FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

And another HR last night.  In 117 games, he has 29 HR's, is hitting .294 and has only struck out 56 times to go along with 40 walks.  For reference Rhys Hoskins #'s in 115 games.  29 HR's, .284 with 75 K's and 64 walks. 

• Like 2

So many worried about his defense and position losing sight of just how special of a bat he is. Don't think you'll hear all those concerns when he's up, it'll be more like how can we get this bat in the lineup every day. Perfect fit in Texas with the DH and good hitter's park.

Nobody is debating his bat, all signs point to it being elite.  His defense is brought up when people ask why hasn't he been called up yet questions.  I just think these organizations don't want to give up on him yet and would rather him play passable defense in LF than to be a DH this early in his career.

• Like 2

No, there's definitely no debating his bat.  He's easily one of the best hitting prospects left in AAA, right up there with Kingery.  It's actually pretty much fair game who the best ones are after Acuna, but obviously Calhoun is one of them no matter where he is playing.  It's just a matter of when he gets called up to show it all in the Majors.

On 8/23/2017 at 5:45 PM, KilloWertz said:

No, there's definitely no debating his bat.  He's easily one of the best hitting prospects left in AAA, right up there with Kingery.  It's actually pretty much fair game who the best ones are after Acuna, but obviously Calhoun is one of them no matter where he is playing.  It's just a matter of when he gets called up to show it all in the Majors.

Yeah so far only 2 (9 innings both times) games have the Ranger's organization allowed Willie to play 2B.  2 out of 21 games so far.

20 minutes ago, It's So Real said:

Any shot of a callup with Beltre getting hurt?

I guess it's tough to predict it for sure, but if he's out an extended period, then one can't help but think it at least makes it a lot more likely since Gallo will be playing 3B.

Edited by KilloWertz

Willie C is a beast. I've never had so much fun owning a prospect before. I can't wait until he gets that call to the bigs. GO WILLIE!!!

I'm excited to see him whenever he does get called up, but geez he's made like 3 or 4 vague tweet references to not being called up yet.  Settle down a bit there Willie, your .268/.311/.495 in the PCL for August was fine amidst a very nice season, but with little defensive value wasn't banging down the door and DeShields has been playing well.  Nice to see him with the great 3 game stretch here though and I'd imagine he's up in a couple days when the season ends just may not actually get playing time we'll see.

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Figures that he gets called up completely out of the blue (no pun intended).  If there was even a small indication, I would have stashed him.  Oh well I guess.

He was even tweeting two weeks ago "I will not get called up" in response to others. It was so matter of fact, that I assumed he was told it wouldn't happen and there was no chance this year.

For my roster, I actually would have rather had it not happen this year. I doubt he plays any 2B so will probably lose eligibility for next year, at least in ESPN leagues. Excited to see him hit though!

3 minutes ago, jorp said:

He was even tweeting two weeks ago "I will not get called up" in response to others. It was so matter of fact, that I assumed he was told it wouldn't happen and there was no chance this year.

For my roster, I actually would have rather had it not happen this year. I doubt he plays any 2B so will probably lose eligibility for next year, at least in ESPN leagues. Excited to see him hit though!

Exactly.  That's why I didn't waste a bench spot on him since the team literally told him he wasn't getting called up.  I only have 2 bench spots, but again, I would have definitely spent one on him and waited if I thought there was any possibility.  Like I said in my previous post, oh well I guess.

Edited by KilloWertz

Willie projects to be an impact bat.  I have a feeling he's already ready to do some big things.  Seeing Hoskins translate the way he did Willie probably isn't far behind.

Yeah it's a shame he's going to likely lose 2B eligibility forever lol.

It bothers me that in both this thread title and on Yahoo, it still says he's a part of the Dodgers organisation...

I wonder if being 5'8 keeps him from being a top, top tier prospect that people covet in dynasty leagues.

Personally he reminds me of Anthony Rizzo, and I think worst case scenario is Justin Bour-- but I'm confident he'll be far more upper shelf than Bour. 

I think he offers exceptionally high floor in addition to a middle-of-the-order-masher ceiling. He's my #3 prospect behind Vladdy (#1) and Acuna (#2). The power and the hit tool are elite grade, and he's reasonably polished. We'll be drooling over his power  stroke for years to come. 

What position will he be playing this year?  Assume he splits time at DH and OF?  11 OF starts in 2017.

Edited by svdude

4 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I wonder if being 5'8 keeps him from being a top, top tier prospect that people covet in dynasty leagues.

Personally he reminds me of Anthony Rizzo, and I think worst case scenario is Justin Bour-- but I'm confident he'll be far more upper shelf than Bour. 

I think he offers exceptionally high floor in addition to a middle-of-the-order-masher ceiling. He's my #3 prospect behind Vladdy (#1) and Acuna (#2). The power and the hit tool are elite grade, and he's reasonably polished. We'll be drooling over his power  stroke for years to come. 

He's not just 5'8 but pretty husky as well. But hey, if it hasn't stopped him from performing so far who knows if it'll be a factor or not.

when do you think he will be up. major contribution this year? or eh

2 hours ago, floppy said:

when do you think he will be up. major contribution this year? or eh

Yeah I'm not sure on this one.  He had a good chance to break camp but didn't.  So that tells me if he starts AAA on fire he could be up before all the Super2 waiting.  But if he doesn't start off well or slumps he could slump himself into a 2nd half appearance.  Calhoun statistically looks like he'll translate very well to the big league level but we should see pretty soon.