NYR Fan 116894

A.J. Puk - SP OAK

3 hours ago, oswald737 said:

They just signed Trevor Cahill.  Pretty much puts Puk in the minors to start.

• Thanks 2

Cahill burns me yet again!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

what the puk

do you think hell be up in a month or so?

He only had half a season in double A.  I would say June or even July at the earliest.  It would definately be after the super  2 deadline.

• Like 1

Shut down with biceps soreness...

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that A's pitching prospect A.J. Puk has been shut down with biceps soreness.

An MRI showed no structural damage, but the A's want to be careful with Puk, who opened a lot of eyes in camp this spring. Slusser hears that the 22-year-old left-hander should resume throwing "sometime fairly soon." Puk, the sixth overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, is set to make his major league debut at some point in 2018 if his health cooperates.

2 hours ago, DanObiWan said:

So a DND now?

(2 n/a slots in my 12 team - keep 6 league)

Need more info 

I’m in the same boat 

Biceps is used for deceleration of the arm in throwing. The fact that his biceps is bugging him could mean a weak UCL. Was reading about this in TDG article about Garrett Richards I'll see if I can find the link....

"

Dr. Mike Tanner: He is actually a very interesting write-up after reviewing it.  The short version: I don’t think he pitches more than 140 innings this year. The long version: he had a partial UCL tear in 2016 that he treated by injection (PRP or platelet-rich plasma). PRP itself is showing promising signs from early medical research to treat partial UCL tears, even in high-level/professional pitchers.

His injury in 2017 was labeled a “biceps strain” and a “cutaneous nerve irritation.” To me, those translate to: his upper arm was numb/tingly, and one report suggested that his biceps lacked strength as well. The biceps has one primary job for a pitcher (and lots of other smaller jobs) but that is to decelerate the arm.

The mechanics of pitching are fascinating. A pitcher actually surpasses the mechanical limits of the UCL on nearly every pitch . Meaning that if the muscles didn’t pitch in, the UCL would snap every time.  So when the UCL is weaker, the mechanical forces have to be managed by something else, in his case the biceps. In his case, his arm clearly was ready, and while his late return was promising, I do not believe he will hold up all year."

Obviously it is probably a different situation... still scary none the less.

Edited by Dirtywater97

Well Puk has no luck:

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, there is "concern" that A's top pitching prospect A.J. Puk "may have a ligament issue in his pitching elbow."

Puk was shut down in A's camp last week after experiencing discomfort in his biceps, and that discomfort has apparently now extended down toward his elbow. Heyman writes that the 22-year-old left-hander is "thought to be going now for second opinions" and that "one remedy could be Tommy John surgery." Puk, the sixth overall pick in the 2016 MLB Draft, was on track to make his MLB debut sometime in 2018.

Source: FanRag Sports
Mar 27 - 5:32 PM

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Apparently worked on a 5th pitch.   Should have stuck with 4, he was doing good already.  The only thing he has going for him is the MRI showed no structural damage.  However having a second opinion is not a good sign.  When has a second opinion ever turned out good?   

Was watching the feed on mlb.com and it just came up saying Puk saw Dr James Andrews who recommended Tommy John Surgery...like it's the new fad to have TJS....give them a Tide pod while your at it.  Unfortunately it looks like the worst case scenario.

6 minutes ago, TheBoatmen said:

Was watching the feed on mlb.com and it just came up saying Puk saw Dr James Andrews who recommended Tommy John Surgery...like it's the new fad to have TJS....give them a Tide pod while your at it.  Unfortunately it looks like the worst case scenario.

Susan SlusserVerified account @susanslusser 5m5 minutes ago

A’s say that after consulting with Dr. James Andrews, A.J. Puk will have Tommy John surgery.

Yep. ....Damn

Athletics top pitching prospect A.J. Puk will undergo Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery.

Puk was shut down last week in A's camp with what was originally termed as biceps soreness, and he consulted Dr. James Andrews this week after the discomfort found its way to his elbow. This end result of that consultation is a real shame, as Puk showed tremendous stuff throughout the spring and was in line to make his MLB debut in the first half of the 2018 season. He could be sidelined until the second half of the 2019 campaign.

Mar 27 - 9:33 PM

My usual Rotoworld Blurb Bringer thing.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:12 AM, Dirtywater97 said:

Biceps is used for deceleration of the arm in throwing. The fact that his biceps is bugging him could mean a weak UCL. Was reading about this in TDG article about Garrett Richards I'll see if I can find the link....

"

Dr. Mike Tanner: He is actually a very interesting write-up after reviewing it.  The short version: I don’t think he pitches more than 140 innings this year. The long version: he had a partial UCL tear in 2016 that he treated by injection (PRP or platelet-rich plasma). PRP itself is showing promising signs from early medical research to treat partial UCL tears, even in high-level/professional pitchers.

His injury in 2017 was labeled a “biceps strain” and a “cutaneous nerve irritation.” To me, those translate to: his upper arm was numb/tingly, and one report suggested that his biceps lacked strength as well. The biceps has one primary job for a pitcher (and lots of other smaller jobs) but that is to decelerate the arm.

The mechanics of pitching are fascinating. A pitcher actually surpasses the mechanical limits of the UCL on nearly every pitch . Meaning that if the muscles didn’t pitch in, the UCL would snap every time.  So when the UCL is weaker, the mechanical forces have to be managed by something else, in his case the biceps. In his case, his arm clearly was ready, and while his late return was promising, I do not believe he will hold up all year."

Obviously it is probably a different situation... still scary none the less.

Just here to give myself a pat on the back, lol.

Puk and Honeywell already - this sucks.

Any update on his recovery? Are they expecting him to pitch this year?

3 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

Any update on his recovery? Are they expecting him to pitch this year?

Looking for a mid-season return. Here's two recent updates:

Mid-season can mean a lot of things and we aren't even at the point where setbacks usually occur. It would be a massive red flag if he was not on the timeline at this point in the rehab process. There are so many hurdles left that I would think the odds favor Puk (and Honeywell) not losing their rookie eligibility status. MLB call up for sure, but more than 50 MLB innings seems aggressive to me. Am I missing something obvious with this innings projection?