NYR Fan 116894

A.J. Puk - SP OAK

Mike Francesca (Boston): Can you rank the following pitching prospects on who you would rather have in your farm system- AJ Puk, Mitch Keller, Chance Adams, kolby Allard, or Jay Groome?
Kyle Glaser: A.J. Puk above all. Lefthanded arms this electric come around maybe once a decade. He’s easy No. 1 in that group, followed by Allard, Keller, Adams, Groome

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-chat-june-23-b/#2gO81KuMHkuuuR8I.99

• Like 1

Has anyone seen him pitch or anyone have a breakdown of the types of pitches thrown per start?

When I see crazy volatility in game logs I always wonder if this is a pitcher working on something and practicing it in games or if it is just a young pitcher still learning to be consistent with his delivery. I think it was Tallion who wasn't allowed to throw a slider or one of his breaking pitches for a stretch of minor league time to work on other pitches. Just wondering if Puk is doing that or if he is just inconsistent. Anyone know of an insightful blog writer that watches his starts?

On 6/29/2017 at 12:48 PM, hgh22 said:

once a decade? wow...

So he's going to be better than Kershaw, Sale, Mad Bum... None of these guys have a career over 10 years.  Also what about McKay, Groome, and Gore?

Edited by FouLLine

6 hours ago, FouLLine said:

So he's going to be better than Kershaw, Sale, Mad Bum... None of these guys have a career over 10 years.  Also what about McKay, Groome, and Gore?

Kershaw was drafted in 2006 and Mad Bum was drafted in 2007. Also, it's a saying... there can be multiple "once in a decade" prospects in the minors at the same time. All it means is someone like him doesn't come around often.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bash1 said:

Kershaw was drafted in 2006 and Mad Bum was drafted in 2007. Also, it's a saying... there can be multiple "once in a decade" prospects in the minors at the same time. All it means is someone like him doesn't come around often.

hummmm ... they must be teaching a new definition of "once".  Never knew "once" could really mean "multiple"

• Like 1

Guys, there's no reason to get hung up on taking the whole "maybe once" thing so literally. It's simply someone showing a ton of gushing enthusiasm for the prospect. For the record, the individual quoted from the BA chat last June stated "Lefthanded arms this electric come around maybe once a decade. He’s easy No. 1 in that group, followed by Allard, Keller, Adams, Groome".

He's not saying he's better or is going to be better than Kershaw/Madbum/Sale/etc.  Obviously Puk still has a ton to prove, the enthusiastic quote is coming from what the evaluator sees in Puk's arm, it's still on Puk to go out there and harness the talent, listen to his coaching staff and ultimately field results. No one, including the evaluator, knows how that's going to play out yet.

• Like 4

[ Long, tedious, chest-thumping derail deleted.  If you have something to say, do it without attacking other members.  If someone attacks you, be the better person and let it go. ]

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, Bash1 said:

You do know Kershaw, Sale, and MadBum are only 6-7 years older than Puk right?  You also know that Kershaw was drafted exactly 10 years before Puk so that puts him in that decade category.

On 3/6/2018 at 1:03 PM, Dark One said:

Guys, there's no reason to get hung up on taking the whole "maybe once" thing so literally. It's simply someone showing a ton of gushing enthusiasm for the prospect. For the record, the individual quoted from the BA chat last June stated "Lefthanded arms this electric come around maybe once a decade. He’s easy No. 1 in that group, followed by Allard, Keller, Adams, Groome".

He's not saying he's better or is going to be better than Kershaw/Madbum/Sale/etc.  Obviously Puk still has a ton to prove, the enthusiastic quote is coming from what the evaluator sees in Puk's arm, it's still on Puk to go out there and harness the talent, listen to his coaching staff and ultimately field results. No one, including the evaluator, knows how that's going to play out yet.

Furthermore I just have to point out that Keller and Adams are not lefties.... They are righties.  

The guy made a pretty bold comment that wasn't exactly warranted and clearly wasn't well thought out.  Can't we just leave it at that?  I'm not going to defend myself for pointing to the facts any longer it just goes against common sense.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:49 PM, thezing1 said:

Has anyone seen him pitch or anyone have a breakdown of the types of pitches thrown per start?

When I see crazy volatility in game logs I always wonder if this is a pitcher working on something and practicing it in games or if it is just a young pitcher still learning to be consistent with his delivery. I think it was Tallion who wasn't allowed to throw a slider or one of his breaking pitches for a stretch of minor league time to work on other pitches. Just wondering if Puk is doing that or if he is just inconsistent. Anyone know of an insightful blog writer that watches his starts?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/17/addition-of-his-old-curve-has-as-top-draftee-a-j-puk-ready-to-roll/

Puk is bringing back his curveball as a 4th pitch.  Word is it actually looks really good.  I haven't seen it, but that's a good sign because the slider will be more wear and tear on his elbow than the slider.  If he can command all 4 pitches it'll just make him that much more dominant. 

I've got a feeling Puk pitches most of his innings in the MLB this year (see I don't hate Puk lol)

On 3/7/2018 at 6:54 PM, FouLLine said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/17/addition-of-his-old-curve-has-as-top-draftee-a-j-puk-ready-to-roll/

Puk is bringing back his curveball as a 4th pitch.  Word is it actually looks really good.  I haven't seen it, but that's a good sign because the slider will be more wear and tear on his elbow than the slider.  If he can command all 4 pitches it'll just make him that much more dominant. 

I've got a feeling Puk pitches most of his innings in the MLB this year (see I don't hate Puk lol)

After super 2 deadline? I actually think Puk spends a lot of time in the minors. Especially if he is working on a new pitch. Obviously, if he eliminates the inconsistencies he will force their hand, but he really doesn't have many innings in the minors. 64 innings above A ball. Never been beyond 125 innings in a season. He needs more experience, workload, and development that should be done in the AA/AAA imo. 

11 hours ago, thezing1 said:

After super 2 deadline? I actually think Puk spends a lot of time in the minors. Especially if he is working on a new pitch. Obviously, if he eliminates the inconsistencies he will force their hand, but he really doesn't have many innings in the minors. 64 innings above A ball. Never been beyond 125 innings in a season. He needs more experience, workload, and development that should be done in the AA/AAA imo. 

After Super-Two? I think sooner. Perhaps... though I still doubt it... really, really sooner per this article.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/09/could-a-j-puk-land-a-spot-on-the-opening-day-roster/

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, oswald737 said:

After Super-Two? I think sooner. Perhaps... though I still doubt it... really, really sooner per this article.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/09/could-a-j-puk-land-a-spot-on-the-opening-day-roster/

I get the hype (I am a huge Puk fan), but this makes almost no sense for a team like the A's. They can't really limit his innings if he breaks camp with the team, or if they do they cut him off at the end of the year. But if he breaks camp then they are using him to try to compete and if that is the plan why wouldn't they use him in the back half of the year. He can't really work on pitches at the MLB level like he can in AA or AAA. He has never pushed his workload. I don't think there is much to this aside from hype. I just can't imagine he goes from 125 innings to 200+ effective innings at the MLB level. 

Cotton has a UCL tear, any chance Puk then makes the opening day roster?

58 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Experts are saying no.  Oakland should be keeping him down until after super 2.  With Oakland being a low revenue club it makes sense to gain the extra year of control...so they can trade him later.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Experts are saying no.  Oakland should be keeping him down until after super 2.  With Oakland being a low revenue club it makes sense to gain the extra year of control...so they can trade him later.

Extra year of control is only a couple of weeks, though.

Watching the game...announcers tonight likening Puk's clock to Chapman's from last year, in the words of the manager Melvin, which was June

However, Puk is currently not on the 40 man. They go on to say, "it's going to be hard to NOT have him on the club out of spring"...

They continue on discussing the decisions the As have to make regarding the extra year of control. 

(Just paraphrasing as I listen and type simultaneously.)

My take: he will be up very soon...MAAAYBE out of spring, but pretty unlikely with the control on the line...but, soon enough!

*One additional note: he threw 125 innings last year...reasonable to think he can get to at least 150 this year

Edited by TheWrightStuff
  • Like 2

One reporter Martin Gallegos says the gun had him at 90 most of the night, but their beat writer Susan Slusser tweeted that it wasnt accurate and that other scouts at the game had him at 93-94

Edited by TheWrightStuff
  • Like 2

I would be shocked if the as had him make the team out of camp. 

That being said he could be their best pitcher already.

• Like 1

He is going to be drafted too highly and overpaid for in auctions because of all this news/ speculation. I like Puk, but most likely I am out unless I already have shares.

Watching him last night he isnt ready for the bigs quite yet.  Unless I just wasnt paying enough attention and those pitches werent fastballs, it looked like he was sitting at 88-90.  He's going to need better location to succeed with that velocity. 

Edit: Just saw that there were reports of the gun being slow. 

Edited by jdbob11

22 hours ago, Picard56 said:

They have yet to rule it out and are pretending it's a possibility, but it would be a huge shock, and probably bad business, if they didn't send him down to gain that extra year of control.