FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

26 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

1B.

There's a reason Cecil Fielder and Billy Butler played there and not LF.

I think this is a big misconception.

It's easy to be a bad first basemen. I bet it's pretty hard to be an elite defensive first basemen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwayzeExpress said:

I think this is a big misconception.

It's easy to be a bad first basemen. I bet it's pretty hard to be an elite defensive first basemen

Easier than elite LF

Who cares about where it is either to be elite, with Willie it comes down to where he hurts the team the least.  That is probably LF.

5 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

Who cares about where it is either to be elite, with Willie it comes down to where he hurts the team the least.  That is probably LF.

or just DH.

We all know what this is at this point. He's too short for 1B, sucks at 2B and LF. Lets let the kid perform for his new Minor League team and see how it goes. Enough back and forth on where he is going to play or not or how good he will be or how bad he will be.

16 hours ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

or just DH.

We all know what this is at this point. He's too short for 1B, sucks at 2B and LF. Lets let the kid perform for his new Minor League team and see how it goes. Enough back and forth on where he is going to play or not or how good he will be or how bad he will be.

I have yet to hear much about Willie's fielding failures this year.  When I look at his amount of errors / fielding % at 2B it's improved quite a bit.

Now the one thing I am seeing is that in 3 games so far Texas hasn't played Willie at 2B at all... Which from an organizational stand point makes sense because they have Elvis and Rougned.

I honestly am left to believe that Willie's move to OF is ultimately more because of how advanced his bat is that they don't want to wait another year or two to develop him as an infielder when Texas doesn't even need it.  Mookie Betts was similar in this regard, he was a fine fielding 2B but OF was the faster track to accommodate where his bat was and then he became an awesome OF.  No, I'm not saying Willie is going to play the OF like Mookie Betts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I have yet to hear much about Willie's fielding failures this year.  When I look at his amount of errors / fielding % at 2B it's improved quite a bit.

Now the one thing I am seeing is that in 3 games so far Texas hasn't played Willie at 2B at all... Which from an organizational stand point makes sense because they have Elvis and Rougned.

I honestly am left to believe that Willie's move to OF is ultimately more because of how advanced his bat is that they don't want to wait another year or two to develop him as an infielder when Texas doesn't even need it.  Mookie Betts was similar in this regard, he was a fine fielding 2B but OF was the faster track to accommodate where his bat was and then he became an awesome OF.  No, I'm not saying Willie is going to play the OF like Mookie Betts.

That's more like it. A post with some new substance. Thank you.

5 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Almost every scouting report I read this year on him was how bad his defense has been and how he needs to be traded to the AL.  I am not talking about random people on here, I am talking about Fantasy/Prospects experts.  Maybe they are just being lazy and not looking to see if he improved, but it is pretty common in that regard.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Almost every scouting report I read this year on him was how bad his defense has been and how he needs to be traded to the AL.  I am not talking about random people on here, I am talking about Fantasy/Prospects experts.  Maybe they are just being lazy and not looking to see if he improved, but it is pretty common in that regard.

Ditto. Every scout says this. I've seen nothing to indicate from a scout that his 2b isn't minus minus still.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:05 AM, FouLLine said:

Willie hit 3 hole as well as played 2B for Round Rock last night.  Not that it means a whole lot but it's something.  I so badly want Willie to have 2B eligibility just for fantasy purposes.  Just makes the guy's value so much better.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Willie hit 3 hole as well as played 2B for Round Rock last night.  Not that it means a whole lot but it's something.  I so badly want Willie to have 2B eligibility just for fantasy purposes.  Just makes the guy's value so much better.

Well at least they havent given up on 2b, its something. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

5 hits in 5 games for his new home, 4 of those hits were home runs.

Should be fun when Texas decides to call him up (probably next year).  They definitely need some sort of a boost to their offense when the time comes.  It's been shockingly mediocre at best this season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

You keep proving them wrongs, Willie.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, KilloWertz said:

Should be fun when Texas decides to call him up (probably next year).  They definitely need some sort of a boost to their offense when the time comes.  It's been shockingly mediocre at best this season.

Texas? Isnt Calhoun in Dodgers organization?

3 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

Texas? Isnt Calhoun in Dodgers organization?

He was the centerpiece of the package LA sent for for Darvish. 

Edited by Baur10

Ahh I see it now, I was confused cause on yahoo database it still shows him as dodgers...

On 8/3/2017 at 10:27 PM, StevieStats said:

Easier than elite LF

The main difference between 1B and LF that would make a difference in terms being elite would be running speed.

But most LFs are good hitters and below average OFs.  The best OFs play CF and RF.  Not say that there aren't elite LFs but while I agree there are more elite 1B's simply because they get groomed there earlier in their pro career LF is a position 3B's, CF's, and RF's get moved too usually.  

But I am also in the camp (yes not mainstream thinking yet) that an elite 1B means more to a team than an elite LF and an elite RF for that matter.  After watching guys like Rizzo and Freeman these last few years I've just seen them save so many runs with diving plays and perfectly timed picks.  Not to mention pick off calls. 

12 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

The main difference between 1B and LF that would make a difference in terms being elite would be running speed.

But most LFs are good hitters and below average OFs.  The best OFs play CF and RF.  Not say that there aren't elite LFs but while I agree there are more elite 1B's simply because they get groomed there earlier in their pro career LF is a position 3B's, CF's, and RF's get moved too usually.  

But I am also in the camp (yes not mainstream thinking yet) that an elite 1B means more to a team than an elite LF and an elite RF for that matter.  After watching guys like Rizzo and Freeman these last few years I've just seen them save so many runs with diving plays and perfectly timed picks.  Not to mention pick off calls. 

I think it is a lot easier to notice an elite defensive 1B than an elite defensive corner OF because there is typically an opportunity every game at 1B. In the OF, days go by before an opportunity presents itself that differentiates an elite defender from someone being hidden in the corner. I assume the plays made in the OF save more runs on a per play basis, but the frequency of the 1B making elite plays probably adds up to a higher number over the course of a season. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I think it is a lot easier to notice an elite defensive 1B than an elite defensive corner OF because there is typically an opportunity every game at 1B. In the OF, days go by before an opportunity presents itself that differentiates an elite defender from someone being hidden in the corner. I assume the plays made in the OF save more runs on a per play basis, but the frequency of the 1B making elite plays probably adds up to a higher number over the course of a season. 

Yeah this is a lot of my reasoning as well.  1B is more involved in the game.

1B though is also the easiest place to hide lack of athleticism without getting "burned".  Don't get me wrong it's great to have an athletic first basemen though just look at Rizzo & Freeman for example. 

Does anyone know what the scenario's would be for him to be a starter next year?  Is it as simple as Choo goes back to CF when Gomez is not resigned in the off-season and then Gallo and Willie split time between LF and DH?  Trying to figure out how to value him in keeper league.

9 hours ago, svdude said:

Does anyone know what the scenario's would be for him to be a starter next year?  Is it as simple as Choo goes back to CF when Gomez is not resigned in the off-season and then Gallo and Willie split time between LF and DH?  Trying to figure out how to value him in keeper league.

Tough to say right now.  I think a lot will depend on the off-season moves by the Rangers.  Presuming they don't go out and sign a LF, and they believe Calhoun's bat will play and his Defence is at least average, then I think they will give him a long look in LF during Spring Training.  From my end, I would rank him pretty highly in a keeper league, because I do believe in the bat and in that ball park he could be a fantasy monster.

• Like 1