FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all seriousness, when was the last time a player started his career primarily playing DH? 

Travis Hafner ?

And shout out to Sam Horn too

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

In all seriousness, when was the last time a player started his career primarily playing DH? 

Miguel Sano did it just 2 years ago... started 78 games, 69 at DH and 9 at 3B.

2 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

any word on if he is gonna be called up by Texas soon?

Did you read any of the last 2 pages?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Everything I've read about this guy is that he doesn't have a position. The move to the AL will give him a path to DH. 

Sitting against lefties?? So he can't field or hit lefties. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but this guy doesn't sound like that great of a prospect to me. 

6 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Sitting against lefties?? So he can't field or hit lefties. I'm not trying to be sarcastic but this guy doesn't sound like that great of a prospect to me. 

No reason why he would sit vs lefties. Not sure where he got that from as he doesn't have an issue with lefties 

10 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

He's 22 so let's give him at least a year or two in the big leagues before we make a judgment on whether he can hit lefties. It will stink if he loses 2B eligibility and becomes UTL though.

Edited by fletch44

1 hour ago, Cdub2k said:

He's saying "even if he sits vs lefties". He's not assuming, jut pointing out the worst case scenario coupled with the 25-30 HR potential

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

He's 22 so let's give him at least a year or two in the big leagues before we make a judgment on whether he can hit lefties. It will stink if he loses 2B eligibility and becomes UTL though.

Should hit 20-30 bombs a year with a solid average, some years might be a very good-great average. Thats very valuable at 2b, its pretty solid as an OF 3-5. It's not going to be a game changing fantasy prospect, but he can hit. I personally own him in an Ottoneu Dynasty League, and I like his value there is going to be good.  In roto, he might not have overall different value from someone like Villar in a whatever year average but swipes 30 bases.   Maybe Schoop is a good stat comp... although he should srike out a lot LESS than Schoop.

There are some red flags (his defense and body) and the upside isn't uber high, but the kid had hit at every level considerably. He had like 33 home runs in 62 games (numbers may be very slightly off) in his year at Ju Co.

He isn't a must have like a Devers, Acuna, Moncada, etc, so he shouldn't be treated as such.

Edited by brockpapersizer

One owner who wishes he hadn't been traded. Glove can be learned unless it isn't. That bat at 2b is Gold. Copper at util.

29 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

One owner who wishes he hadn't been traded. Glove can be learned unless it isn't. That bat at 2b is Gold. Copper at util.

Dodgers arent the type of organization to play a minus minus defender at 2b.   Glove cant just be learned at a major league level. It can improve sure,  but Calhoun was so bad at 2b a small improvement wouldn't move the needle much.

Edited by brockpapersizer

3 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

Did you read any of the last 2 pages?

He probably did and just saw posters spit balling back and forth guessing and making assumptions -- absolutely no reported or team disclosed info.

I don't blame him for asking at all...

But so far no word for reporters or team.

Edited by StevieStats

In the lineup for Round Rock (AAA - Texas) playing LF.  Get at it son.  Free Willie!!!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Willie in the minors has been able to hit lefties.  I think he was more putting a worst case scenario out there.  But at the major league level you never know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Fielding is a question mark

Understatement of the thread. I'd just put him at DH and let him do his thing

1 hour ago, recoilx said:

Understatement of the thread. I'd just put him at DH and let him do his thing

To be fair we haven't seen him in left. As someone who played 2B and OF, left is a lot easier. Then again, maybe I'm a better fielder than Calhoun. Haha.

50 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

To be fair we haven't seen him in left. As someone who played 2B and OF, left is a lot easier. Then again, maybe I'm a better fielder than Calhoun. Haha.

It's all about skill set. When I played I though OF was ridiculously difficult. I couldn't judge a fly ball to save my life. I had great hands and could pick almost anything and was pretty solid at all infield positions, particularly 2B. They just have to find what he is best at, seems like DH from all the posts.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wild Thing said:

Yeah agreed. But watch some video of him. He's like a shorter Kendrys Molasses. He's got the bat but I don't think he has a position. It could change, he's very young. 

The best thing for everyone's sake would be if he DH'd but filled in enough for giving Odor a break that he maintained 2B for fantasy... a man can dream...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wild Thing said:

No you are 100% on that... Left Field is the least demanding defensive position on the baseball field. 

1 minute ago, FouLLine said:

No you are 100% on that... Left Field is the least demanding defensive position on the baseball field. 

Don't tell that to Hanley Ramirez.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FouLLine said:

1B.

There's a reason Cecil Fielder and Billy Butler played there and not LF.