FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

One of my favorite prospect sleepers this year. 4th round draft pick who had a very impressive pro debut. Looks like a similar hitting profile to Mookie Betts minus the speed.

• Like 2

One of my favorite prospect sleepers this year. 4th round draft pick who had a very impressive pro debut. Looks like a similar hitting profile to Mookie Betts minus the speed.

Somehow missed this post even though I'm all about him. Kid can rake. Like Betts, probably not staying at 2b either tho.

Willie Calhoun LAD, 2B/OF – Calhoun was drafted in the 4th round of the 2015 draft. Playing for Yavapai Junior College last season, he triple-slashed a ridiculous, .432/.520/.952, and hit 31 home runs in 63 games. Considering the weaker talent in Junior College, it was fair to wonder how his production would translate against tougher competition. We don’t have to wonder anymore. Calhoun triple slashed, .316/.390/.519, and hit 11 homers across three levels of the minors. He actually got better as he rocketed through Los Angeles’ system, putting up a .943 OPS in High-A. He struck out only 38 times, and walked 35 times in 73 total games. He is currently a second baseman, but is extremely raw there. He will likely end up in the outfield. Overall, Calhoun has shown elite contact skills, to go along with his elite power. Target in all leagues, before it is too late.

Played high school baseball with this kid in Benicia haha... Pretty crazy to see him on my fantasy forum! He is one of the best hitters at his age I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Played high school baseball with this kid in Benicia haha... Pretty crazy to see him on my fantasy forum! He is one of the best hitters at his age I've ever seen.

For the record, every time I've seen this said on the board.... the guy always turns out to be a bum

I'm a big fan though, hope you didn't curse his career. Gyorko hasn't recovered.

31 homers in 61 games in one college season? Mashed when he got signed. I'm in. I'm telling all my Dodgers fan friends, this is the guy. Obviously not the prospect Seager/Urias is now, but he's going to rise this year a lot.

Heh, I was at that game - he and Bellinger went back-to-back.

All this kid does is rake - bat skills remind me a bit of Dan Vogelbach but with enough defensive value to move quicker through the ranks. With Crawford and Ethier's contracts running out after 2017, there could be an opening in LF for Calhoun come 2018 or even 2017 if he really knocks down the door.

45]

Hot Damn

Eric Stephen@truebluela

Willie Calhoun is 21, was just drafted last year & played only 20 games at Hi-A. Earned the aggressive promotion to AA by hitting everywhere

That AA Tulsa drillers team is going to be so tits to follow.

Willie Calhoun

Alex verdugo

Cody bellinger

All 3 to start in AA. Yusniel Diaz will join in June

I heard nothing but crickets when I took this guy late. Why isn't he receiving more mainstream hype?

I heard nothing but crickets when I took this guy late. Why isn't he receiving more mainstream hype?

I think a big part of it is 2 fold

1) The Dodgers are stacked so he's lower on the Dodgers rankings. If he was on the Angels, he'd be their #1 prospect. Probably a few teams, he'd be in their top 5. Not even in a top 10 in almost all (if not all) Dodgers rankings I've seen.

2) His defense. Most rankings factor in defense. He is a poor defender. He's going to be mostly a bat, which is great in fantasy baseball but less valuable in real baseball.

• Like 2

hes already in AA? any chance they call him up this year?

I doubt he's up this year, but if he gets to AAA and is hot and Kendrick/Utley aren't doing much, he sure could be up if the Dodgers are in the race.

Top ___ prospect right now. 125?

It's hard to gauge. His defense is pretty whatever. From a fantasy perspective, I'd have him easily in the top 100.

• Like 1