Top 50 Prospects)

On 6/18/2016 at 8:47 PM, Tryptamine said:

One name that has come out of nowhere in the Cub organization is Ian Rice. He's an 8th rounder out of last year's draft and he is thus far absolutely destroying A ball. Going into tonight he was posting a .316/.408./.590 line in 142PAs. Tonight he hit his 9th HR. At 22, he's a bit old for the level, but he's also a catcher.

Rice was promoted to A+ and has continued raking through his first couple games at the level.

He was mentioned a few times in this thread but Phillies pitcher Adonis Medina went 8.1 with 1 hit, 0 BBs and 4 K's in Low-A tonight. 21 straight scoreless innings and according to Twitter was touching 99 with his fastball. 

He's still a long ways away, but Reds pitcher Antonio Santillan is one to keep an eye out for.  A second round pick in the 2015 draft, he's a big kid with huge upside, with a fastball that touches high 90s and a plus slider.  He currently has a 18.5 K/9 in the first 3 starts this year.  Definitely one to watch in deeper dynasty leagues.

19 year old Meibrys Viloria is still in rookie league, but through 144 plate appearances he is sporting an absurd .455/.493/.766 line. Yes, that's a .455 batting average and 1.259OPS.

I've been waiting to talk about Viloria.  Guy's had a great year.

Crazy stat?  Last year he had ZERO extra base hits.  

I really don't know what to expect of the guy, but even with his freakishly high babip to be hitting .455 and showing some pop at 19 makes him totally worth a flier in deep leagues.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:00 AM, MrMartyBarrett said:

I've been waiting to talk about Viloria.  Guy's had a great year.

Crazy stat?  Last year he had ZERO extra base hits.  

From a recent BA chat

Scott (CT): A player that has intrigued me this year, albeit in the Pioneer League, is Meibrys Viloria. Guy has just hit, and hit, and hit. However, last year, he had (and I could be wrong), no extra base hits at all! Just looking for an opinion on this kid. Has he figured something out, or is he a product of the league? Thanks for the chat!
J.J. Cooper: I’ve been a Viloria fan since seeing him in Rookie-level Burlington in 2014. If that doesn’t make me the conductor on the Viloria hype train I’m at least shoveling coal into the furnace. I’m working up a feature for next week on him. He’s a really impressive hitter and a very high-energy catcher with the work ethic to go with the tools. That league is a great place to hit, but .450 is .450. No one hits .450 and he’s hitting .450. Worth paying attention to.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-aug-5/#rFk7sKij7Xujvf0y.99

A long ways away from the Majors but Juan Soto has hit well all year in the Nationals organization and I'm high on him going forward with his high contact skills and strong approach with some pop. Look for him to potentially advance quickly. Seems like a HITTER.

18 hours ago, garlando said:

A long ways away from the Majors but Juan Soto has hit well all year in the Nationals organization and I'm high on him going forward with his high contact skills and strong approach with some pop. Look for him to potentially advance quickly. Seems like a HITTER.

Wow super young. Now on  my radar. Gonna read a scouting report

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Wow super young. Now on  my radar. Gonna read a scouting report

Definitely a guy to watch in the future. Just thought for those that are in on Vlad Jr. that Soto is a guy you might want to be in on too. Soto had a .960 OPS in the GCL as a 17 year old whereas Vlad Jr is at .808 in Appalachian League also at 17. Soto is in short A ball now and still hitting like crazy 

I almost hate to do this while my waivers are still locked until the season is over, but the next great Cub middle infield prospect is going to be Isaac Paredes. He's 17 and plays shortstop, he posted the following line in the AZL(Rookie Ball) .305/.359/.443 7.0%BB/10.8%K and was impressive enough that he was bumped up to full season A ball for the playoffs. Reports basically have him with more speed and power potential than Gleyber Torres, but not as good with the glove.

'Nother 17 year old who got All Sick in rookie ball is Andres Gimenez, SS Mets: .350/.469/.523. 16.7%BB 8.0%K. High on the plate discipline.

Ben Badler: ". . . our No. 2 prospect from July 2 . . . as good or better as a lot of scouts expected . . . tremendous strike zone discipline . . ."

If you have time/want to take a look. Here is my sleeper (every kind of) list for this season.

Still Available in my 360-minorleaguer dynasty

Juan Soto OF WAS
Carlos Rincon OF LAD
Isaac Paredes SS CHC
Trevor Clifton SP CHC
Daniel Missaki SP SEA
Domingo German SP NYY
Dawel Lugo SS ARI
Patrick Weigel SP ATL
Alejandro Chacin RP CIN
Allen Cordoba SS STL
Phil Maton RP SD
Jesus Sanchez OF TB
Josh Ockimey 1B BOS
Ian Rice C CHC
Leody Taveras OF TEX
Lewis Thorpe SP MIN
Sal Romano CIN SP
JT Chargois RP MIN
Pedro Avila SP WAS
Luis Castillo SP MIA
Chase Vallot C KC
Chesny Young 2B CHC
Wade Lamonte OF MIN
Yeudy Garcia SP PIT
Dinelson Lamet SP SD
Jordan Patterson OF COL

Already taken on the year

Brian Mundell 1B
Andrew Moore SP
Preston Morrison SP
Yandy Diaz 3B
Meibrys Viloria C
Ryan O'Hearn 1B
Brandon Woodruff SP
Jose Albertos SP
Carlos Asuaje 2B
Vicente Campos SP
Travis Demeritte 2B
John Gant SP
Dermis Garcia 3B
Andres Gimenez SS
Mitch Haniger OF
Ryon Healy 3B
Adonis Medina SP
Jhailyn Ortiz OF
Fernando Romero SP
Max Schrock 2B
Edmundo Sosa SS
Luis Urias SS

Daniel Missaki has been on the Brewers...Since this past off-season.