FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

17 minutes ago, jb_power said:

he needs to learn to play an aduquate defense

He's worked extensively on his defense for years and it is safe to say he is never going to be good or probably even adequate there. This send down was for service time.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, Letitbe793 said:

He's worked extensively on his defense for years and it is safe to say he is never going to be good or probably even adequate there. This send down was for service time.

Calhoun certainly has defensive worries and didn't exactly light spring training on fire either.  The kid needs more seasoning regardless of service time.

With Ranger’s injuries stacking up I have to think they are considering seeing what he can do - bad defense and all. Profar, Rua and Robinson are not exactly a murderers row. For a team that looked to have a very good offense he could be a move in the right direction. What he really needs is Choo to go back to the OF do he can DH full time though that is unlikely to happen.

Meant to mention he hit his first home run Tuesday night 

• Thanks 1

Profar was already playing regularly at second base, but they really are running out of viable options with all the injuries. 

• Haha 1

Guzman called up to man 1B with Gallo to the OF. He's not a scrub but man it's pretty telling that they're not bringing Calhoun up even with all these injuries. DH or bust I guess. 

I think it could very well be an arbitration piece as well. I’ve read they absolutely don’t want him at 2B but they still need OF help. My gut tells me he is up before May 1st unless he really struggles.

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Guzman called up to man 1B with Gallo to the OF. He's not a scrub but man it's pretty telling that they're not bringing Calhoun up even with all these injuries. DH or bust I guess. 

or they are waiting another few days to gain the extra year of control. ( Hoping it is the later)

Just now, AngryBeavers said:

or they are waiting another few days to gain the extra year of control. ( Hoping it is the later)

True, guess we'll see soon enough

59 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Do they need to hold out until May 1 to get the control on him?

Deshields could be back by May 1 or soon after if you believe him so there would be no need call Calhoun up.

14 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Deshields could be back by May 1 or soon after if you believe him so there would be no need call Calhoun up.

They are play garbage in lf, still a need

Posted (edited)

This was tweeted by Scott Lucas the day Calhoun was sent down:

Capture.JPG

That math puts the date at May 4th.

Edited by pmccurry
  • Thanks 2

Just now, pmccurry said:

This was tweeted by Scott Lucas the day Calhoun was sent down:

Capture.JPG

This - Calhoun's math isn't the same as a guy like Gleyber Torres or Senzel or Kyle Tucker.  Calhoun played 20 days on the Rangers roster last year, so his date is actually more like mid-May.

• Like 4

If Profars injury is serious, maybe....

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 12:15 PM, JFS179 said:

This - Calhoun's math isn't the same as a guy like Gleyber Torres or Senzel or Kyle Tucker.  Calhoun played 20 days on the Rangers roster last year, so his date is actually more like mid-May.

Just read as well - only logical explanation I can see to not having him up yet. Unfortunately guessing it’s another month.

Posted (edited)

It just annoys me they called him up last year honestly. My league runs a service time clock once the guy gets called up, so his contract is a year later for me because he played some meaningless games in September. Cool story bro? I know.

Still though, if you're a team and you're not competing why would you call up a guy in September that you wanna play service time games with the next year? Makes no sense to me. 

Braves were smart not to call up Acuna last year, even though they could have.

Edited by brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

It just annoys me they called him up last year honestly. My league runs a service time clock once the guy gets called up, so his contract is a year later for me because he played some meaningless games in September. Cool story bro? I know.

Still though, if you're a team and you're not competing why would you call up a guy in September that you wanna play service time games with the next year? Makes no sense to me. 

Especially after Willie went home and sat around for the first 2 weeks of roster expansion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Especially after Willie went home and sat around for the first 2 weeks of roster expansion.

Hess sulking and posting some passive aggressive tweets. What did you think was going to happen when you sent him to aaa again?

38 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Hess sulking and posting some passive aggressive tweets. What did you think was going to happen when you sent him to aaa again?

Also Willie Calhoun with his little 2 week stint to end last year lost 2B eligibility.  Otherwise he would have it this year.

23 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Also Willie Calhoun with his little 2 week stint to end last year lost 2B eligibility.  Otherwise he would have it this year.

Yeah well at least I can see the organization not caring about his fantasy elliigiblilty, but yes that's a bummer for us.

• Like 2

If Beltre misses a decent amount of time, do they call up Calhoun and move Gallo to 3b?