FouLLine

Willie Calhoun - 2B TEX

Is this Rickie Weeks part duex? Or is this guy a real hitter and not a bat speed phenom?

Is this Rickie Weeks part duex? Or is this guy a real hitter and not a bat speed phenom?

Outside of injuries, Weeks was a pretty good 2b for quite a few years in fantasy. 3 back to back 20 hr seasons for a 2b is pretty rare these days, one of them was almost 30.

Seems like Calhoun will make better contact than weeks.

• Like 3

Outside of injuries, Weeks was a pretty good 2b for quite a few years in fantasy. 3 back to back 20 hr seasons for a 2b is pretty rare these days, one of them was almost 30.

Seems like Calhoun will make better contact than weeks.

Yep, I had a big time weakness for Rickie Weeks. He also had 5 seasons with 15 or more SBs with a high of 25. I'd bet I owned him over 80% of his Brewers career.

• Like 1

Willie Calhoun has been seething hot over his last 20 games.

Calhoun is going to become a household known prospect very soon.

• Like 1

hes already in AA? any chance they call him up this year?

I highly doubt it... Maybe some September ABs, but the glove is well behind the bat. Talks of him moving to corner OF honestly. Couple that with his slow start to the season and it doesn't look favorable that he'll play anymore than September if even this year.

But a post All-Star AAA promotion seems very possible.

Willie Calhoun has been seething hot over his last 20 games.

Calhoun is going to become a household known prospect very soon.

31 home runs in 63 college games.

I highly doubt it... Maybe some September ABs, but the glove is well behind the bat. Talks of him moving to corner OF honestly. Couple that with his slow start to the season and it doesn't look favorable that he'll play anymore than September if even this year.

Dodgers have so much youth at OF now and OF prospects besides Calhoun that it just really seems like they want to push him to be a 2b.

• Like 1

Dodgers have so much youth at OF now and OF prospects besides Calhoun that it just really seems like they want to push him to be a 2b.

Indeed. But if they truly need him to stick at 2B it will slow his MLB debut. Calhoun has one of the most advanced bats for his age but still needs to work on the leather. Right now The Dodgers are giving him the chance, as depth wise it would be great for them if he could become an adequate big league 2nd baseman.

I am personally hoping he can stick at 2B as I've already had Betts moved to the OF in my keeper leagues and would hate for the same to happen for Willie.

Indeed. But if they truly need him to stick at 2B it will slow his MLB debut. Calhoun has one of the most advanced bats for his age but still needs to work on the leather. Right now The Dodgers are giving him the chance, as depth wise it would be great for them if he could become an adequate big league 2nd baseman.

I am personally hoping he can stick at 2B as I've already had Betts moved to the OF in my keeper leagues and would hate for the same to happen for Willie.

At least with Mookie he was coming into a situation with Pedroia there very much in his prime. I mean Pedroia is playing great now, 2 years ago he was pretty damn good.

Dodgers don't have anything close to a prime Pedroia so I think Calhoun's chances are much better than Betts to stick at 2nd, even if he isn't as good a fielder.

• Like 1

If you're in a deeper keeper / dynasty league and this guy is available do yourself a favor and pick him up. He's really starting to heat up.

dodgers plan to give him every opportunity to stay at 2b...

On 6/1/2016 at 1:27 PM, FouLLine said:

If you're in a deeper keeper / dynasty league and this guy is available do yourself a favor and pick him up.  He's really starting to heat up.

how are we supposed to pick him up if hes not in the player pool?

6 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

how are we supposed to pick him up if hes not in the player pool?

My Dynasty league, as with others, have minor league rosters that are on a google spreadsheet, or something of the like. Commish makes it readable to everyone but he adds/drops and demotes/promotes players once they reach the bigs. 

• Like 1

We do something similar, except that everyone in the league can edit the spreadsheet themselves, but only as to their own specific section of the spreadsheet. It's some hi tech stuff, gotta give my commissioner credit for setting it all up.

You can get a look here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14WvdSaZHPTRAbZwcptSMtV-LmZjDdUPbad7u9OqUB6I/edit#gid=650188109

Best thing is you can add Japanese guys, anyone you want. I'm sitting on Maitan and Otani right now. Love not being limited by a player pool.

• Like 3

People say I'm crazy for saying this but I think he'll have better numbers than Bregman end of season.  He's on his way to top 10 prospect status and his bat will probably MLB ready out of camp next year.  But he may get Kris Bryant treatment and have to start in the minors to tune up his fielding. 

I was disappointed not to see him in ESPN's player pool also. In our league, the draft is where you get guys not in the player pool, which makes sense for guys not yet drafted or signed to international contracts, but seems stupid for something like an oversight by ESPN. Been checking every week to see if he magically appears, but I don't think it will happen until the offseason.

CBS is the best for keeper / dynasty leagues... They have a placeholder option that they actually update fairly frequently.  Willie in my main keeper draft was an "unlisted player" back on Feb 1st when our slow draft started.  But he was in the CBS database by the time the season started.

Willie Calhoun is probably the best "hitter" in the Dodgers system currently. That bat is a freaking laser show waiting to happen every plate appearance.

He's nothing special physically; he's 5'8, not ripped to the max, maybe a little bigger boned in the lower area, but man, the bat speed, the hand eye coordination and the ability to hit to all fields is really fun to watch.

Take a look at these highlights

https://minorleaguedodgers.com/category/willie-calhoun/

GIFS of Dodger prospects this season. Great site and just watch all the lasers Calhoun hits.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KTOWNRACER said:

Another HR and 5 RBI's tonight. 

His bat is very special. He generates unbelievable bat speed, and his hand eye coordination is very impressive along with the power. He should become a household name soon enough.

• Like 1