FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

According to Bannister Beltre is expected to miss time and the rangers are planning on rolling with a dynamic infield of Isiah Kiner-Falefa and Drew Robinson. So in other words no Calhoun call-up.

This is either a case of the most obvious service time manipulation in history. Either that or Calhoun really pissed off someone in the front office...

Just saw May 3 as his arbitration date, that was a bit earlier than I had seen before and a bit more hopeful than mid-May:

If the Rangers call Calhoun up before May 3, however, they risk him ending 2018 with a full year of major league service and put him on the path to free agency after 2023. If they wait until after that date, the earliest he'd be eligible for free agency is after 2024. In the recent past, the Rangers haven't concerned themselves much with squeezing players on service time because they were about winning in the now. If the focus is about to change regarding the future, so might the strategy in handling of young players.”

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/04/24/doesnt-get-dreadful-adrian-beltre-latest-ranger-hurt

One would think we should be seeing this guy up very soon. Even without all the injuries, this team is totally pathetic. Hopefully Willie can get on a little bit of a hot streak. 

It's hard to cry about service time manipulation when you're batting only .229/.308/.365. It just makes the FO's public excuses look right about you not being ready.

He better turn it up or he won't get that early May date anyways.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philoumenos said:

It's hard to cry about service time manipulation when you're batting only .229/.308/.365. It just makes the FO's public excuses look right about you not being ready.

He better turn it up or he won't get that early May date anyways.

Yep.  He can bitch and moan all he wants but a guy w/ his skillset should be trashing AAA.  At this rate we'll be lucky to see him up after Super 2.

Edited by ragrag

Star-Telegram story:

Thursday marks the day the Texas Rangers could recall outfielder Willie Calhoun without losing a year of contractual control on the centerpiece of the Yu Darvish trade. That, however, is not the reason the Rangers have kept Calhoun at Triple A Round Rock.

"I didn't even know May 3 was the day, and I'm really offended by those statements because they ignore fact," said Daniels, the Rangers general manager. "Some idiot wrote an article that was the reason we sent Willie down, and I found that really offensive. Go back and look at our track record."

Later in the story....

So, barring an injury or two, which is entirely possible based on the Rangers' April, don't expect to see Calhoun playing left field for the Rangers until they determine he is ready for the major leagues.

"He's still working on his defense," Daniels said. "The reports have been really positive on the pregame work he's been putting in. I'm really encouraged by that. I haven't spoken to him. Our message to the staff there is to keep pushing it."

Edited by slaphitter

34 minutes ago, slaphitter said:

Star-Telegram story:

Thursday marks the day the Texas Rangers could recall outfielder Willie Calhoun without losing a year of contractual control on the centerpiece of the Yu Darvish trade. That, however, is not the reason the Rangers have kept Calhoun at Triple A Round Rock.

"I didn't even know May 3 was the day, and I'm really offended by those statements because they ignore fact," said Daniels, the Rangers general manager. "Some idiot wrote an article that was the reason we sent Willie down, and I found that really offensive. Go back and look at our track record."

Later in the story....

So, barring an injury or two, which is entirely possible based on the Rangers' April, don't expect to see Calhoun playing left field for the Rangers until they determine he is ready for the major leagues.

"He's still working on his defense," Daniels said. "The reports have been really positive on the pregame work he's been putting in. I'm really encouraged by that. I haven't spoken to him. Our message to the staff there is to keep pushing it."

The idea that he has no idea that May 3rd is the date is completely ludicrous. However, it is true that generally the Rangers haven't really seemed too concerned about service time manipulation. They were in it to win it, and pretty much played what was their best roster, even if it meant calling guys up before "their dates."

I think it's far more believable that they know that 1) This team is pretty trash, 2) Willie is doing nothing to really merit him replacing someone offensively, and 3) He still needs to be able to play a field position probably.

• Like 1

Didnt know May 3 was the day? This is more ridiculous BS from Daniels and the Rangers. 

His AAA stats last season speak for themselves. More than deserves to be up now especially given the competition. 

His BABIP is low and i expect him to turn this around soon. Not like he's been disastrous. 

1 hour ago, Letitbe793 said:

Didnt know May 3 was the day? This is more ridiculous BS from Daniels and the Rangers. 

His AAA stats last season speak for themselves. More than deserves to be up now especially given the competition. 

His BABIP is low and i expect him to turn this around soon. Not like he's been disastrous. 

Even if his hitting merits a spot, from a developmental POV, why should they rush him if there's no place to even put him?

On 5/1/2018 at 3:17 PM, Letitbe793 said:

a .672 OPS is pretty disheartening (right in line with his .677 OPS he put up in Arlington last year - in 13 games)

I'm more hyped about Willie than just about anyone other than Lif****z, but this has been super discouraging. I paid up for him big time in a deep dynasty this offseason, and I'm a bit nervous about that decision.

That said, only a few months ago I saw shades of the next Anthony Rizzo, and I still believe there is a star power bat in there. Like you said, the BABIP is low, and he still isn't striking out, which is nice to see. Keeping the faith, though more cautiously now. 

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried. He came around towards the end of his brief call-up last year before ending with a 5 game hitting streak, and even then it's a small sample size. This year he has been K'ing more than he has previously in the minors, but still below average K rate.

For what it's worth, each of the last two years his April OPS was 100 points more more lower than any other month in the minors that season. (Coincidentally, his second "worst" month in both seasons was June: 2016 - .669 April vs .793 in June; 2017 - .823 April vs .924 June).

Also, while the PCL gets a reputation as a crazy hitter's league, he has not been playing in hitter's parks. Here are the latest factors I can find for AAA parks: https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-stats-triple-a-ballpark-factors/c-208823408. So, Round Rock is 10-30% below average than depending if you use 2016 or 2014-2016. Eight of his fifteen away games have come at New Orleans (most pitcher friendly park in the league) and Memphis (also in the bottom half to near the bottom depending on the time frame you're using). He had one 7-game stint early in the season where he got to hit in the Colorado Springs and Las Vegas launching pads. That went unsurprisingly fine with an OPS of .867.

Not trying to make excuses, but to put it in context.

Edited by jorp
  • Like 1

Saw he was out of the lineup today.. anyone see anything as to why? I’m hoping he’s up soon.

I saw another article today that was posted on The Athletic interviewing him and he was complaining about not being up and having to prove himself again and again.  It does seem like one of those cases where he’s “bored” at AAA and will turn it on when he gets to the bigs. I feel like Acuna went through the same this year.

I think it is a bad sign for his attitude and work ethic if he gets discouraged by those things rather than seeing it as a motivation. Other guys have been pissed too by service time manipulations like for example kris Bryant but he responded by mashing and not by crying foul and sucking.

I realize his babip is low and his k rate is ok but at 280 his babip also isn't super low and his ISO is currently well below average too. He needs to get over it and start ripping some extra base hits.

• Like 4

Signs of life from big Willie, 3-4, 2B and HR, hitting .342 with 2BB/3Ks over the last 10 games.  Hopefully a call-up is near.

• Like 5

I was going to post in here earlier but his k rate during may was just below 10% the last time I checked. Just needed the power to show up to the party, hopefully he gets a shot here soon my offense needs a jolt. 

Pulled from the game after his 1st AB.  Presume injury related.  Nothing on the Round Rock Twitter feed from the game as to why yet.

6 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Hot dogging it down the line on a groundout?

Per Omaha's broadcaster via twitter:

Calhoun is leaning on the dugout railing with no trainer visible, so it does not appear that he has any kind of injury. (Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional.) #Rangers

This dude is annoying. He's soo sad that he didn't make the team out of Spring Training. Then go out and make them regret it

Edited by crookedmacs
  • Like 1

I do believe he'd hit better in the majors then he's shown so far in AAA this year.  But he can't field and there are service time issues (probably would want to wait til early July to avoid Super 2). And the fact he's not really hitting just reinforces all of this. You probably won't seem him get any serious major league time until after the All-Star break.

5 hits in his last 2 games with 2 doubles and a homer. Hopefully wakes up and gives the Rangers a reason to get him out of AAA.

• Like 1

.300 avg, .525 slugging in April in 40 AB’s. Amazing a crappy team like the Rangers can’t find a spot for this kid. 

21 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

.300 avg, .525 slugging in April in 40 AB’s. Amazing a crappy team like the Rangers can’t find a spot for this kid. 

I think you mean June, those are his June numbers.

It's really not that amazing when his season line still only stands at .273/.323/.412. He's having a nice month finally, but he's hasn't been tearing the cover off the ball like other frankly better prospects were (to say nothing of his fielding that still needs work).

He'll get called up when he strings some consistency together.

Must be in his head that he deserves to be in the majors and isn't really giving a ____. Easily the worst power season he's had in the minors and he murdered AAA last year for LA and TEX.